PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox drain plug stuck,

BluePatrol
15th January 2012, 12:06 AM
G'Day Peoples
Have a little problem with the drain plug on the TD42Ti manual gearbox, tried the 1/2 inch breaker bar and pipe extension to the extent that it is damaging the square socket of the plug. I have a feeling the nissan mechanic on a recall EGR tube and service, may have used his wee rattle gun. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 12:26 AM
G'day mate - how about slipping over to the introductions section and throwing up a bit of information about you and your rig - a courtesy thing we request prior to asking questions etc - no harm done mate, but let's people know who they're yakking to and you'll get a better response to questions asked.

That said, welcome aboard and hope you stick around!!

You can get a 13mm plug socket attachment from multiple places - including eBay - for under $20-25 mate - id be suggesting using one of those to ensure you don't strip it and maximise chance of getting it out.

Where abouts in Brissy are you mate (North/south?). We are pretty active up here in getting out, so would be great if you could join in sometime and even just to catch up over a coldie. Trip coming up on Aussie day to Landcruiser Mountain Park and you're obviously welcome to tag along with family and friends!!

BluePatrol
15th January 2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks Bigrig.Sorry about the lack of introduction, we'll put that down to me working all day, not reading enough, and first timer. Agh 13 mm socket nearly made one today out of a 3/4 to half socket adaptor. Did not know you could buy of the shelf, will try at repco tomorrow. Again thanks for your know how.

growler2058
15th January 2012, 07:32 AM
I use the drive on my elec rattle gun to undo, HINT make sure you can get the filler plug undone 1st:-)

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Bigrig.Sorry about the lack of introduction, we'll put that down to me working all day, not reading enough, and first timer. Agh 13 mm socket nearly made one today out of a 3/4 to half socket adaptor. Did not know you could buy of the shelf, will try at repco tomorrow. Again thanks for your know how.

No worries at all mate ... good luck with it ... rattle gun good for undoing them, but they shouldn't be tightened with one, so make sure you offer the previous mechanic the appropriate "yeah, thanks for that" when you get the chance ...

BillsGU
15th January 2012, 12:16 PM
Had the same problem with mine. Nothing worked - so I got hold of a large nut - held it against the plug and filled the centre of the nut with weld from the mig welder. Heating up the plug a bit also helps. It then came off easily.

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 02:39 PM
Had the same problem with mine. Nothing worked - so I got hold of a large nut - held it against the plug and filled the centre of the nut with weld from the mig welder. Heating up the plug a bit also helps. It then came off easily.

Wouldn't want to catch that nut on anything though when out 4wd'ing ... great method for getting one out but did you replace it then??

growler2058
15th January 2012, 02:41 PM
I use the drive on my elec rattle gun to undo, HINT make sure you can get the filler plug undone 1st:-)

No worries at all mate ... good luck with it ... rattle gun good for undoing them, but they shouldn't be tightened with one, so make sure you offer the previous mechanic the appropriate "yeah, thanks for that" when you get the chance ...

Like Big Rig said dont tighten with a rattle gun theyre freekn hard enough to get out as they are

BillsGU
15th January 2012, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't want to catch that nut on anything though when out 4wd'ing ... great method for getting one out but did you replace it then??

Yep - replaced it with an aftermarket hex plug.

YNOT
15th January 2012, 04:15 PM
G'day mate - how about slipping over to the introductions section and throwing up a bit of information about you and your rig - a courtesy thing we request prior to asking questions etc - no harm done mate, but let's people know who they're yakking to and you'll get a better response to questions asked.

That said, welcome aboard and hope you stick around!!

You can get a 13mm plug socket attachment from multiple places - including eBay - for under $20-25 mate - id be suggesting using one of those to ensure you don't strip it and maximise chance of getting it out.
Where abouts in Brissy are you mate (North/south?). We are pretty active up here in getting out, so would be great if you could join in sometime and even just to catch up over a coldie. Trip coming up on Aussie day to Landcruiser Mountain Park and you're obviously welcome to tag along with family and friends!!

I couldn't find the tools on EBay but here is a link to a tool place that sells them; http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

Tony

Bigrig
15th January 2012, 04:20 PM
I couldn't find the tools on EBay but here is a link to a tool place that sells them; http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

Tony

Yep - that's one of the mobs that sell it - just had a look myself as that is where I originally saw them, but now they have other items up you have to go into their online store via ebay ... same, same ... may as well go straight to the website ...

Sorry about that ...