PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

mattyvd
16th January 2012, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

Quick introduction, I'm Matty, a mechanical technician by trade (aka resident go-to dude in my circle of friends when something of theirs sh1ts itself and they want it fixed on the cheap, lol...), I live in the Hunter region of NSW and have been into 4wding for a while now.

Currently I'm driving a 2011 CRD ST Patrol, pretty light on mods so far but it's got a snorkel, ARB deluxe bar and Warn 9.5xp winch. I had a set of 70w HID lightforce 240's until some thieving prick took them. At some point in the future it will cop about 3'' of lift, 33'' muddies, a decent exhaust & a chip of some description. When I have the time I plan on knocking up a drawer system for the back and a bit of bar work.

Previous rides include a couple of Toyota's, namely an 80 series TD that suffered a tragic death on Stockton, and an FZ105 GXL. When i'm not working or camping, the bike is usually copping a flogging.

After owning Landcruisers for about 7 or so years my knowledge on Nissans is rudimentary at best, asides from doing some light mods to my mates' Patrols, so I might be asking a few in depth questions...

Anyways, I'm always happy to say gday and shoot the sh1t, so feel free.

Cheers,
Matty

Dhuck
16th January 2012, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Sir Roofy
16th January 2012, 10:30 AM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

growler2058
16th January 2012, 10:31 AM
Gday Matty welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here full of great info and advice

wildgu6
16th January 2012, 11:45 AM
G'day Matty welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Bigrig
16th January 2012, 01:53 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Enjoy!!

AB
16th January 2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, good to have you onboard!

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

tusman
16th January 2012, 03:18 PM
hello mate sounds like a good base you have their and good plans for it, welcome and enjoy

Gruntgu
16th January 2012, 06:34 PM
Welcome Matty, what happened to the 80 series? Pics of dead Cruiser?

Enjoy the forum.

NissanGQ4.2
16th January 2012, 06:42 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Matty.

Great bunch here always willing 2 help out were they can.

How do you kill a 80 series a Stockton Beach of all places?????...... oh hang on.....that was a Toyota........Won't have that problem with Nissan Patrol *L*

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

Cowboy
16th January 2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome aboard,
In my short time here I have found the forum great and everyone is always willing to pitch their 2 bobs worth in to help out.
Great place to be...enjoy

By the way, how are you finding the 2011 patrol???

Cheers

Rick

Maxhead
16th January 2012, 08:22 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum Matty

mattyvd
16th January 2012, 08:37 PM
The 80 series died in the most embarrassing way ever... it involved early A.M. fishing, an incoming tide and a malfunctioning battery isolator. You can fill in the gaps.. I called everyone I could, and the first to arrive was my mate with his GU4 about 3 and a half hours later, at which point it was to far out to recover. When the recovery dude eventually arrived with his gigantic custom snatch strap it had water over the bonnet and had rolled several times... It was not a fitting end for that machine, I had taken it through hell & back, to all corners of this country, it had 365,000 km on the clock in the end and never missed a beat as my daily driver. I will never have more respect for a car than that one, the 80 series TD is the outright toughest & most capable all round 4wd ever made I reckon. But not very amphibious.

That got replaced with a 105 series GXL 4.5 with a Sahara interior & low K's for about 25 grand. Beautiful car, but the leather, woodgrain & plush carpet wasn't very bushable and after a few calculations I figured I could lease a new Patrol through work for about $25 per week more than what I was paying for the big black Cruiser...

Hence the silver ST parked in my driveway. I've only had it just coming up to a year and have just cracked 20,000km. I'm very happy with it, it reminds me a lot of the 80 in the way it drives, and it feels so solid. I'm happy with the 3.0, but I think it needs to be opened up a bit for a bit more torque, particularly under 2000rpm, there the 80 was a lot stronger. The fuel economy is better however and it does rev out better. But after a few mods it'll be great guns I'm sure. Funnily enough I never had diff or LSD issues with either Toyota, but I like the fact the big Nissan has the toughest diffs in the business. It has already proven itself on the tracks against my mates, and as a tourer on a trip to Vicco over the holidays.

So yes, I'm pretty happy with my first Nissan. I'm planning on hanging onto this beast for quite a while. All heil the last of the PROPER 4wd's...

NissanGQ4.2
16th January 2012, 08:50 PM
that would have 2 of hurt watching that unfold, do you still go 2 Stockton much?, I haven't been out there in years, very nice spot :)

Hongie
16th January 2012, 10:28 PM
gday matty... (another mechanic here, holden trained, underground now)

DX grunt
17th January 2012, 02:51 AM
Hey Matty

Welcome to the forum and great to have you onboard.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Clunk
18th January 2012, 12:31 AM
g'day Matty and welcome aboard mate

timbar
18th January 2012, 12:57 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim