PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil life expectancy

AB
30th December 2011, 11:13 PM
Does anyone know how long engine oil lasts for when stored in a drum.

Let's say I wanted to buy 200 litres of dello 400, how long can you store it for?

The only thing I know is that heat would reduce the quality of the oil as such but if stored in a cool area how long do you get?

Silver
30th December 2011, 11:22 PM
This sounds so weird as to be almost unbelievable, however, here goes............... I was told that part of the reason that oil needs to be changed at 6 months, regardless of ks, was that microbes live in it, and in the process of doing so, make it more acidic. This attacks bearings etc. Now, how bugs live in, and eat, oil that is engine hot is beyond me, but then we know bugs live on those deep ocean vents etc, so I guess it is possible. Maybe. I reckon more likely the combustion by products build up and attack components.

Whether they are present in new oil I couldn't say. The other thing to think about is whether the various components settle out over time. I always give my 2 stroke oil bottles a shake before using them.

That said, I have never noticed a best before date on oil - maybe that only applies to food?

Here is what Mobil have to say about shelf life of their oil

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shelf%20life%20of%20engine%20oil&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CHkQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mobiloil.com%2FUSA-English%2FMotorOil%2FCar_Care%2FAskMobil%2FShelf_L ife_Collection.aspx&ei=OKb9Tuf_C4GViQfoza32DQ&usg=AFQjCNFxn5gikrLtCC2oC9k0VwmbDbbpjw

AB
30th December 2011, 11:31 PM
That does sound weird mate...lol

I was always under the impression that the heat from the engine over time causes the minerals in the oil to breakdown, etc.

AB
30th December 2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks mate, so mobil are saying "up to 5 years"

Silver
30th December 2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks mate, so mobil are saying "up to 5 years"

Try this from Delo - doesn't help :-)

http://www.deloperformance.com/expert-knowledge/best_practices.aspx

Yeah, I don't believe the microbe bit either. I think. but I still change at 6 months :-). I guess the thing to take into account is that Mobil were giving advice where the oil is stored in the US where the temps can get pretty cold.

200 litres is about 12 oil changes for a TD42? On the 6 month interval that is 6 years, less if you do enough Ks.

Maxhead
31st December 2011, 07:51 AM
Did you know that canola oil can be stored up to 12 months.......oh whoops wrong type of oil...LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Anyway this looks like a good read: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Sir Roofy
31st December 2011, 08:30 AM
AB A DRUM OF 200L IS AN OVER KILL IN YOUR CASE FOR WHAT YOU NEED

20L WOULD BE MORE ACCEPTABLE AND BE IN THE TIME LINE OF USEAGE

WHEN YOU THINK OF IT WHY ISNT THERE MICRO BUGS IN OIL WETHER MAN MADE OR
RAW OIL OUT OF THE WELLS,ANY WAY IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY FIVE OR TEN THOUSAND Ks
LIFE SHOULD BE GOOD

growler2058
31st December 2011, 08:38 AM
Microbes/bacteria whatever ya wanna call em are also found in diesel fuel so i find it plausible (mythbusters comment hahaha) to get the lil buggers in oil

DX grunt
31st December 2011, 08:53 AM
AB A DRUM OF 200L IS AN OVER KILL IN YOUR CASE FOR WHAT YOU NEED

20L WOULD BE MORE ACCEPTABLE AND BE IN THE TIME LINE OF USEAGE

WHEN YOU THINK OF IT WHY ISNT THERE MICRO BUGS IN OIL WETHER MAN MADE OR
RAW OIL OUT OF THE WELLS,ANY WAY IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY FIVE OR TEN THOUSAND Ks
LIFE SHOULD BE GOOD

Stop yelling. I can hear you quite well from WA.

LOLOLOL. Just kidding, Roofy. haha

Sir Roofy
31st December 2011, 11:03 AM
stop yelling. I can hear you quite well from wa.

Lololol. Just kidding, roofy. Haha

sorry grunt but the words are to small the other way

the evil twin
31st December 2011, 12:59 PM
Ironic isn't it...

Couple of million years for Mum nature to make... another couple of million hiding underground... we get it out and refine it and it goes "off" in a couple of years unless we use it to stuff the ecology

Them microbes is tough buggers eh, they even live in superheated water and volcanic vents so drums of oil and fuel would be a Holiday Resort.

I remember from my RAAF days we were constantly testing/inspecting fuel tanks for "critters" as they thrive in the Aviation Kerosene as well.