PDA

View Full Version : upper control arm's after a 3" lift?

sr06
9th January 2012, 05:39 PM
can anyone help please i've put a 3" lift in only about a month ago just wondering if i should put the ajustable upper control arm's in to stop the shockies fouling on the spring while flexing? i have an 08 GU ST

growler2058
9th January 2012, 06:02 PM
Ive got a 4'lift and only have extended lower arms much bigger than the stockies, but have had no issues thus far with the uppers. May put stronger in down the track

Bigrig
9th January 2012, 06:02 PM
can anyone help please i've put a 3" lift in only about a month ago just wondering if i should put the ajustable upper control arm's in to stop the shockies fouling on the spring while flexing? i have an 08 GU ST

I have a 5" lift and haven't changed mine yet mate - the GU might have slightly different shock/spring setup, and I definitely intend to do mine at some stage, however not sure its a necessity (especially at 3") but someone else will no doubt have the answers!!

Hang tight!!

growler2058
9th January 2012, 06:03 PM
OOps didnt read properly i got a GQ weather that makes a difference or not

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2012, 06:32 PM

That is surprising mate, i have a 3" lift in my GU IV and have no problem at all. what kit did you fit? who fitted it? is it fouling for the full length of the shocks or only in one spot on the casing? is it just the upper shroud or the lower tube? Have you got any pics?

If your going to go adjustable control arms definitely go the adjustable uppers over the extended lowers. what size tyres are you running? did you buy oversized shocks?

macca86
9th January 2012, 06:33 PM
as far as i know with 3 inch lift all you need is springs shocks castor correction or drop box diff breather and extended brake lines.

sr06
10th January 2012, 04:17 PM
i got ROK shocks and springs by ridepro and fitted it my self the kit came with the arm's but the bloke at the shop said he will refund me if i don't need them. it's not hitting as far as i know yet but haven't got under it while at full flex while it's on flat ground i can only just get my finger in there so it close

MudRunnerTD
10th January 2012, 05:12 PM
If your concerned you can also take the top of the shock off the mount and put a couple of washers behind it to space it out a little. I f its hitting there will be some "Bruising" down the face of the shock where it is leaning on the spring under full flex, you will know if its hitting mate.

I cant say i have had a problem with my GUIV and a 3" lift at all.

Hope that helps.

Chaz
10th January 2012, 08:38 PM
If it was a GQ, I would extend the lower arms because they don’t have much guard clearance, but on a GU definitely use adjustable upper arms. For a 3” lift, your upper arms will need to be about 20mm shorter with standard length lower arms to correct your pinion angle.

If you have larger rear shocks, they can easily hit the diff housing under full suspension travel. I’m using 45mm TD’s and have plenty of clearance with adjusted shorter upper arms and 3” lift, but the main concern is the pinion angle. With adjustable upper arms, it’s easier to correct the anti-squat.

sr06
14th January 2012, 09:50 PM
went out the other day and flexed it up got photo's on the new camera but carn't upload them. well there not hitting

growler2058
14th January 2012, 10:32 PM
May have to reduce them to 1meg or thereabouts

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2012, 12:22 AM
went out the other day and flexed it up got photo's on the new camera but carn't upload them. well there not hitting

Upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (Free) then they are really easy to upload here from there. almost a 1 click and your done system from photobucket to here mate.