PDA

View Full Version : FPV Typhoon Intercooler on ZD30

guterra
29th December 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey fellas,

Been a while since I've been on here, but I thought I'd post up a little project that I'm really thinking of doing over the weekend.

I have a Ford FPV Typhoon Intercooler sitting around and was thinking of top mounting where the factory cooler is, but have a fan on one side of it and the other just as normal with the air scoop.

Pics below on what I mean.

Its the same size thickness as the oem cooler, but longer. I will have to make up brackets and move the fuel filter lower and possibly push the battery forward just a fraction. The pipework looks the easy part.

Has anyone done anything similar? Really keen on hearing from those that have. Or am I just wasting time with it...

YNOT
30th December 2011, 07:43 AM
That intercooler is off an XR6 turbo, not a Typhoon. I know it has an FPV tag on it but the Typhoon intercooler is about 50% taller and silver.

Bigrig has the same intercooler on his GQ but mounted as a front mount, I don't know of anyone who has tried to use one as a top mount on a Patrol. I think your biggest issue will be getting enough air to it for it to be a benefit. You will need a wider and preferably taller scoop on the bonnet, especially if you have a bullbar or bonnet protector fitted as these affect airflow over the bonnet reducing airflow into the standard height scoop.

Tony

Bigrig
30th December 2011, 08:32 AM
That intercooler is off an XR6 turbo, not a Typhoon. I know it has an FPV tag on it but the Typhoon intercooler is about 50% taller and silver.

Bigrig has the same intercooler on his GQ but mounted as a front mount, I don't know of anyone who has tried to use one as a top mount on a Patrol. I think your biggest issue will be getting enough air to it for it to be a benefit. You will need a wider and preferably taller scoop on the bonnet, especially if you have a bullbar or bonnet protector fitted as these affect airflow over the bonnet reducing airflow into the standard height scoop.

Tony

Correct - mine is the same with an FPV badge and serial number, but came out of an XR6 ... front mounted as Tony suggested.

Nice to see you back To y also!!!!

YNOT
30th December 2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Scott, just drifting in and out as time allows.

Tony

guterra
30th December 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, yeah im aware of the airflow issue. Was looking at having half the cooler getting airflow from standard scoop and the other half with a fan mounted underneath it. Am I going to gain anything by doing this, or is it a waste of time? Reason I ask, is the oem one seems to have more fins, whereas this has less fins but longer channels.

YNOT
30th December 2011, 09:55 AM
The XR6 intercooler is a good quality part made by Garrett, in my opinion better quality than the standard ZD30 intercooler. That said for the effort required to fit it I don't think you will get a noticible gain in power, EGT's may be slightly lower but again nothing dramatic.

Tony

guterra
30th December 2011, 10:12 AM
Ok. Not really chasing power, just trying to lower them egts. Need to tow a 16x8 fully enclosed trailer interstate, so a little worried about any hill climbs. I have the pipe work and random pieces sitting around, so I thought I might give it ago.

Will see if I can make space near fuel filter on weekend and slap it together. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to comment. Open to all ideas

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
30th December 2011, 11:30 AM
using the standard air scoop with a fan to one side is a bit of a waste I think.The fan wont be able to suck in any decent amount of cold air. it will mostly be engine bay air. I think you should have a think about front mounting it. you have to make brackets and stuff up anyway, or cut a bigger hole in the bonnet.

Cheers
Benny

guterra
30th December 2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah that's the part I'm worried about. Doing all the modifications and altering the standard piping to suit, only to find nothing has been achieved. - or worse off, and then not being able to put back to standard because I modified the piping...

Might have to stick it on eBay and save up for a cross country...

Not to keen on cutting up bonnet. Haven't found any scoops I like. Although I did see a patrol the other day on the sunny coast with what looked to be a cruiser scoop on it. Interesting... May have another idea

Edit: front mounting isn't really an option. 1 hell of a job and to much piping...

Ben-e-boy
30th December 2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah that's the part I'm worried about. Doing all the modifications and altering the standard piping to suit, only to find nothing has been achieved. - or worse off, and then not being able to put back to standard because I modified the piping...

Might have to stick it on eBay and save up for a cross country...

Not to keen on cutting up bonnet. Haven't found any scoops I like. Although I did see a patrol the other day on the sunny coast with what looked to be a cruiser scoop on it. Interesting... May have another idea

Edit: front mounting isn't really an option. 1 hell of a job and to much piping...

I know what you mean I posted a similar thread on top v front mout. I didnt want to cut a hole in the bonnet and i didnt want a front mount. so I saved the extra $$$ and will be getting a pwr water to air intercooler in the coming weeks.