PDA

View Full Version : 91 GQ front springs.

Andy D
12th December 2011, 01:04 PM
Greetings all,
While searching for the source of annoying sounds in the front end, I noticed the metal dust plate held by 2 small bolts on the top of the front spring mountings in the wheel well.
Had to have a look of course and soon found enough terra firma in there, to plant out a market garden.
What is the general consensus here, do I leave them off, or do I treat the rust which has naturally formed in there, and drill a hole to exit water then actually seal under the plate to water and mud proof the whole assembly. In all the years I have had the Q, I have never looked in here, rather in the if it's not broken , leave it alone way of thinking.

I 'll stake my life one of you has poked around in there, keen to hear your info.

Wishing all members, especially Andrew Batty, A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I count it as a privilege to be allowed to join you all.

Andy D. Andrew DALE.

jimmyjam
12th December 2011, 03:16 PM
Had to have a look of course and soon found enough terra firma in there, to plant out a market garden.
What is the general consensus here, do I leave them off, or do I treat the rust which has naturally formed in there, and drill a hole to exit water then actually seal under the plate to water and mud proof the whole assembly. In all the years I have had the Q, I have never looked in here, rather in the if it's not broken , leave it alone way of thinking.

Why not plant it out?
Fresh veggies wherever you go!

Andy D
13th December 2011, 09:21 AM
Well thanks jimmyjam,
Not quite the reply I was hoping for, I was being facetious, regarding the quantity of muck embedded up in the top of the spring mounting.
Fifteen minutes balanced at a 45degree tip over point in a boghole at the bottom of Big Red on a Powerlines trip at Glasshouse Mountains was the obvious occasion when it filled with mud. However the consequent rust remains and there is a nut in the middle of the top of the spring housing to secure the rubber bump stop and i fear it will shear off if I attempt to remove it.
The rusting damage looks quite severe and must be halted immediately. My hope was that someone had actually experienced the same problem. If so, I am keen to hear their thoughts.

Regards Andy D

growler2058
13th December 2011, 09:28 AM
Mate soak it in wd40 then have a crack. Worse case scenario it snaps and you have to replace the bumpstop

Andy D
13th December 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Growlers,

Pretty much what I thought, appreciate your feedback. Regards Andy D,

growler2058
13th December 2011, 02:28 PM
And a good hit with the wire brush

jimmyjam
13th December 2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry for my previous post, couldn't resist...
Use penertr8 or penertrene instead of WD, it works better!

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 06:30 PM
Sorry for my previous post, couldn't resist...
Use penertr8 or penertrene instead of WD, it works better!

Penetrene is top notch as is Yield