PDA

View Full Version : Changing 3.0lt for 4.2lt in 04 Wagon Manual

Cowboy
9th January 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi all,
Is it possible to put a 4.2 into a 04 model manual wagon that currently has a 3.0lt in it.
If so, what is needed to do and has anyone got an approx cost for s/h 4.2 or reco??

Cheers

Rick

Sir Roofy
9th January 2012, 09:46 PM
this could be an interesting build if you get it of the ground
keep us posted if you go ahead with it

Maxhead
9th January 2012, 09:52 PM
Definitely posible and many have done it. I think Marks Adaptors (http://www.marks4wd.com/) do the kit for it . I'm not really sure on the cost but a mate of a mate got a new crate motor and got it fited and cost him $20g's but that was with the tranny as well

Cowboy
9th January 2012, 10:14 PM
this could be an interesting build if you get it of the ground
keep us posted if you go ahead with it

Unfortunately, I am in a position of doing it, if possible and at a reasonable cost.
The 3.0lt head spat the dummy after 235000km's, so deciding on what to do.

Cheers

Cowboy
9th January 2012, 10:17 PM
Definitely posible and many have done it. I think Marks Adaptors (http://www.marks4wd.com/) do the kit for it . I'm not really sure on the cost but a mate of a mate got a new crate motor and got it fited and cost him $20g's but that was with the tranny as well

Thanks mate,
To replace the 3.0lt (new) is 13000.00 so may be worth a look at an overall package.
My stumbling block maybe finding someone local to do it as my Mech said no.
Hmmm

Cheers

Rick

grimace
12th January 2012, 10:42 PM
just a sugestion, you could also put a 6.5 chev diesel for around $15,000 i believe that is drive in and drive out engine, gearbox also i think if you want it turboed it is an extra $5,000 on top of that but don't quote me on those prices i was looking a little while ago at the Brunswick Diesel web site. good luck with it any way and keep us all posted with how you go, cheers.....

pugsley
12th January 2012, 10:58 PM
my brother just done that to his 06 gu cost $13000 drive in drive out found the motor down the gold coast at a wreckers 165k on the clock $8000 for the motor with all the changeover stuff

hutchy84
13th January 2012, 01:58 PM
Mate i would Honestly steer away from the 6.5 Chevy diesel as my old man did the conversion and the engine shit it self just after the warranty run out then he was up for another 10 grand after forking out $22k for the initial change over and then not to mention a few of his mates having same issues so you see alot of them for sale

The 6.5 chevy diesel engines come from mexico so crappy parts and cheap crapy blocks are used

Thats my opinion i have a td42t and cant reccomend it enough such a strong and reliable engine u couldnt go wrong

Cowboy
16th January 2012, 08:06 PM
Mate i would Honestly steer away from the 6.5 Chevy diesel as my old man did the conversion and the engine shit it self just after the warranty run out then he was up for another 10 grand after forking out $22k for the initial change over and then not to mention a few of his mates having same issues so you see alot of them for sale

The 6.5 chevy diesel engines come from mexico so crappy parts and cheap crapy blocks are used

Thats my opinion i have a td42t and cant reccomend it enough such a strong and reliable engine u couldnt go wrong

I don't see the point in complicating things by throwing a chevy in :)
Sound reasonable though.

Nah, gotta be a 4.2TD

Cowboy
16th January 2012, 08:09 PM
Ok, with the above said,
Does anyone know of someone in the Wollongong Area, that may be willing to take on the task.
Time to start weighing up the alternatives and the 4.2 is at the top of the list.

Cheers

Rick