PDA

View Full Version : '90 GQ 4.2 Petrol with Auto. 'Bout 150ks. Auto toast?

GQsweep
3rd January 2012, 11:02 PM
After a day in the sand dunes and a couple of 'high speed' freeway runs, the auto slips and carries on when it gets warm. Drivable when cold but when warm, struggles. Nursed it home in peak hour traffic having had to park and wait for it to cool to get up one hill in traffic.

Got it home and parked it. At some point I have to deal with it and I wondered if an trans oil change is worth trying first - (oil looks black and foul smelling) or should I bite the bullet and go for a full recon or replacement.

Chris

Silver
3rd January 2012, 11:05 PM
A service might be the first step - remove the pan, clean/replace the filter, renew the pan gasket and fresh oil.

I assume patrol auto boxes have adjustable bands like the old ford C4 auto I used to drive with - maybe they need adjusting.

NissanGQ4.2
4th January 2012, 06:31 AM
A service might be the first step - remove the pan, clean/replace the filter, renew the pan gasket and fresh oil.

I assume patrol auto boxes have adjustable bands like the old ford C4 auto I used to drive with - maybe they need adjusting.

Yes they have a band that can be adjusted

I would start with what Silver has suggested and take it from there.

I'm guessing you were playing around at Stockton Beach, any pics you can put up?

Cheers

Todd