PDA

View Full Version : New Magazine on the shelves

macca
17th December 2011, 08:42 AM
Had to wait for couriers yesterday, went to newsagent and found a new 4x4 publication called "Pat Callinan's 4X4 Adventures" magazine, I think, my Dad's got hold of it and I can not get his grip to let go!!!
It seems very high quality. The photos are very good and well presented as is the page layout.
A few interesting things he said about it.
1) 30% adds not like competitors 50% and more
2) Not a hot rod magazine, he said he has been there refering to Otis I'd say, this is more for tourers and setting up vehicles to do that safely.
3) Testing of products will not be sponsor driven or paid premotions passed off as tests.
4) 5 percent of total advertising income (not just profit) will go to Juvenile Diabetes research.

It cost $11.95 which is getting pricy, if a couple of extra dollars loses some of the adds I'm converted.
Its got better full page maps of tracks so you know where they are talking about, not in detail but clearer location.
I like it and will cancel the present subcription replacing it with this mag.
Hope you enjoy it as well
Macca

growler2058
17th December 2011, 08:55 AM
Im with ya macca i just got an email from them and rekon i'll give em a crack also

rottodiver
17th December 2011, 09:58 AM
See... This is why being stuck on a mine site sucks... If at home I would be in the car in my way down to the newsagent to buy it.. Looking forward to this one!!!

Sent from my T8697 using Board Express

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 01:14 PM
Since I found this site I found I don't need 2 read a mag

1) 1 add that I know of, unless off course I click on the vendor thread, which 1 may class as an add

2) No hot rods on here, All GQ's and oh yeh those other pretend Nissans......think there called GU crap thingo mo bobs

3) Testing of all products relate 2 what I'm interested in......GQ's

4) All advertising income will go towards Andy's Rig, missus, kids, drinking.............and the forum of course.

5) But wait there's more..................who wants 2 read about other four wheel drives anyway??? No other crap 4b's on here I have 2 read about :) ......well except those couple of Yota drivers that got on here somehow......... *L*

It cost 15 bucks a year.......cheap as............ and the best money I have every spent :)

growler2058
17th December 2011, 01:33 PM

1) 1 add that I know of, unless off course I click on the vendor thread, which 1 may class as an add

2) No hot rods on here, All GQ's and oh yeh those other pretend Nissans......think there called GU crap thingo mo bobs

4) All advertising income will go towards Andy's Rig, missus, kids, drinking.............and the forum of course.

5) But wait there's more..................who wants 2 read about other four wheel drives anyway??? No other crap 4b's on here I have 2 read about :) ......well except those couple of Yota drivers that got on here somehow......... *L*

It cost 15 bucks a year.......cheap as............ and the best money I have every spent :)

X2 What he said :-)

Sir Roofy
18th December 2011, 07:42 AM
x2 what he said :-)

have to agree with todd on that one

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 08:00 AM

Add to that the ability to "question" the writer! I the mag has a DIY in it, there endeth your input from said writer - the words on the pages are all you have to go by ...

Someone on here does one, posts it, and you're still not sure - simply post up a question and get a response ... usually from more people than just the writer - that way getting even more ideas/input to assist ...

That alone for mine is worth more than any annual mag subscription ...

macca
18th December 2011, 08:37 AM
Had a bit of a read of the mag last night. So pleased with it I have subscribed.
I agree with what you all have said but still like differing sources and opinions especially for trips.
Search places like this, the greater www, read any book I can get my hands on and get a lot of pleasure reading magazines.
This one seems best magazine of the bunch to me.
I have been buying magazine's for ever, dive magazine's covered my bedroom floor in 1976 much to Mum's frustration, since then for what activity I was doing at the time well before the web, so the habit is a life style thing for me and somehow I dont reckon I will change.
Today there is so much information readily available it is amazing.
If you enjoy a mag you might like this one.
Doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do.....
Macca

Yendor
18th December 2011, 05:17 PM
The best bit is Pat seems to love the Patrol.

Or is that he is heavily sponsored by Nissan?????

growler2058
18th December 2011, 05:29 PM
I went an got issue 1 today to have a look..........and gotta love the nissan references :-) And some of the piccies are bloody great

Maxhead
18th December 2011, 05:33 PM
Had to wait for couriers yesterday, went to newsagent and found a new 4x4 publication called "Pat Callinan's 4X4 Adventures" magazine, I think, my Dad's got hold of it and I can not get his grip to let go!!!
It seems very high quality. The photos are very good and well presented as is the page layout.
A few interesting things he said about it.
1) 30% adds not like competitors 50% and more
2) Not a hot rod magazine, he said he has been there refering to Otis I'd say, this is more for tourers and setting up vehicles to do that safely.
3) Testing of products will not be sponsor driven or paid premotions passed off as tests.
4) 5 percent of total advertising income (not just profit) will go to Juvenile Diabetes research.

It cost $11.95 which is getting pricy, if a couple of extra dollars loses some of the adds I'm converted.
Its got better full page maps of tracks so you know where they are talking about, not in detail but clearer location.
I like it and will cancel the present subcription replacing it with this mag.
Hope you enjoy it as well
Macca

Sounds good. Might check it out tomorrow.
I love the forum or the net for info but I always get a couple of mags for when we get away camping except most of them are full of crap these days....