PDA

View Full Version : "nads"

scrubrat
16th January 2012, 04:10 PM
hi all,
I own a 2004 GU Patrol 3.0lt TD. 135,000km's on the clock and as yet no NADS modifications done . I would like peoples input on whether the nads modifications are worth doing.I've just started getting a high pitched whiring noise when the engine hits about 2100 rpm,local mechanic reckons it might be a leaking EGR gasket. I've thought about going the 6.5lt chev conversion route but really can't justify the $29,000.Love the patrol but don't want it to go bang.I know this topic has probably been done to death but there is so much info and conflicting stories out there that I'm totally confused.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Scrubrat

growler2058
16th January 2012, 04:12 PM
Mines old school mechanical diesel GQ so havent got the "issues" however my understanding is you'd be mad not to do the nads

Sir Roofy
16th January 2012, 04:39 PM
mate your right its been done over and over but if i was you id be looking up every thread on here
ive just about got my nads done,it may never happen but ive taken the step to try and avoid it
i love my rig and im prepaired to look after it

why spend all that money on a motor that you cant afford from what ive read there not much chop
for a few hundred bucks do the nads and enjoy your rig

have a look at snickos post on here
i think its in engine driveline section

scrubrat
17th January 2012, 12:14 AM
Have just spent hours reading thread after thread, going ahead with the mods,i too love the patrol and as you said roofy,a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Cheers Guys

the ferret
17th January 2012, 12:35 AM
Have just spent hours reading thread after thread, going ahead with the mods,i too love the patrol and as you said roofy,a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Cheers Guys

NOW ya talk'n.
Cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
17th January 2012, 06:36 AM
Good to hear mate

bastardo
17th January 2012, 09:54 PM
in the same boat as well.

Bigrig
17th January 2012, 10:22 PM
I may have missed it, but what does nads stand for and what does it actually entail??

I know it's not for mine (3.0ltr diesels commonly I'm assuming) but just interested.

Chaz
17th January 2012, 10:55 PM
I may have missed it, but what does nads stand for and what does it actually entail??

I know it's not for mine (3.0ltr diesels commonly I'm assuming) but just interested.

"Nissan Anti-Detonation System”

rmoore
18th January 2012, 03:37 PM
"Nissan Anti-Detonation System”
And in English that means??????

the ferret
18th January 2012, 03:48 PM
In any language it means that unless you do the mods (NADS) particularly on the ZD30 DI, you run a very high risk of number 3 and 4 pistons grabbing hold of the cylinder wall and causing the motor to be replaced. KA BOOM!! capish? finito, end of story, finito la musica, vooshtabar.............. BANG!
Cheers, the ferret.

Bob
18th January 2012, 03:54 PM
In any language it means that unless you do the mods (NADS) particularly on the ZD30 DI, you run a very high risk of number 3 and 4 pistons grabbing hold of the cylinder wall and causing the motor to be replaced. KA BOOM!! capish? finito, end of story, finito la musica, vooshtabar.............. BANG!
Cheers, the ferret.

Now I really like that description.

Sir Roofy
18th January 2012, 05:47 PM
in any language it means that unless you do the mods (nads) particularly on the zd30 di, you run a very high risk of number 3 and 4 pistons grabbing hold of the cylinder wall and causing the motor to be replaced. Ka boom!! Capish? Finito, end of story, finito la musica, vooshtabar.............. Bang!
Cheers, the ferret.

very poetic there mate just love the way it rolls of the tongue

the ferret
18th January 2012, 06:26 PM
very poetic there mate just love the way it rolls of the tongue

Sorry Roofy, I left out the "Knuck Knuck Knuck!!

Sir Roofy
18th January 2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry Roofy, I left out the "Knuck Knuck Knuck!!

lol who cares it was golden

stock patrol
19th January 2012, 10:35 PM
mate your right its been done over and over but if i was you id be looking up every thread on here
ive just about got my nads done,it may never happen but ive taken the step to try and avoid it
i love my rig and im prepaired to look after it

why spend all that money on a motor that you cant afford from what ive read there not much chop
for a few hundred bucks do the nads and enjoy your rig

have a look at snickos post on here
i think its in engine driveline section

guys I know i'm new here but is this"nads" you talk of.

YNOT
19th January 2012, 10:39 PM
Nissan Anti Detonation System. A series of modifications designed to over come reliabillity issues with the ZD30Di motors.

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4421-Caring-for-your-diesel&highlight=gren02

Tony

Robo
19th January 2012, 11:50 PM
If nothing at least fit catch can to improve clean air intake,more fresh air = more oxygen.

the ferret
20th January 2012, 12:14 AM
Nissan Anti Detonation System. A series of modifications designed to over come reliabillity issues with the ZD30Di motors.

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4421-Caring-for-your-diesel&highlight=gren02

Tony

Hiya Tony, question: Do you think that the vapour from the PCV acts as an upper cylinder lubricant.
And do you think that after blocking the EGR, is there still a need for a catch can, as there would be no carbon to stick to the oily residue from the crankcase.
Cheers your Worship!! Rod.

YNOT
20th January 2012, 05:57 AM
Hiya Tony, question: Do you think that the vapour from the PCV acts as an upper cylinder lubricant.
And do you think that after blocking the EGR, is there still a need for a catch can, as there would be no carbon to stick to the oily residue from the crankcase.
Cheers your Worship!! Rod.

I aint no judge Rod!

The PCV oil mist may have an upper cylinder lubricant effect but the negatives out weigh the positives. The reason for eliminating those vapours is to stop them coating the MAF sensor which can corrupt the signal the sensor then sends back to the ECU. The coating of oil on the inside of the intercooler also reduces intercooler efficiency.

Tony

the ferret
20th January 2012, 11:13 AM
That clears that myth up then Tony.
Cheers, the ferret.

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 11:19 AM
How do I go about having the NADS done on my 99 GU 2.8lt TD?
Is it something I need the mechanics to do or can I do it myself?
Any links would be helpful.
Cheers

threedogs
16th August 2012, 11:24 AM
From what I've read it only concerns the 3lt Di 2000-2003 and all Di, you might ask if the EGR block is worth while on your engine, I'd think so

the ferret
16th August 2012, 11:33 AM
How do I go about having the NADS done on my 99 GU 2.8lt TD?
Is it something I need the mechanics to do or can I do it myself?
Any links would be helpful.
Cheers
Yep, block the EGR, easy, fit catch can ,easy, remove butterfly, easy. That's about all you need to do with the 2.8.
The main aim is to prevent oily carbon buildup within the inlet manifold and to help keep the Maf sensor clean.
Cheers, the ferret.

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 11:57 AM
Cheers guys once again, very helpful advice.

DieselSmart
16th August 2012, 01:50 PM
Just so you guys know, we sell a product that plugs onto your airflow meter and is plug and play for 2000-2003 DI Patrols that stops the car going into limp all together. Fitting your NADS will work but for someone looking for an easy 5minute solution give me a PM and I can help you guys out :)

Cheers,
Adam

the ferret
16th August 2012, 02:55 PM
Just so you guys know, we sell a product that plugs onto your airflow meter and is plug and play for 2000-2003 DI Patrols that stops the car going into limp all together. Fitting your NADS will work but for someone looking for an easy 5minute solution give me a PM and I can help you guys out :)

Cheers,
Adam

Sounds good Adam, what about posting up a bit more info on the product, sounds interesting.
Cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
16th August 2012, 07:54 PM
X2 would like to know more

Paule
9th January 2014, 10:29 PM
Nissan not blowing up engine system