PDA

View Full Version : GQ 4 inch lift + 2 inch body - what do I need???

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2012, 09:10 PM
OK guys / girls, I'm starting 2 price up what i need 2 lift my GQ an extra 4 inches, currently have 2 inch body lift.

I previously had it lifted 4 inches on suspension and 2 inches on body but never installed castor correction bushes / drop boxes etc, so basically I have Dobson coils and Rancho shocks in the shed that I can use, but nothing else.

So what I would like 2 know is what else do I need, I am looking at installing it myself and then getting it engineered before the laws change and it will be pretty much impossible 2 have a lift.

From my understanding I will need

Dropped Arms or Drop Boxes - which one would u go for?
Upper and lower adjustable rear arms
Front and rear adjustable panhards
Front and Rear Braided brake lines
Rear Brake Proportioning Valve bracket ( have one somewhere in the shed from the previous install )
Rear sway bar disconnects 2 suit

Is there anything that I am missing???

Cheers

Todd

growler2058
3rd January 2012, 09:26 PM
OK guys / girls, I'm starting 2 price up what i need 2 lift my GQ an extra 4 inches, currently have 2 inch body lift.

I previously had it lifted 4 inches on suspension and 2 inches on body but never installed castor correction bushes / drop boxes etc, so basically I have Dobson coils and Rancho shocks in the shed that I can use, but nothing else.

So what I would like 2 know is what else do I need, I am looking at installing it myself and then getting it engineered before the laws change and it will be pretty much impossible 2 have a lift.

From my understanding I will need

Dropped Arms or Drop Boxes - which one would u go for?Upper and lower adjustable rear arms
Front and rear adjustable panhards
Front and Rear Braided brake lines
Rear Brake Proportioning Valve bracket ( have one somewhere in the shed from the previous install )
Rear sway bar disconnects 2 suit

Is there anything that I am missing???

Cheers

Todd

Id go the extended arms mate, in my opinion i think theyre the strongest option. Dunno about braided lines, over extended "normal" lines, but with a 4" lift you can put the standard rear on the front an save a few bucks

And to fill in those guards youll want 35's or 37's wouldnt ya

chester
3rd January 2012, 09:31 PM
Ive got 5" in mine,i went for the castor correction plate's over the bushes,was'nt keen on the Bushes.

I think you've got it all covered.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2012, 09:35 PM
Id go the extended arms mate, in my opinion i think theyre the strongest option. Dunno about braided lines, over extended "normal" lines, but with a 4" lift you can put the standard rear on the front an save a few bucks

And to fill in those guards youll want 35's or 37's wouldnt ya

nah think I will stick 2 the 33's, going 2 be more of a daily driver but want the lift for weekend playing when I get the chance :)

growler2058
3rd January 2012, 09:41 PM
Everytime i go to loveday i wish id gone a 35 the extra inch clearance on the pumpkins would make a hell of a lot of difference

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2012, 09:45 PM
Everytime i go to loveday i wish id gone a 35 the extra inch clearance on the pumpkins would make a hell of a lot of difference

The day an intelligent person in power builds a 4x4 park in Sydney will be the day I will sell my kidneys and buy 35's....................never!! *L*

bobbrumby
3rd January 2012, 10:30 PM
...then getting it engineered before the laws change and it will be pretty much impossible 2 have a lift...

new to 4 wheeling or living under a rock, is this a nsw's thing?

growler2058
3rd January 2012, 10:32 PM

A national code of practice for suspension mods that the powers above are trying to get introduced.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2012, 10:43 PM

As Growlers has posted, it will be national.

taslucas
4th January 2012, 05:55 PM
The day an intelligent person in power builds a 4x4 park in Sydney will be the day I will sell my kidneys and buy 35's....................never!! *L*

Just trying to figure out which bit was the sarcastic bit...... oh thats it: an intellegent person in power!!!

I think you've got it all covered todd. Once all thats done, all you'll need is mud and hills!!

Goodluck with the build..........and yeah something about pics?

patch697
7th January 2012, 02:29 PM
Given the choice I'd go extended lower rear arms as Growlers mentioned (I also think there the stronger option but some may disagree there).

A pair of adjustable upper rears would be handy for altering diff angles but not altogether necessary.

Drop boxes are IMO the best & cheapest option & caster correction bushes are generally not required when using boxes with a 4" lift.

Super flex drop arms are the goods but are not a necessity either (there bloody pricey as well)

Extended brake lines are a must have but I'd go with Growlers on this also & just get a new rear unless your really hooked on new braided ones.

Rear Brake Proportioning Valve bracket is a must have also.

Front and rear adjustable pan hard are a must have along with an adjustable steering arm to re center your steering box & correct your steering wheel.

Your sway bar links can simply be extended to suit & well be fine as long as there done correctly. A 4" extension is required for the rears with a 4" lift & 2" for the front. Some choose to ditch there sway bars altogether & are happy with there Rigs road manners, I however would choose to keep them both & run after market pin type sway bar disconnects in the front & in the case of no factory disconnect I'd run the after markets same as the front.

Your spring & shocker choice is really up to the individuals taste & requirements IMO.