PDA

View Full Version : soil fill before concreting

Maxhead
11th December 2011, 11:57 AM
Guys, I'm looking at filling and levelling an area of my front yard so I can put my caravan on it. It will be bare at the moment but I will concrete it one day...LOL

I want it solid as and also with good drainage. I'm thinking crushed brick or blue metal

Any suggestions???

MudRunnerTD
11th December 2011, 12:13 PM
yep, do it in layers and use a whacker plate and water it in in layers mate. 100mm max layers and water it in with the whacker and it will go as hard as hell.

Blue metal crush rock would be fine mate.

Put an agi on the high side to relieve drainage as coursing water below your hard stand will be an enemy.

at least a couple of 100mm of crush rock or crushed brick or recycled concrete will be awesome and will mean you concrete will never break.

When you pour your slab put a thickening around the outside of at least an extra 100mm for stiffening and use an F82 mess and you will be King mate.

Dollars spent now will be worth their weight later.

Have fun.

growler2058
11th December 2011, 12:19 PM
yep, do it in layers and use a whacker plate and water it in in layers mate. 100mm max layers and water it in with the whacker and it will go as hard as hell.

Blue metal crush rock would be fine mate.

Put an agi on the high side to relieve drainage as coursing water below your hard stand will be an enemy.

at least a couple of 100mm of crush rock or crushed brick or recycled concrete will be awesome and will mean you concrete will never break.

When you pour your slab put a thickening around the outside of at least an extra 100mm for stiffening and use an F82 mess and you will be King mate.

Dollars spent now will be worth their weight later.

Have fun.

X2 what MR said :-)

growler2058
11th December 2011, 12:23 PM
Only thing I'd do different was to use quarry rubble it makes an excellent base also

Maxhead
11th December 2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks boys, I'll get started this week some time. Backing the caravan into the back yard is a pain in the arse with only a couple of inches either side in one spot. Already took the rain gutter off...LOL
I'll probably need a retaining wall on one side as it's probably going to be at least 500-600mm deep

Thanks for the advise MR

ozzyboy
11th December 2011, 12:41 PM
hey mate

if you are not going to concrete for a while, i suggest you use profilings ( from your local council, cheap as chips). Try and get 250mm of it down (125mm layers x 2).
With profilings, it can rain all it likes on it, with your caravan sitting on it, and it will not erode / scour.
Then when you go to concrete, you have a good solid platform, 50mm of crusher dust gives you a good bed.

ozz

Maxhead
11th December 2011, 12:48 PM
hey mate

if you are not going to concrete for a while, i suggest you use profilings ( from your local council, cheap as chips). Try and get 250mm of it down (125mm layers x 2).
With profilings, it can rain all it likes on it, with your caravan sitting on it, and it will not erode / scour.
Then when you go to concrete, you have a good solid platform, 50mm of crusher dust gives you a good bed.

ozz

Cheers mate, Can't seem to find what profilings are. Got a link to what it is or looks like?

growler2058
11th December 2011, 12:51 PM
Cheers mate, Can't seem to find what profilings are. Got a link to what it is or looks like?

It's bitumen mate. Before they put more hot mix down they scrape the old gear so the new stuff got something to grab on you can get the scrapings (profilings)

ozzyboy
11th December 2011, 12:53 PM
crushed asphalt mate. when the council ( or any local road builder down there) rips up the old asphalt on the road, it goes through a profiler. ( council do this every week )

I have built compounds /storeyards with this stuff. in the weather for years. put it down and forget about it.

ozzy

Maxhead
11th December 2011, 12:53 PM
It's bitumen mate. Before they put more hot mix down they scrape the old gear so the new stuff got something to grab on you can get the scrapings (profilings)

crushed asphalt mate. when the council ( or any local road builder down there) rips up the old asphalt on the road, it goes through a profiler. ( council do this every week )

I have built compounds /storeyards with this stuff. in the weather for years. put it down and forget about it.

ozzy

Got ya mate...cheers

chester
11th December 2011, 08:27 PM
If you use Blue metal crused rocked try and get 20mm class 3.
the more dust in it the better,as MR said wet it, compact it, wet it, compact it it will come up almost like concrete.
We sell that stuff to the shire for road base's or when they resheet a road and comes up really good.