PDA

View Full Version : Steering Dampers pros and cons

Robo
31st December 2011, 12:02 PM
Hi. :smile:
Looking at new damper to replace what looks std.
For 93 lwb 4.2 petrol/gas.
2' lift ome f/r, and polyair in r springs as it doubles as tow pony.
I had a Mk lwb yrs back and put a rancho 1 on but was dissapointed with resistance and no rtc.
It seemed like power st had been disconected, ie to heavy.
I'm not planning on going bush, but recon the std unit removed still feels "ok", even in resistance,like it doesnt need replacing, if you follow.
I don't wish to go heavy resistance as it's a daily driver.
That said, trying to give rellitive info.
SO my ? is.
" How do products available stack up ? ".
:newyear:

Silver
31st December 2011, 11:28 PM
two things from my point of view, if it came from the factory with a damper, maybe from a legal point of view, it should have a damper.

My non power steer MQ had one, and our power steer GQ has an OME one - and it seems to work ok - the return to centre comes from the king pin inclination, not that Qs have king pins - but the angles of the trunnions or whatever name they go by in the ends of the axle housing work like shopping trolley castors. Bob over the road put one of the ones with a coil spring in it, in his GQ ute, and is happy with it. Don't know the brand.

I'm not sure from your e-mail whether you are convinced that the current one has stopped working. Maybe take it to a retailer and compare resistance etc with a new one? Often the bushes fail before the unit, esp, as in my case where power steering fluid had dripped on it for a few years, softening the bush at that end.

Robo
1st January 2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah thanks.
like the typical patrol wandering abit I think au rds leave a bit to be desired & think the std unit isn't up to the task.
so i'm trying to get a feel for whats available

YNOT
1st January 2012, 07:31 AM
ToughDog make an adjustable steering damper (the ToughDog EXT) with an external adjuster knob, might be just what you're looking for.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
1st January 2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah thanks.
I think au rds leave a bit to be desired

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.............. . that's the funny thing I have heard in years :)

Robo
1st January 2012, 09:53 AM
Happy New Year.
I'm just after some advise, so whats so funny?.

NissanGQ4.2
1st January 2012, 10:18 AM
Happy New Year.
I'm just after some advise, so whats so funny?.

You writing au roads leave a bit 2 be desired.

I think some 4x4 tracks are smother than some of our roads here.

I got a new damper about a year ago, just got the cheapest one from ARB, think its old man emu. Did not see the point in paying the extra dollars on a RTC damper.

It does the job :)

Happy New Year 2 you also

Robo
1st January 2012, 10:43 AM
yep I agree on the rd bit as you say, I've said a number of times you need a 4x4 to drive on asphalt these days.
Ok, can someone please give me a Idea of how stiff/hard /firm what ever you want to call it the different typ of dampers compare.
I don't need extrem rtc as it's just simply not going there. But I'm willing to coff up $ for adjustable but just want some idea of how they all compare.
Thanks fellers.

growler2058
1st January 2012, 11:13 AM
I got a dobinson dampner not return to centre, much bigger diameter than the stock one that was on. Sorry cant compare as the stocky was u/s but it seems fine in the rough stuff ie loveday. i know benny Boy posted somewhere that he removed his aftermarket as it was making the wobble worse

gu radelaide
1st January 2012, 04:24 PM
been running a monroe one on my GQ for 3 years no probs at all with it

Robo
2nd January 2012, 08:28 AM
I'm glad you've had a good run with the monroe.

so how does it preform?.
as firm as a standard 1, or you need double the effort to turn the wheel?.
does it rtc ok or do you have to assist it?.

Robo
2nd January 2012, 08:37 AM
I got a dobinson dampner not return to centre, much bigger diameter than the stock one that was on. Sorry cant compare as the stocky was u/s but it seems fine in the rough stuff ie loveday. i know benny Boy posted somewhere that he removed his aftermarket as it was making the wobble worse

so does it require an effort to turn the whee nowl as if the powersteer is now turned down a bit ?, or alot ?.
and does it now need your assistance to rtc, similar to turning the corner in the first place .

growler2058
2nd January 2012, 08:43 AM
so does it require an effort to turn the whee nowl as if the powersteer is now turned down a bit ?, or alot ?.
and does it now need your assistance to rtc, similar to turning the corner in the first place .

No noticeable difference to sterring effort, it doesnt return to centre really quickly but neither did it before, i find it totally acceptable for on road manners

Robo
2nd January 2012, 08:45 AM
You writing au roads leave a bit 2 be desired.

I think some 4x4 tracks are smother than some of our roads here.

I got a new damper about a year ago, just got the cheapest one from ARB, think its old man emu. Did not see the point in paying the extra dollars on a RTC damper.

It does the job :)

Happy New Year 2 you also

So How does it preform now?.
do you now have to make an effort just to turn the wheel .
Or does it feel like your power steering is still doing work for you ?.
And does it still rtc ok or does it need you to assist it now to rtc ?.