PDA

View Full Version : How long is ya dipstick!

on-patrol
6th January 2012, 04:39 AM
I've got a '96 TD42 and the end of the dipstick is missing. We think/hope it came out in the oil change! But what I really need to know is how long the dipstick should be. If anybody no here could spare the time to measure theirs I would be very grateful!

AB
6th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Hi mate, 498mm from the underside of the rubber cap that sits over the dipstick hole to the very end of the stick.....498mm.

on-patrol
6th January 2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks mate, you are an absolute star!!!!! Off to make a temp one while I wait another 3 months for one from Nissan. If you mention Patrol to a dealer here in UK they just grunt "Back order" and gaze blankly

Robo
6th January 2012, 09:09 AM
Mate you'll proberly find theres a good chance it's about $40 to replace, bought 1 for my GTR couple yrs back it is still cheap $17 and tube $25 ex japan, freight would be about $20.
so all ya need is a correct part number.They don't list patrol stuff but can get if still available most stuff.
Only thing is you can't ask for parts to suit. You must have a correct part number.
I,ve bought a bit of stuff, more than i care to mention and can recomend these guys highly.
www.rhdjapan.com

macca86
6th January 2012, 01:43 PM
go to a car wreckers and aquire it in your jeans haha or pay them

wheels
6th January 2012, 09:36 PM
Mine is long enough to reach the oil. :-)

Silver
6th January 2012, 11:23 PM
If the end has broken off, the question becomes, 'why is it so?', especially for those of us of a certain age in Australia who watched a famous physicist put eggs into milk bottles.

Now, has the steel cup at the top end of the dipstick slid up the shaft, allowing the tip to encounter something rotating in the crankcase? If so, it might just be a matter of making the steel cup fixed again, at the right length to indicate full?