PDA

View Full Version : Using coolant

paps01
29th December 2011, 08:44 AM
Well I've picked up my GU td42ti. 06, 165,000 k's. Great nick. Very happy. Gazing under the bonnet last night with it ticking over thinking how great it was to finally have. Looked over and saw that the remote reservoir was half full and the recovery bottle almost empty. Don't tell me it's the TB42 all over again. Can someone tell me what the purpose of the remote pressurised reservoir is? Is using coolant an indication of a problem seeing as I only drove it home from the car yard? Is the deisel known for head cracking /cooling problems? Cheers Paps.

paps01
10th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Doesn't anyone have a comment on this issue?

Bigrig
10th January 2012, 05:12 PM
I'd say it was just missed whilst people were away over Xmas mate.

Diesel people!! Ohhhh, diesel people!!!

Hang tight, someone will have some ideas no doubt!!!

boots
10th January 2012, 10:36 PM
Most modern remote reservoirs are seethrew plastic , so you can see whats going on. The factory radiators are quite thin plastic end tanks which are glued / clamped on to the core . have a close up look of the remote resrvoir , much stronger plastic used. also for more coolant storage. J M O .

Sir Roofy
11th January 2012, 01:11 PM
Well I've picked up my GU td42ti. 06, 165,000 k's. Great nick. Very happy. Gazing under the bonnet last night with it ticking over thinking how great it was to finally have. Looked over and saw that the remote reservoir was half full and the recovery bottle almost empty. Don't tell me it's the TB42 all over again. Can someone tell me what the purpose of the remote pressurised reservoir is? Is using coolant an indication of a problem seeing as I only drove it home from the car yard? Is the deisel known for head cracking /cooling problems? Cheers Paps.

MMMMMM WELL DIDNT YOU CHECK UNDER THE BONNET BEFORE YOU LEFT THE YARD
YOULL FIND THAT THE RADIATOR SHOULD BE CHOCKERS AND THE RESERVE BOTTLES MAYBE LOW OR MIN/MAX LEVELS
WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM SHOULD HAVE DONE ALL THIS FOR YOU BEFORE YOU PICKED IT UP
BUT MAY HAVE BEEN OVER LOOKED ALL 4Bs USE COOLANT AND NEARLY EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD HAS IT
ITS TO STOP THE VEHICLE FROM FREEZING IN WINTER OR BOILING IN SUMMER

paps01
18th January 2012, 08:45 AM
Yes, had a mechanic check it and an RACV check which were both OK. Didn't do it all again when I picked it up and had done a couple og hundred K's. That's why it was a bit of a shock. But, have changed the radiator cap and it seems to be OK. Cheers.