PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner compressor bearing

lenkeit1234
22nd December 2011, 03:00 PM
I have heard that the air conditioner compressor bearing is easy to replace?
Is it possible, is it easy, would it be cheaper?

Airstrike
22nd December 2011, 04:04 PM
I was told the the bearing wasnt worth the hassle to fix and to get a new compressor (cheap as it was a GQ). THEN another mechanic told me they are not that hard. so I guess it comes down to how confident you are at doing the job.

lenkeit1234
22nd December 2011, 04:44 PM
I suppose that if it has had the Richard it wouldn't matter if i screwed it up

Airstrike
22nd December 2011, 04:49 PM
How sure are you that its the bearing?

lenkeit1234
22nd December 2011, 04:59 PM
At this stage not too sure but when the compressor engages it makes the noise of a buggered bearing.

Airstrike
22nd December 2011, 05:26 PM
Well then I dont know lol. You could run the chance and change the bearing or you can do the compressor. Peronally I would get a Auto sprky to look at it. The guys at east side Aoto elec know patrols very well. They are next to the shell. They might be able to identify and quote for free.

philfree
22nd December 2011, 08:08 PM
its worth noteing here that some times where the main bearing in the compressor goes as it gets hot it damages the seal in the front of the compressor makeing it leak so if it has you will need a new compressor no matter how goot the bearing is, also worth noteing is that when its turned on and their is a funny bearing sound it can often be the compressor its self as they age the loose bits of metal this goes through the system and comes back and damages the compressor further when this happnes the whole system needs flushing sometimes even replacement of tx valve and condensor depending on what styles they all are

robbo0001
22nd December 2011, 11:22 PM
Agree with Phil....if the bearing is noisy when aircon clutch is engaged, and its been noisy for a while....try a complete reconditioned compressor. That means a complete recovery, vacuum, re-gas, filter/drier and general inspection.
Really need to get some aircon guages on it, see if it holds gas.
If it holds gas, how much and what pressures are happening, when the clutch is engaged.

lenkeit1234
23rd December 2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys better get it in

Silver
23rd December 2011, 12:02 AM
and if not done already, make sure the belt is not slipping................... I know, obvious, but I have missed the obvious before, grrrrrr :-)

lenkeit1234
23rd December 2011, 02:31 PM
have just changed all the belts given it an oil change and a lube (on th two grease nipples it has) flushed the radiator got the brakes the diff and trans to go