PDA

View Full Version : What Is this??

Lewy
1st January 2012, 07:11 PM
Just a silly question.. But I have never seen this on any of my Toyota's (yes I used the yota word) lol and whats with the screw thats not done up on it??

See pic

Cheers Lewy

NissanGQ4.2
1st January 2012, 07:24 PM
Sorry mate can't help you with that one, I'm sure a GU member will be along shortly 2 advise you of what it is.

Out of curiosity is that bar that I'm pointing at connected to the diff???

Lewy
1st January 2012, 07:25 PM
LOL Thats just the sway bar I undid it to see how much flex she would have with out it..... Its from this pic and I get nearly 4 inches more with out it :-)

NissanGQ4.2
1st January 2012, 08:08 PM
hahah yeh it didn't look connected 2 anything

who needs sway bars anyway *L*

I'm sure someone will know what it is

Is that block rubber or metal???? looks metal and the bottom looks welded to the bar from the pic

Lewy
1st January 2012, 08:19 PM
Yer it metal and is welded and is on both sides.. Just seems so strange and useless....

Lewy
2nd January 2012, 08:02 AM
Hmmmm So dose anyone know what they are or are there for??

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 08:18 AM
Sorry mate, still no idea, I would take a guess at something aftermarket that has since been removed.

gerard2
2nd January 2012, 09:05 AM
take the metal off it looks like a bump stop and the ather part is a sway-bar but not connect it

gerard2
2nd January 2012, 09:08 AM
normality is there a different kind off sway bar system sorry for my bad Engels i had a look off one off the cars in my shop

pearcey
2nd January 2012, 06:25 PM
G`day guys.
I Believe it`s a harmonic damper. As The bar is so long and is prone to a lot of movement and vibration it cuts down any harmonics in the bar which in turns stops noise and premature wear in the bushes. A Lot of cars have them mounted on engine mounts and gearboxes.

Lewy
2nd January 2012, 07:13 PM
G`day guys.
I Believe it`s a harmonic damper. As The bar is so long and is prone to a lot of movement and vibration it cuts down any harmonics in the bar which in turns stops noise and premature wear in the bushes. A Lot of cars have them mounted on engine mounts and gearboxes.

Ok cool that dose make a lot of sense.. Cheers for that Pearcey :-)

growler2058
2nd January 2012, 07:37 PM
Is thatb the same as what the late an great Brocky wanted onn the Commodores of days gone by hahahahahahaha

pearcey
2nd January 2012, 07:53 PM
In racing we used to change engine mount size and placement to gain a slight increase in horsepower. which is due to changing the natural vibration all engines produce this HP change is measurable.All tricky stuff.

BearGUST
3rd January 2012, 10:55 AM
Yep, dampers are used a lot more on cars these days.
Different sizes and weights for different frequencies of vibrations - used on Drivelines, suspension components and exhausts.

Lewy
3rd January 2012, 12:56 PM
So Im Guessing the bolt on the side of it is to adjust it??

taslucas
3rd January 2012, 02:43 PM
Is thatb the same as what the late an great Brocky wanted onn the Commodores of days gone by hahahahahahaha

HAHA Beat me to it. The mighty Crystal Polarizer on the HDT Senator!

mattandjody
8th January 2012, 10:05 PM
G`day guys.

and exhausts...

Robo
9th January 2012, 05:37 AM
Yes it is a harmonic damper they come in all shapes and sizes.
They also improve the ride, less Rd noise and vib being transferred through vehicle.