PDA

View Full Version : Begining of 4wding....

teno45
11th January 2012, 11:54 PM
Afternoon All,

After reading this forum for the last few days I finally decided to join. I've been looking at buying a 4wd, to keep up with the mates, and to be able to go have a look around if this job in Darwin sorts itself out.

After going from looking at Hilux's, to Cruisers, I think I'm going to settle with a Patrol. Taken a couple for a drive and I like them. Local dealer in town has an 06 ST 3.0L, 115,000kms. Extras include Genuine Nissan steel Bullbar, tow bar and Snorkel, as well as cruise. Apart from that its in pretty good nick, no dents or major scratches, just a bit of trim wear.

There's also an 08 ST 3.0L in Wodonga, Vic, that im going to look at on thursday. Asking $43990, 65000KM, full service history (apparently), Alloy Bull bar, tow bar. Bit high?

On this note, anything in particular I should be looking out for when looking at potential vehicles? Never really bought a car before. Started off with a mini, and I had a rough idea what I was in for there... Then the commodore I just bought from the olds when they got a new car.

Would be looking at doing a few mods straight up, and although the general consensus is that the 06 is outside of the "grenading" range (or maybe not... depends who you talk to), I'm thinking Ill probably be doing the whole NADS install.

I'm thinking straight away put in a boost gauge and pyro (EGT), then purely out of interest, wait a while before doing the dawes valve, needle valve, and EGR plate. Possibly doing them at different times just to see the differences. Also thinking of a 2.5" or 3" stainless exhaust, but with the manual boost controller setup, is there much benefit of the bigger exhaust?

Main reason for starting a new (repeated) thread, I've got one mate (currently driving an 80series cruiser), saying buy a patrol, and another mate (03 Hilux), saying don't buy anything but Toyota. Just looking for some confirmation on my thoughts, or other peoples ideas. Car will be daily driver, with light/medium off roading, but occasional big trips, ie: cape.

Cheers, Teno.

growler2058
12th January 2012, 05:44 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here full of great info and advice

wildgu6
12th January 2012, 06:07 AM
G'day Buddy, welcome aboard
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Bigrig
12th January 2012, 07:59 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Good luck with the hunt mate, but definitely shop around (which I know you're doing) as the odd bargain for those sort of dollars comes up every now and then. Any reason you aren't looking at a TD42t ?? Tough as guts, last forever and a bit more get up and go than the 3.0ltr.

Either way, all the best and hope you find a rock solid rig to suit the needs!!

Enjoy!!

Sir Roofy
12th January 2012, 08:08 AM
welcome aboard mate the 3ls are ok just be mindful they
are a tad touchy but ive got one and am enjoying it
enjoy your stay

Dhuck
12th January 2012, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

AB
12th January 2012, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, with that kind of budget I would also be looking for a TD42. Like what Bigrig said, is there any particular reason your not looking at a TD42 or just have your heart set on the 3litre?

Clunk
13th January 2012, 02:39 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard........... as AB and Bigrig have said, for those dollars I'd be looking at an older td42 as well. But if you go a 3ltr with some love and affection, you'll do no wrong mate, after all, it's a Patrol!!!! lol..................... good luck with it which ever way you go mate, hopefully you stick around, join in and have some fun

Maxhead
13th January 2012, 05:25 AM
G'Day Teno, welcome to the forum mate

Rip'n'Shred
13th January 2012, 08:04 AM
Afternoon

Main reason for starting a new (repeated) thread, I've got one mate (currently driving an 80series cruiser), saying buy a patrol, and another mate (03 Hilux), saying don't buy anything but Toyota. Just looking for some confirmation on my thoughts, or other peoples ideas. Car will be daily driver, with light/medium off roading, but occasional big trips, ie:

Gday mate and welcome. I've had cruisers and hiluxs and patrol and it all comes down to what you want. Hilux is different use due to being a ute, cruisers get bogged and patrols pull them out :). Seriously though patrols are a great thing. Very strong. Stronger than cruiser.

Gruntgu
13th January 2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome Teno...enjoy.

Kram
13th January 2012, 03:18 PM
G'Day Teno, you can't go wrong with the Patrols, plus 'bout $20k cheaper than a Toyota and do everything they can do so I don't think you will be disappointed. Husta

DX grunt
14th January 2012, 10:18 AM
G'day Teno

The only thing I would be aware of is the 'one owner' adverts. Do your homework.

The one owner might be the state government, but has 50,000 drivers. lol

Some would have driven it with respect, some would have driven it like they had stolen it.

I'd be getting a REVS check done, too. It's free over the phone, but I think it's about $10 to have it in writing.

All the best.

Rossco

der
29th January 2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Mate, Welcome to the forum and enjoy you stay!