PDA

View Full Version : New Patrol Advice

smith281
24th December 2011, 10:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this website as I just bought my fist Patrol, a year 2000 4.5L. Photo attached.

The previous owner appears to have looked after it, but I don't have very much information about what work has been done on it recently.

I'm wondering can anyone offer any advice for items I should initially check/service. I've changed the engine oil and filter, but that's about it.

It seems to drive quite well. Not particulary powerfull, but then again I'm not expecting too much as it's an 11 year old car.

There is a very slight vibration, steering wheel and car generally, between 80km/hr and 100km/hr. I'm hoping it's just the balancing which is off slightly?

I'd also like to get my hands on a copy of the workshop manual. Are these available to download anywhere for free?

Thanks, and Merry Xmas!
Tom :)

YNOT
24th December 2011, 10:52 PM
There are manuals available for download on here but you need 25 posts up to get access to them.

Do a search for preventative maintanence, I think that thread will answer a lot of your questions.

Tony

smith281
24th December 2011, 10:56 PM
Cheers Tony, will do.

Tom

Oversize
27th December 2011, 08:44 AM
My son has the same model and the steering vibration in his happens between 95 and 100 kays. I drove it to Cape York in August and found you couldn't notice it on the corrigations (HAHAHAHA). I shall read and learn what others have to offer. Cheers with the new beast and welcome aboard. I am new too, but lovin' the feedback.

Guido
27th December 2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Tom - is the photo of your vehicle - if so it looks in excellent condition. What part of the world are you from?

smith281
28th December 2011, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Machlou - OK thanks, yes let me know if you get any feedback. I've tried re-balancing the wheels, but I've found that the lead weights the garages use here don't stay on. Last time I tried, I heard all the weights fly off at the first roundabout. I'm not sure if it's aproblem with the type of balancing weights, or if it's a problem with the profile of the rims themselves. I'm going to give it another go with sticker type weights instead and see how I get on. Yeah it's hard to notice it off road!

Guido - Yes that's a photo of my car. Cheers. I'm a pom, but living out in Qatar in the mid east. Cars age quite well here with the climate and I think this one's been looked after.

Cheers!
Tom