PDA

View Full Version : trying to understand

ozzyboy
7th January 2012, 04:15 PM
heyas

twice now, i have been told that someone has spent a lot of time on improving my tb42e, because of these hoses. I could of sworn i read somewhere all tb42's were water cooled

Can anyone please fill me in, on why this has been done, ( if infact it is different), and how it actually works?
cheers
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/P1050101.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/P1050099.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/P1050100.jpg

patch697
7th January 2012, 04:30 PM
Given what I can see from your pics I'd say Its had a modification done to the the alloy cylinder head to improve water flow through the head itself & maybe even prevent air locks.

Seen as TB42's have known head issues with cracking due to low water levels & air locking , this may very well be an effective Mod but its not one I've ever seen done to date so I can't comment on its efficiency.

taslucas
7th January 2012, 04:38 PM
Hi ozzie. Im agree with patch, I have heard of this being done aftermarket (it is not a factory option). It helps the head stay cooler by getting a better water(coolant) flow through it. When the TB42's are run on lpg they tend to heat up a lot more and this leads to premature cracking etc. Ive heard its not cheap to do so your lucky it came done:) Not sure if they is any extra maintenance that has to be done.

Robo
8th January 2012, 01:47 AM
Looking at this pic I'm wondering, does your engine take a long time to warm up, it appears to be unregulated flow.
But then again small fitting make for less bypass flow.
Are these fitting for air bleed or simply water or both.

ozzyboy
8th January 2012, 08:04 AM
Looking at this pic I'm wondering, does your engine take a long time to warm up, it appears to be unregulated flow.
But then again small fitting make for less bypass flow.
Are these fitting for air bleed or simply water or both.

no idea.
Warms up as usual. Running temp is approx half on the nissan temp gauge.

i have been having troubles with running hot whilst on the tracks / sand. Just had the radiator flushed / pressure tested etc.
Everything seems fine in that regards, so if these extra hoses to the head are for cooling, i'm not even 100% sure they are even working as intended.
Haven't taken her out yet since the coolant flush so if it still runs hot in low, my guess is it can only be fan clutch.

cheers
ozz

Robo
9th January 2012, 06:15 AM
no idea.
Warms up as usual. Running temp is approx half on the nissan temp gauge.

I have been having troubles with running hot whilst on the tracks / sand. Just had the radiator flushed / pressure tested etc.
Everything seems fine in that regards, so if these extra hoses to the head are for cooling, i'm not even 100% sure they are even working as intended.
Haven't taken her out yet since the coolant flush so if it still runs hot in low, my guess is it can only be fan clutch.

cheers
ozz
It looks to still have std radiator is that correct?.
has it been cleaned externally, they can be blocked that way to.
It's also worth cleaning the air con unit while rad is out, from rear to front, they can block up also.
I try to on advise from a rad bloke I know, clean/flush my rad cores in reverse with compressed air and water, this causes turbulence.
It helps to break crap out internally and float it out.
pipe adapter with airline fitting put on rad hose, I'll take a pic & post here . It's very crude fitting I knocked up in a hurry with what I had on hand on a Sunday arvo, but hasn't broken so it does the job for now.
Externally I use a tool, that uses water and air, came from supa cheap, to flush also.
let completely dry and respray cores to protect em from the elements.
They are constantly being "sand blasted one might say" so tartup doesn't go astray.
Just don't over do it it with paint , you don't want to insulate the cores.
Been doing this for a few yrs now with no problems.
You may be surprised how much crap comes out externally.

Robo
9th January 2012, 10:40 PM
Water pipe with fitting to attach air at an angle with water flow direction.
This really creates a lot of pressure within water system of engine I tend to remove a few hoses so not to damage engine, easily opens thermostat, so advise to take care if you make one.
air in is a modified blow gun and can screw small fitting so it blows again, reckon it blows better than new with these fittings.

yellow gun works a treat like a sand blast gun only water and red nozzle turns to reg water flow.