PDA

View Full Version : water where's everyone else got it

sr06
16th December 2011, 09:00 PM
hay been thinking about water storage just wondering how everyone else is set up please

MudRunnerTD
16th December 2011, 09:06 PM
Recently I have been refilling the bladder out of a 10 lt water cask from the supermarket. It's out of the box and lays on the floor well in the back perfectly . Works a treat! $$$$$$free$$$$$$

rottodiver
16th December 2011, 09:16 PM
i have a 100 litre flexi tank, which i lay across the floor behind the front seats...... then when i need water i just open the passenger door..... the tank also has tie downs for roof racks etc, but i like having it down low as it is approx 100 kg full

Scotty

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 09:24 PM
I store my water in the radiator and windscreen washer bottle, only downside the windscreen washer bottle has a leak in it :(

big_fletch
16th December 2011, 09:41 PM
I store my water in the radiator and windscreen washer bottle, only downside the windscreen washer bottle has a leak in it :(

Hahaha Classic lol

sr06
16th December 2011, 11:11 PM

haha don't think it would taste to good :0

sr06
16th December 2011, 11:15 PM
i have a 100 litre flexi tank, which i lay across the floor behind the front seats...... then when i need water i just open the passenger door..... the tank also has tie downs for roof racks etc, but i like having it down low as it is approx 100 kg full

Scotty
how do those bladder bag things go haven't heard to much about them

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 11:35 PM
haha don't think it would taste to good :0

It doesn't taste so bad after a few bourbons....... Sorry couldn't help myself posting that one :)

rottodiver
16th December 2011, 11:54 PM
how do those bladder bag things go haven't heard to much about them

i have found in brilliant to be honest.... they are really well made, i bought 2 of those really cheap camp mats (cheap crappy foam mattress's that roll up) and pad lay that on the floor and up the sides so there is absolutely no risk of puncture but the are very duarable and mould to where ever they are and depepnding on how long you are away depends how much water to fill it!!! and no plastic taste either!!! highly recommend them, and they will last for ever if cared for!!

Scotty

AB
17th December 2011, 01:17 AM
hay been thinking about water storage just wondering how everyone else is set up please

Hey mate, what kind of trip and length do you plan for?

After 20 years of family trips I'm slowly learning that I over compensate for the basics and come home with 4 days of food and water, etc.

I'm no expert in necessities but when we all do the one week trips I always come with too much and carry way too much weight.

I would love to plan myself better on trips!

A good managed plan with realistic consumption is what we need. If anyone has a good method I would love to hear about it too.

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 09:43 AM
Have one of these between rear seats and drawers.

http://www.dolium.com.au/libraries/images/Poly_Tanks/wtp50t.jpg

Had to cut lower section out of Milford cargo barrier to fit it but very happy with it as it's totally invisible and out of the way. Has always done me well on outback trips but am also looking to buy a bladder for extra water security. Can never have too much water out there.url]

how much does it hold Plassy??? That is the best idea I've seen based on where it sits and the lack of ability to use that space practically for anything else!! Top idea!!!

sr06
17th December 2011, 09:47 AM
It doesn't taste so bad after a few bourbons....... Sorry couldn't help myself posting that one :)

your right mate i left myself open for that one haha

sr06
17th December 2011, 09:56 AM

After 20 years of family trips I'm slowly learning that I over compensate for the basics and come home with 4 days of food and water, etc.

I'm no expert in necessities but when we all do the one week trips I always come with too much and carry way too much weight.

A good managed plan with realistic consumption is what we need. If anyone has a good method I would love to hear about it too.

the hand brake takes a weeks worth of food just for a day trip lol i'm planing of setting up for a month trip up the cape. when i did the simo i only took 40L but that's only for 1 person and that was heaps so was hoping to take adout 60L

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 10:41 AM
50L mate. There's a ball valve and hose barb at the bottom of the tank. Put a small length of hose with a butterfly valve fitting at the end and bobs your uncle. Can access the water with the rear seats remaining in upright position. Simple and effective.

Yep, that's a bottler!! Thank you sir!!

wildgu6
17th December 2011, 10:15 PM

You idiot....just sprayed my scotch everywhere. Tears in the eyes Toddsta,

04OFF
17th December 2011, 10:56 PM
I carry a 20L container (clear plastic jerry type) strapped to the back of my cargo barrier, this is always extra to our bottled drinking water we have.

You should always have more water than you need, that way if you are caught in a situation you didn't expect, you are are not without this essential liquid, you may also use water for putting out a fire, filling a radiator (after blowing a hose) washing wounds, and the list goes on.

You have 3 weeks to live without food , but only 3 days without water, you need about 2 Litres "minimum" per person per day to stay healthy, (preferably more) and its the ONLY thing none of us can live without for any amount of time, and it has so many other uses, you can never have too much water................(or beer)

Sir Roofy
17th December 2011, 11:34 PM
we also carry extra water in 20l bottles as stated you just never know

rkinsey
18th December 2011, 12:24 AM

When I take the family for our weekly trips away camping, I sit down and using a spreadsheet, or you can use a calendar, plan your meals for each person and evey day. Just like a food diary. Include in the plan any "Dining out" you plan on doing. Sometimes it doesnt quite work out.

This goes for your water consupmtion. But find out if drinking water, or consumable water when treated, can be obtained when you get to your destination. You wont need to take that much then. Generally speaking you need 2l of drinking water per person per day. Depending on the conditions ofcourse. If you are in the desert in the middle of summer, double it.

We always come home with a little bit of left over food and water but you should always pack more than you need just in case.

Cheers,

Rob

hekarewe
18th December 2011, 01:35 AM
i store my water in 2 tanks under the camper trailer 2 x 45LT any extra goes up on the roof rack in jerries

Silver
18th December 2011, 07:06 AM
If you are travelling somewhere where the water you bring is the only water, it is worth considering several small containers rather than one large container.

This minimises the consequences of a leak or contamination of a container.

If travelling in a group, and all take a bit extra, this also helps manage this risk.

Sir Roofy
18th December 2011, 08:04 AM
if you are travelling somewhere where the water you bring is the only water, it is worth considering several small containers rather than one large container.

If travelling in a group, and all take a bit extra, this also helps manage this risk.

its like the old saying dont put all your eggs in the same basket

hekarewe
18th December 2011, 07:33 PM
If you are travelling somewhere where the water you bring is the only water, it is worth considering several small containers rather than one large container.

thats why i have 2 tanks and throw extra on the roof or in boot consider you water as important as your fuel you can live a week or so with out food but only a matter of days if that with out water

sr06
20th December 2011, 09:14 AM
yah i thought about just going the 20L jerry cans but not sure how i'll go fitting them in the back and not 100% keen on putting them up top haven't fully worked out where everything's going due to the roof racks not turning up yet and thanks to everyone for the input

teleman
28th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Im heading up to sydney tmw morning (bout 3am) Wont really need much in terms of this stuff. haha. I just cant wait to get out on the road with the troll and soak up the sites!!!! :)

Tenchy202
5th January 2012, 12:11 AM
ive got a 20L jerry can behind my fridge slide in the back with a hose connection and a valve in it

GRA.GU
5th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Actually I think that 20l jerries can be made to work very effectively. The simplicity of gravity feed with attached hose, and then, if using more than 1, being able to free-up space by putting empties on the roof rack is cheap and practical. Also, I've struck situations where those with fixed tanks have found it awkward to re-fill, whereas the jerries could be carried to the water source.

Tenchy202
6th January 2012, 12:33 AM
That's exactly how I run mine .. Nothing to break simple and effective

sr06
9th January 2012, 05:11 PM
that's true they are cheap and if they break easy to replace. How are they to put a coulpe up on your roof racks?

Clunk
9th January 2012, 05:15 PM
that's true they are cheap and if they break easy to replace. How are they to put a coulpe up on your roof racks?

your racks will take it no problem, just don't forget a litre of water is approx 1kg.............. so all depends on what you're like at lifting weights

cokeholic
9th January 2012, 06:35 PM
Im just starting a build and new to 4wding but my thought is 2x6 inch plastic pipes either side of a roof rack ends modified to take clipon hose one end the other a tap fill and empty at each end no idea how much they will hold just my 10 cents worth amd something im tossing around in my head

Clunk
9th January 2012, 06:56 PM
Im just starting a build and new to 4wding but my thought is 2x6 inch plastic pipes either side of a roof rack ends modified to take clipon hose one end the other a tap fill and empty at each end no idea how much they will hold just my 10 cents worth amd something im tossing around in my head

My father-in-law has done this exact thing on his navara, pipes are approx 2.5m long, sorry but my head hurts to much to do the Maths lol

growler2058
9th January 2012, 07:03 PM
pye Radius squared x length

cokeholic
9th January 2012, 07:18 PM
My father-in-law has done this exact thing on his navara, pipes are approx 2.5m long, sorry but my head hurts to much to do the Maths lol

Dats 44/45 ltrs give or take

Rip'n'Shred
10th January 2012, 10:51 AM

Had to cut lower section out of Milford cargo barrier to fit it but very happy with it as it's totally invisible and out of the way. Has always done me well on outback trips but am also looking to buy a bladder for extra water security. Can never have too much water out there.

Great idea. love it.

Wonder if it would still fit with off the shelf draws (I believe yours are custom made???), ie black widow, outback interiors, etc, and half height barriers.

Wait and see when I get mine I guess, can't wait.

sr06
10th January 2012, 03:51 PM
yah mate i'm just worryed about to much weight up top and the car tipping over but there's a fair few people running them up top so carn't be to bad

sr06
10th January 2012, 03:55 PM
yah i've seen a few with them that mite be a good idea for a cheap hard mounted tank how would you go mounting them?

Clunk
10th January 2012, 04:22 PM
yah i've seen a few with them that mite be a good idea for a cheap hard mounted tank how would you go mounting them?
couple of pipe clamps from bunnings should do the trick mate

tusman
10th January 2012, 04:40 PM
This is my tank mounted behind the drivers seat, but I have no back seat, its 60 litre and comes with a pipe fittings already tapped into it and it cost $59 from BCF but you can also get them on ebay.

dasemm
10th January 2012, 05:38 PM
I have an older black widow 55l tank on top of my drawers against the cargo barrier, fits really nice. I have it plumbed with a simple tap (no 12v pump) which works fine, have had it for 6+ years now.

darren

http://www.bwidow.com.au/water_tanks_flip/04.jpg

BEP120
6th May 2012, 10:50 AM

Had to cut lower section out of Milford cargo barrier to fit it but very happy with it as it's totally invisible and out of the way. Has always done me well on outback trips but am also looking to buy a bladder for extra water security. Can never have too much water out there.

A few weeks ago I sent a web enquiry to Razorback4x4 about this 95L bladder but dissapointingly have not heard back from them. Thought this looked like a good thing but makes me think twice about their products/service when i dont get a reply so i'm put off now.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/electrobugphotos/waterbladderacopy.jpg

Hi Plasnart,
I am looking at getting this exact same water tank for behind my seats.
One question I have is about the water sloshing noise when the tank is half empty as it is in the cabin. Is it minimal?
I can get one of these tanks for a good price but if there is a lot of noise I would rather make one myself and put it under the wagon and use behind the seats for spares.

Thanks,