PDA

View Full Version : cooling LPG

red patrol
15th January 2012, 01:39 AM
Gday all,
I was told by a mates dad to take out the thermostat when running on mainly LPG in hot weather(it was running a bit hot 4wding) to help keep the motor cool. anyone herd of this? could it hurt?
cheers Jordan

Gruntgu
15th January 2012, 02:40 AM
When you say a bit hot do you mean the gauge reading right up the top of the scale or just above half?

I just got my radiator stripped and cleaned out was 70% blocked and it was getting hot replaced fan clutch and fan too needle barely moves now towing or offroad.

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 10:47 AM
When you say a bit hot do you mean the gauge reading right up the top of the scale or just above half?

X2 on the question. You can take the core of the thermostat out, but need to leave the 'frame' (as such) in to provide some level of resistance/pressure at least ... otherwise when it does get hot in hard conditions, it will take a month of Sundays to cool down and operational temp will be affected.

How old is the radiator? How long since the last full (and proper) flush?? Is the fan on yours a thermo (electric) or normal belt driven with viscous hub? If the latter, is the fan spinning? The hub might be stuffed and hence with the fan not spinning it is overheating, etc,etc

YNOT
15th January 2012, 12:53 PM
Never just remove a thermostat, that will cause more problems than what it solves. Time for a cooling system overhaul.

Tony

red patrol
15th January 2012, 02:09 PM
It was runnig just over half and then when conditions got wors the temp started to clime way up.
I let it cool for a bit then drained the old coolent out and put clean creek water (fresh) in and it done the job till i got home, then i flushed the radiator several times with a cleaner.
It has been good so far the last few days (needle sitting on about half or just over) but i havent takin it off road again yet.
what is the correct temp the motor should be runnig at?
The fan seems to be working fine, belt drivin

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 02:15 PM
It was runnig just over half and then when conditions got wors the temp started to clime way up.
I let it cool for a bit then drained the old coolent out and put clean creek water (fresh) in and it done the job till i got home, then i flushed the radiator several times with a cleaner.
It has been good so far the last few days (needle sitting on about half or just over) but i havent takin it off road again yet.
what is the correct temp the motor should be runnig at?
The fan seems to be working fine, belt drivin

I replaced my radiator and put a cold thermostat in mate and it sits on just below quarter on LPG ... usually doesn't get past just over half under load, but I've had some issues of late affecting it ... they're getting fixed currently though

red patrol
15th January 2012, 02:23 PM
yeah im going to have to get a new radiator one of theese days i think.
I have never herd of a cold thermostat, where could i get one?
Cheers Jordan

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 02:25 PM
yeah im going to have to get a new radiator one of theese days i think.
I have never herd of a cold thermostat, where could i get one?
Cheers Jordan

Mechanic, Repco, Bursons, probably autobarn and assorted other places mate - standard thermostat runs at about 85degrees with the cold ones being around 72-73degrees ... just opens up a bit sooner - notice mostly on highway driving - sometimes looks like its running cold (isn't though) and the needle sits under a quarter ...

red patrol
15th January 2012, 02:29 PM
Great i will run in and get one of them tomorrow,
Thanks for the help mate.

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 02:31 PM
Great i will run in and get one of them tomorrow,
Thanks for the help mate.

No worries - lit us know how you go ...

jc58nc
17th January 2012, 07:49 PM
My new GQ shorty that's on gas has a replacement radiator and I suspect the thermostat is missing as it only uses the bottom 1/4 of the gauge. I'm about to pull it apart and check it out as I worry more about it running cold !!!

red patrol
19th January 2012, 01:12 PM
I went to autobarn and got the new thermostat and gasket, but the gasket is a papper like material i have never seen one like this befor is it the correct one and is it easy to install?

YNOT
19th January 2012, 02:26 PM
I went to autobarn and got the new thermostat and gasket, but the gasket is a papper like material i have never seen one like this befor is it the correct one and is it easy to install?

That's common when buying aftermarket parts, the thermostat gaskets are often universal paper gaskets sometimes with just the inside hole cut out.

Tony

Gruntgu
19th January 2012, 03:45 PM

They are easy to do, locate thermostat housing remove bolts, remove top part of housing remove old thermostat clean up mating surfaces see how the gasket fits on depending on the gasket may have to trim and cut out holes for bolts fit new thermostat use a thin smear of silastic gaskets or similar on mating surface.

Replace cover don't over tighten bolts refill radiator remove as much air from the system as possible.

I know the 4.5 has a o-ring type seal not sure about yours?

red patrol
19th January 2012, 06:34 PM
It is a triangle shaped housing but yes has an oring shaped seal, is the silastic gaskets of some sort of mating silicone essential or can i put it all back together now and run it untill i get more money next week?
Jordan

red patrol
19th January 2012, 07:10 PM
just had a look at the thermostat housing again and there is a inside ring around the top where it lookes like ther should have been a rubber seal.
should there be one in there?

Gruntgu
19th January 2012, 07:27 PM
just had a look at the thermostat housing again and there is a inside ring around the top where it lookes like ther should have been a rubber seal.
should there be one in there?

If there was an o-ring there i would replace it, i guess if the gasket works should be ok without silastic just check for leaks. Mine came with o-ring but no gasket.

red patrol
19th January 2012, 07:47 PM
Mine had no oring or gasket lol, i might just go into town tomorrow and ask if they sell orings for them because i am fairly sure there should be one in there.

WHITEGQ
21st January 2012, 09:24 AM
Hi red patrol,
My GQ is running straight LPG, I am still running a standard 2 core radiator, replaced it 12 months ago as old radiator core was rottenand falling apart. I am running standard thermostat, twin Falcon AU thermo fans, no engine fan. Mine even on hot days and towing only ever goes upto about 1/3 on the guage, as others have said DONT remove your thermostat, it can cause other problems. Hope you sort out your issues.

red patrol
23rd January 2012, 06:24 PM
All sorted out guys thanks all for the help.
Jordan

lenkeit1234
24th January 2012, 10:06 PM
How did things go. i have replaced the radiator and the exchanged the fan for a larger thermo. i am still unable to get the temp below just under half.

lenkeit1234
24th January 2012, 10:14 PM
sorry finished reading all the way to the end of the post.
do you know how you fixed it???????

red patrol
28th January 2012, 11:34 PM
I Fulshed the radiator and put in new coolent and thermostat,
not as good of an improvment as i hoped but certanly alot better, sits under half now.
Cheers Jordan