PDA

View Full Version : Red colored diesel.

bastardo
25th December 2011, 02:34 PM
Is that diesel that is red ( think its with sulphur ) ok to use with the zd30. Got 450 litres at work in clean drums. Is this ok to use. It was taken out of a rig that was delivered from the states. its about 6 weeks old but sealed and not contaminated. Any idea what this is ??
Thanks

Clunk
25th December 2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure about over here but in the UK, diesel that was earmarked for industrial use or farming was dyed red as they didn't pay duty on it, so it was dirt cheap to by................... a few people used in their diesel cars not a problem - until they were caught by the Customs & Excise, then were slapped with a really hefty fine.................... not sure if it's the same case here.

macca86
25th December 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure about over here but in the UK, diesel that was earmarked for industrial use or farming was dyed red as they didn't pay duty on it, so it was dirt cheap to by................... a few people used in their diesel cars not a problem - until they were caught by the Customs & Excise, then were slapped with a really hefty fine.................... not sure if it's the same case here.

that is true about the red dye. our family use to filter it through cat litter and it soaks up the red dye. it was perfectly safe for the diesel cars and farm equipment. should be fine I'd use a bit to test it and if it runs no good then stop use

Sir Roofy
26th December 2011, 09:55 AM
is that diesel that is red ( think its with sulphur ) ok to use with the zd30. Got 450 litres at work in clean drums. Is this ok to use. It was taken out of a rig that was delivered from the states. Its about 6 weeks old but sealed and not contaminated. Any idea what this is ??
Thanks

id think twice about the dye get it filterd out then maybe try it
the dye might clog your filter

bastardo
4th January 2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys..

Smile
5th January 2012, 04:03 AM

Exactly the same as in Germany...

mattandjody
8th January 2012, 11:28 PM
i wouldn't use it. if you're not 100% sure don't do it. diesels are too costly to be experimenting with...

Robo
9th January 2012, 06:31 AM
Not to mention it could be a different grade, different additives, cooking oil maybe in it also.
What's your engine cost to rebuild, compared to $700 worth of suspect fuel.

bastardo
9th January 2012, 09:06 PM
In the end I decided not to use it, was able to pass it on for a buck a liter. Too risky.

Thanks for the replies.

sibbles
10th January 2012, 09:47 AM
I think you would have been save, as clunc71 and Smile said, they use red dye in diesel here in Europe to indicate no road tax or other taxes on it. Illegal to use on the roads.

hutchy84
10th January 2012, 10:34 AM
They use dye up north on the mine sites when there suspect fuel is being stolen it leaves a residue on the exaust and they can pick it up with a special light

nallington
13th January 2012, 11:50 PM
mate it sounds like the same fuel used in UK where by all construction machinary fuel was dyed red and was not liable to any fuel tax but if caught using it in your car you lost your car, the the diesel was no different from normal diesel apart from colour
Neil

DX grunt
14th January 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure what colours are used in WA, but some agricultural companies sell dye and keep a register of farmers
who purchase the dye to put in their diesel to help identify it, should it be 'borrowed without asking' (aka - stolen).

Rossco