PDA

View Full Version : Nissan diff lock

altech
6th December 2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Guys. been looking at 98 GU Ti model and does it come with Diff locks as standard , if so how reliable are there regards Alex

altech
16th December 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys, Any info on the Nissan Diff Lock that come with GU Ti model cheers Alex

Sir Roofy
16th December 2011, 08:31 PM
Nice place bittern vic thanks for that mate

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys. been looking at 98 GU Ti model and does it come with Diff locks as standard , if so how reliable are there regards Alex

Don't know much about the GU's as I'm a GQ man, but from what I have read a 98 GU Ti comes standard with rear diff lock.

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Guys, Any info on the Nissan Diff Lock that come with GU Ti model cheers Alex

What sort of info are you after?

04OFF
17th December 2011, 08:22 AM
I was talking to a forum member the other day that has a Ti wagon, it came factory with a "rear" diff lock (totally different diff housing too BTW), it has a electric switch on the centre console to activate it, the owner was very happy with the performance and reliability of the locker (and he did actually use it to go off road often)

You just have to be aware, that unlike a LSD, in normal 2wd mode you will really only be one wheel drive, untill you stop and engauge the locker, not really a problem on the road, as most cars are only one wheel drive anyway, and the locker will be better than a LSD in "most" situation "off road" for sure.

I almost bought a TI, but I was never keen on how the leather seats always seem to wear bad in the early Ti models

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 08:37 AM
Ti's started with the factory rear locker (and assorted other toys like rear air con and the 12v chiller box in the cargo area) in 1993. The locker is electronically engaged and is in the rear, so whilst it performs ok (as its meant to really), you're left with a completely open diff in other situations - no real drama, but generally means you only need a slight articulation happening on a slippery surface before one wheel will let go ... and subsequently you have to engage the locker. A bit frustrating for the average driver who isn't doing full on stuff. Personally prefer to have an LSD and not have to worry about it ... but if it's there anyway, I'd turn it on and leave it on the second you leave the black stuff - set and forget.

Only my 2c

altech
17th December 2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Guys for the info on the diff lock , no more that I didn't before , a "mate" tought it was a LSD with with a diff lock . and that would be Nice :-) cheers Alex

Silver
17th December 2011, 09:54 AM
some 'Qs came out with them - and in that model they needed to be activated regularly to keep them working - not sure if that is the case with the 'Us.

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 10:07 AM
some 'Qs came out with them - and in that model they needed to be activated regularly to keep them working - not sure if that is the case with the 'Us.

Not sure about "all", but as far as I'm aware all Ti's post 93 came with the factory locker, 4+ years of them. My brother has a 94 and it is electronic and simple push of the button ... others may be different as you state though ...

growler2058
17th December 2011, 11:01 AM
And didnt they also come with rear sway bar disconnect, the one i looked at for Gec's lad had a disconnect

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks Guys for the info on the diff lock , no more that I didn't before , a "mate" tought it was a LSD with with a diff lock . and that would be Nice :-) cheers Alex

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as factory or aftermarket LSD with diff lock. You either have a LSD or a Diff Lock. As your probable already aware you can run a rear LSD and front Diff Lock, If you have rear LSD and want lockers but only can afford 2 spent money on one, I would leave the LSD and put lockers in the front.

Do you have any switches / lights 2 indicate you have lockers???

Silver
17th December 2011, 03:13 PM
Not sure about "all", but as far as I'm aware all Ti's post 93 came with the factory locker, 4+ years of them. My brother has a 94 and it is electronic and simple push of the button ... others may be different as you state though ...

did you mean to quote my post Scotty - can't see an 'all' in my post. Anyhoo, in case my post was confusingly written, I'll have another go. I know that some at least of the short wheelbase GQs came with an electric rear locker. Of those rear lockers, they needed to be clicked in and out every now and again to keep them working. Dunno what is in GUs from the factory, still back in the Good Old Days of the GQ :-)

taslucas
17th December 2011, 04:56 PM

My GQ Ti is a 91 and has no locker. I just missed out:(

taslucas
17th December 2011, 04:58 PM
And didnt they also come with rear sway bar disconnect, the one i looked at for Gec's lad had a disconnect

Yep Mine has a sway bar disconnect. 91 Ti

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:17 PM
did you mean to quote my post Scotty - can't see an 'all' in my post. Anyhoo, in case my post was confusingly written, I'll have another go. I know that some at least of the short wheelbase GQs came with an electric rear locker. Of those rear lockers, they needed to be clicked in and out every now and again to keep them working. Dunno what is in GUs from the factory, still back in the Good Old Days of the GQ :-)

No mate - wasn't quoting, just in using tapatalk, I can't make text italic so I use the single quotations for certain words .. I was sort of disclaiming my following statement saying they "all" came out with lockers (the Ti's). With me? lmao

Silver
17th December 2011, 07:53 PM
No mate - wasn't quoting, just in using tapatalk, I can't make text italic so I use the single quotations for certain words .. I was sort of disclaiming my following statement saying they "all" came out with lockers (the Ti's). With me? lmao

ya lost me at tapatalk :-) Off this topic, but got my roll of Bunnings 75mm garden edging, 10m for $24

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:55 PM
ya lost me at tapatalk :-) Off this topic, but got my roll of Bunnings 75mm garden edging, 10m for $24

Good stuff - photos of mine on Tank's build thread ...