PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Wheel Nut Studs

smith281
28th December 2011, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I've found that there are two broken wheel nut studs on one of my back wheel hubs, and one broken stud on one of my front wheel hubs.

I just bought the new studs which have splines and it looks like they have to be pressed into the hub.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult the old ones will be to knock out. I don't have many tools at the moment, and am just wondering if it's a job I'll be able to do in my driveway with basic tools or should I take it to a garage. Can the studs normally be knocked out with a hammer or is a press needed?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

macca86
28th December 2011, 07:54 PM
hey mate I haven't done it on my patrol but on my old commodre I did. get a nice size hammer and knock broken studs in if sheared close to brake disc take off disc and belt it then or use a pin punch. the new studs the splines will fit into the mount as it has matching groves put it in then wind on the nut and it will pull the stud into place and mate up nicely. easy job mate you'll be right

smith281
28th December 2011, 08:19 PM
Hi mate, cheers I'll give that a go.

TimE
28th December 2011, 08:45 PM
Check these short videos out

http://youtu.be/Z0avY0p0PU4

http://youtu.be/gy9t1mU0lG0

patch697
28th December 2011, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I've found that there are two broken wheel nut studs on one of my back wheel hubs, and one broken stud on one of my front wheel hubs.

I just bought the new studs which have splines and it looks like they have to be pressed into the hub.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult the old ones will be to knock out. I don't have many tools at the moment, and am just wondering if it's a job I'll be able to do in my driveway with basic tools or should I take it to a garage. Can the studs normally be knocked out with a hammer or is a press needed?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

If your got broken studs Tom there may be a good reason why & I'd be looking for that reason myself.

What rims are you running for starters?

macca86
28th December 2011, 09:25 PM
If your got broken studs Tom there may be a good reason why & I'd be looking for that reason myself.

What rims are you running for starters?

I found over tightening studs were the problem with me and also a tyre place rattle gunned then but were still loose and my wheel almost came off and tore 2 studs

pearcey
28th December 2011, 09:30 PM
You will have to remove the front hub assembly as you have to remove the disc to remove the stud
The rear you might be able to knock the old stud out with a punch and if you can wiggle the new stud in you can pull it up tight with a wheel nut.The wheel nut should be fitted on back to front and a few greased washers placed in between the hub and nut.
I only recomend this methord when in the bush. as it is much better to either punch or press the stud in from the back.

smith281
28th December 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks very much for all the advice guys. I don't have a big photo of the rims, but you can see them in the attached photo. I think they might be the rims from an older model.

No idea how they became damaged in the first place, as this is the way they were when I bought the car.

I'll make a start on the back hub and see how I go.

Cheers.

MosesGQ
18th March 2015, 12:15 AM
Old thread dig. Anyone here know how to remove the front assembly hub of the disc on a gq?

Cheers
John

mudski
20th March 2015, 08:06 PM
Old thread dig. Anyone here know how to remove the front assembly hub of the disc on a gq?

Cheers
John

This should help you out....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28969-DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread

MosesGQ
21st March 2015, 02:54 PM
Cheers, prefect for what I need.