PDA

View Full Version : 2.8TD Timing marks

Ian2011
29th December 2011, 11:59 AM
G'day all,

Can anyone tell me if the two marks on the crankshaft pulley are used to check timing on the 2.8, mine has these marks set about 30 mm apart on the pulley. I am trying to make sure that the crank is in the correct position for timing but the manual says that the crank pulley needs to be removed to carry out timing and makes no mention of the alignment marks on the pulley. My problem is that the car has a tendancy to stall at low rpm so I'm not sure if it is correctly timed. If someone who has a correctly timed engine can tell me what position their marks are at on the pulley when at BDC that would save me the drama of pulling off pulleys and belts etc.

Thanks in advance

Ian

the ferret
29th December 2011, 02:50 PM
Is this any help mate?.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/2_8Timing.jpg

Ian2011
29th December 2011, 04:10 PM
The pics are great Ferret, cheers, I was looking for quick check method and I thought the marks that are on my pulley may be able to aid me in this. As I have only recently recovered from the crank pulley slipping, I'm not real keen on pulling it apart again now that its going good apart from wanting to stall especially if the aircon is on, seems that I have to increase the revs a fair bit to get going, or is this normal for the 2.8.

the ferret
29th December 2011, 04:30 PM
Keyway on harmonic balance @ 6 oclock, timing mark on belt drive @ 3 oclock. then check timing marks on cam and injector pump drive.
You will need to count the belt teeth between pulleys as the white belt markings will no longer be in the right spot as they move around.
I feel your problem is revs.
Engine RPM aircon off =800.
the engine rpm should increase automatically when air con is switched on.
If you don't have 800 rpm with aircon off, you need to idle it up.
Cheers, the ferret