PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need 2 spare wheels

Shaunous
31st December 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi All,
Im setting my 1998 GU up for long distance touring, the way I would like to set it up does not allow me to carry 2 spare wheels, also weight being another concern.

I would like to know if you ever get in the pickle to actually need 2 spare wheels. Or carrying tubes, tyre levers and puncture repair kits would suffice.

Also the standard steel rims, do you think they handle the job?, my vehicle has copped a flogging and other then a little surface rust the rims seem in good shape.

Cheers,
Shaun...

growler2058
31st December 2011, 07:23 PM
If you shred a side wall as is a good possibility out on outback track your safety is at risk if you do another one. I would go with minimum 2 spares

growler2058
31st December 2011, 07:24 PM
if your confident about changing a tyre take just a tyre with you at least

AB
31st December 2011, 07:31 PM
I'd have to say carry 2 mate. Especially if you head into sturt stony desert track up north your almost certain for punctures. We shredded both the spares on that track.

Shaunous
1st January 2012, 05:18 PM
Righto guys, cheers for the input. Might have to suss out another spot for it, maybe throw it inside the car.

Shaun...

macca
1st January 2012, 05:32 PM
Like 2 spares myself, never used one on all our long trips (30000klm in 4 trips).... but the day will come.
On long trips we carry a tyre demounting kit, again never used except to push the tyre away so as to clear a bit of bush jammed in the bead.
Have used plug kits a few times though.
The steel are a better option as they can be beaten back into shape if you dent a rim and you can be rougher with them if a bit of force is needed.
Some experienced tourers are relying on tyre pressure monitors and a single spare, I am not that confident.
The best protection of tyres is tread, dont see too much bother with newer tyres but old worn ones.... thats a different story.
2nd best is reducing pressures to suit the terain.
Thats what we have found in our group of travellers.
Macca

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:49 PM
Simply yes, I think the question is, "How and where are you going to fit two spare tyres?" (:

Best to have something and not want it than want it and not have it