PDA

View Full Version : oil

aaron 78
28th December 2011, 05:11 PM
Has anyone tried Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 on a zd30

Chaz
29th December 2011, 10:10 PM
Has anyone tried Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 on a zd30

Yes, I have used it for a while. It's a good choice if you still have EGR. I also used Mobil1 for some time, but have now changed over to Penrite SIN 0W-50.

matto9018
3rd January 2012, 06:45 PM
Yes, I have used it for a while. It's a good choice if you still have EGR. I also used Mobil1 for some time, but have now changed over to Penrite SIN 0W-50.

Chaz, I got onto penrite website, looked for SIN oils, it only came up PREMIUM 0 SAE 0W-50? Is that right now as they changed into racing looking bottle lol, if so, how is penrite treating you?

Cheers

Chaz
3rd January 2012, 11:42 PM
Chaz, I got onto penrite website, looked for SIN oils, it only came up PREMIUM 0 SAE 0W-50? Is that right now as they changed into racing looking bottle lol, if so, how is penrite treating you?

Cheers
Hi matto9018,

It’s very hard to get accurate specs on the oil that Nissan recommend for the ZD30 apart from the JASO DH1, ACEA B3 and the warning not to use API CG-4 rated oil. They do recommend 10W40 oil for Australian conditions, but that is a very loose recommendation because different manufacturers produce oils at different viscosities for that weight or viscosity level. Castrol Magnatec comes in very close to the Nissan recommendation and based on its viscosity specs at 10W40, it has a cSt at 40ºC of 102 and at 100ºC it’s cSt is 14.5. That makes it quite a good oil for a semi synthetic.

When you go to fully synthetic oils, viscosity levels change a bit for the advertised weights. For instance Mobil1 in 5W50 comes in at 108 cSt for 40ºC and a cSt of 17.5 at 100ºC. This basically says that Mobil1 at 5W50 is a thicker oil that the Magnatec 10W40 at operating temperature. The Penrite 0W50 comes in at 108 cSt for 40ºC and a cSt of 18.7 at 100ºC, so it is in fact even thicker that the Mobil at operating temperature and the same at ambient.

By now you might get the idea that I prefer thinner oils, which is true for cold start temps. I prefer an oil with a cold start cSt of around 100 – 110 and running temp cSt of closer to 20. This is my idea of a top quality oil, one that starts out quite thin, but doesn’t get too thin when hot. I’ve found nothing in the mineral or semi synthetic that comes close.

As a comparison one of the more popular oils used in the ZD30 is Delo 400, which is a semi at 15W40. It’s cSt at 40ºC is 125 and 15.1 at 100ºC, so it’s a bit thicker when cold and thins down a bit more when hot, but overall a good choice, particularly if on a budget.

I’ve only recently changed over from Mobil1 to Penrite SIN and haven’t noticed much difference when driving. The engine is still just as quiet and smooth as it was, but I’m hoping that the Penrite will be better for the engine in the long term. Check out THIS (http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Oil%20Tests.pdf) oil test and you’ll see why I chose the Penrite.

All the best,
Chaz

cossack
26th January 2012, 11:19 PM
thanks for the info. Where in Adelaide do you purchase your penrite oil from? Any good prices? or just keep my eye on specials etc.
Also, what intervals do you change your oil?

Chaz
26th January 2012, 11:39 PM
thanks for the info. Where in Adelaide do you purchase your penrite oil from? Any good prices? or just keep my eye on specials etc.
Also, what intervals do you change your oil?

I order it through Autobarn at Mile End. It takes a few days to get it in, but they are agents for Penrite and can get the good stuff. I think I paid around $75 or $80 for each 5 litre container and I change it every 10,000km with new filter.

teleman
27th January 2012, 11:10 PM
My Mechanic uses BP oils on mine. He recomends them on a ZD30. I asked why an he said, wait till you drive it. And yeah, has never run smoother and engine temp is noticeably lower. I dont have external gauges but the temp needle on the dash is down noticeably.