PDA

View Full Version : ARB Compressor Failure

TimE
7th January 2012, 10:11 AM
My compressor failed yesterday. Pumping away making the usual noises when suddenly the motor changes note and speeds up. No air being produced just lots of revs.

Pulled it down to find the Cap Screw (part 29 in the pic below) had sheered. Mate who is a 4wd mechanic says this is not an unusual failure. My compressor is a CKMA 12 (http://www.arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/3-04.pdf), 4 years old. Fixing it will just require a new cap screw and reassembly. Glad it happened at home and not on the beach.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/arbcompressorbits.jpg

growler2058
7th January 2012, 12:36 PM
Good that its an easey fix and yup bet your glad it didnt happen in the middle of nowhere

TimE
25th January 2012, 10:59 AM
An update.

Things are never as easy as you hope. The sheared end of the cap screw cannot be easily removed from the motor shaft, a back to the factory job. I understand that the cap screw was "beefed up" from July 2009 so this shouldn't be a problem with later built compressors.

My compressor is out of warranty by 2 years, but ARB have come to the party and as a "good will" gesture have agreed to replace with a new model. Their good will is perhaps prompted by the $'000 of ARB gear I have bolted to my truck.

In any case a good result all around.

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 11:26 AM
Glad to hear you got a decent result either way mate!!

TimE
25th January 2012, 02:23 PM
Just finished putting it back in the truck. Works like a new one :D

rottodiver
16th February 2012, 10:22 AM
An update.

Things are never as easy as you hope. The sheared end of the cap screw cannot be easily removed from the motor shaft, a back to the factory job. I understand that the cap screw was "beefed up" from July 2009 so this shouldn't be a problem with later built compressors.

My compressor is out of warranty by 2 years, but ARB have come to the party and as a "good will" gesture have agreed to replace with a new model. Their good will is perhaps prompted by the $'000 of ARB gear I have bolted to my truck.

In any case a good result all around.

that is awesome that finally arb can make a "good will gesture"..... are they under new management or something, all the problems i have had with anything like that they dont want to know and i have a ridiculous amount of $$ worth of ARB
maybe they are starting to mend there ways....

Finally some good news about ARB service!!!!

Scotty

macca
16th February 2012, 10:35 AM
Broke part #29 on 2 occasions, 1st time after crossing the Sipmson, playing on Big Red at 10psi.
Didn't know what happened untill I got home.
Happened again at home here, after 2nd repair I had to pay for I was lacking trust.
Washed under bonnet after a day on Stockton with the garden hose and waterproof motor filled with water and rusted solid.
It was about then I refused to put it back in my 4B.
Very very un-happy with ARB and have a real good look at alternatives before I buy their products now.
I am suspicious of marketing budgets exceeding product quality, IYKWIM.
Glad to hear they gave you an upgrade, the 4mm bolt is just not strong enough.