PDA

View Full Version : OME Question?

gavinsell
13th December 2011, 06:39 PM
Hey guys!

i have a 92 patrol and it had OME suspension under it when i bought it. it sits higher at the back then the front.

my question is.... the back has blue springs in it and the front does not however both have nitro charger shocks... Does this mean the springs have been swapped out for new ones once in its life and how would i tell if the back has had a lift? im wondering as im looking to put a 2" lift in the trol.

Thanks guys

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 06:42 PM
Hey guys!

i have a 92 patrol and it had OME suspension under it when i bought it. it sits higher at the back then the front.

my question is.... the back has blue springs in it and the front does not however both have nitro charger shocks... Does this mean the springs have been swapped out for new ones once in its life and how would i tell if the back has had a lift? im wondering as im looking to put a 2" lift in the trol.

Thanks guys

Blue are dobinson springs I think? That might suggest (if the front is lower and black) that the backs have been swapped ... what's the ride height difference front to rear (measured from ground to chassis)?

gavinsell
13th December 2011, 06:50 PM
ride height( from chassis under the doors The level bit) back is 375mm and front is 335 so 40mm difference.. and yes the front is lower with black springs...

Thanks Bigrig

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you've got the same springs I had (in the rear only) but maybe in a 2" (I had 4"). You could try a set of 2" in the front (about $180 for the pair depending on where you get them) and see if that levels it out ..

Someone on here with a current 2" setup should be able to get you their measurements prior just to be sure .. if their rear is close to yours, then bobs your uncle! Might (possible) need a caster correction also, and possibly longer brake and breather lines also.

gavinsell
13th December 2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks heaps bigrig. really helpful.
so i would not need to upgrade my current shock on the front then? as they are already nitro charger shocks.

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 07:09 PM
Probably not if they are on the rear also - would be a bit bizarre to think they replaced shocks with same brand, but different lengths. Odds are against that, so should be right ...

gavinsell
13th December 2011, 07:22 PM
i had a look on the shocks for a code of some sort and found this on the back
' Old Man Emu
N 29
D 30 JL98 3
gas pressurised
do not heat or open

The only thing different on the front was that it said N 21

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 07:27 PM
The codes would be to do with the pin mounts on the front shocks, and eyelet mounts on the rears I would have thought ...

You might be able to check online on this (quick google of the vendor site maybe?) to confirm.

Clunk
13th December 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi gav, I've got OME 2" lift on mine, yellow shocks black springs. Mine measures 580mm from center of hub to bottom of guard on the front (normal duty fitted) and 600mm at the rear (heavy duty fitted) ........ Hope that helps mate

gavinsell
14th December 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Clunck71
my truck measures the same.... i must have a 2" lift... I dont like they way it sits higher at the back. could i get a longer spring?

Clunk
15th December 2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Clunck71
my truck measures the same.... i must have a 2" lift... I dont like they way it sits higher at the back. could i get a longer spring?

I think if your's measures the same as mine, you could possibly have heavy duty springs fitted on the rear........... do you have a steel or alloy bull bar and do you know if the previous owner did a fare bit of towing? I don't know if there are any identifying marks on the springs to say what rating they are, maybe there's a sticker on them with a parts code?

briano
16th December 2011, 10:03 AM
Hi Air bags for crd ,what is a good brand

briano
16th December 2011, 10:05 AM
i have seen adds for firestone,are the ok

briano
16th December 2011, 10:10 AM
an american site has them for $110 plus $60 for postage,i have been quoted $345 at tjm

gavinsell
19th December 2011, 06:28 PM
I think if your's measures the same as mine, you could possibly have heavy duty springs fitted on the rear........... do you have a steel or alloy bull bar and do you know if the previous owner did a fare bit of towing? I don't know if there are any identifying marks on the springs to say what rating they are, maybe there's a sticker on them with a parts code?

i have a steel bull bar and brush bars that run into the side steps. i know the previous owner did not tow not much at all but maybe the owner before that... what are my options when it comes to bringing the front up level? could i put a longer spring in it or would i have to put new shocks in the also??

Thanks

Clunk
19th December 2011, 06:43 PM
i have a steel bull bar and brush bars that run into the side steps. i know the previous owner did not tow not much at all but maybe the owner before that... what are my options when it comes to bringing the front up level? could i put a longer spring in it or would i have to put new shocks in the also??

Thanks
I'm not really sure to be honest mate, I'm far from an expert on such matters and am only learning myself....................... like I mentioned before, you may possibly have the same sort of set up as mine, standard duty up from and heavy duty at the rear.............. having a harder set up at the rear will make its back end stick up a bit higher, until you start loading up the boot that is, then will level up.
So you can either change the rear springs to a lighter duty or the fronts to a heavier duty. If it was me I'd leave it............. but that's just my opinion

growler2058
19th December 2011, 07:23 PM
To get the most from your suspension i would get springs and shocks that are matched/compliment each other ie a shock that will extend/compress to the flex available from the springs if that makes any sense

gavinsell
20th December 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm not really sure to be honest mate, I'm far from an expert on such matters and am only learning myself....................... like I mentioned before, you may possibly have the same sort of set up as mine, standard duty up from and heavy duty at the rear.............. having a harder set up at the rear will make its back end stick up a bit higher, until you start loading up the boot that is, then will level up.
So you can either change the rear springs to a lighter duty or the fronts to a heavier duty. If it was me I'd leave it............. but that's just my opinion
thanks clunk71 im definitely keeping the back shock as they are as im going to put drawers in it.. also do you have 33" tires on your truck or do you think they would fit?
Thanks

Clunk
20th December 2011, 05:55 PM
thanks clunk71 im definitely keeping the back shock as they are as im going to put drawers in it.. also do you have 33" tires on your truck or do you think they would fit?
Thanks

I don't have 33's yet, they're next on the list but know plenty of people running them with 2in lift no problem

gavinsell
20th December 2011, 07:47 PM
I don't have 33's yet, they're next on the list but know plenty of people running them with 2in lift no problem
33's are also my next on the list... thats great that they fit. happy mam. :)