PDA

View Full Version : The thread to REMINISCE

rottodiver
5th December 2011, 11:07 PM
i had a bit of a laught today with one of the riggers on site and thought it would be a great topic for on here and maybe bring a few smiles!!!

we were talking about how much technology had changed and simplified our lives (and we are both only 36 so we are not that far away from growing up with it compared to some) and this brought some laughs...

here is a couple of topics we came up with...

Mobile phones!!
firstly like most we used to walk, ride our bikes down to the local phone and hope it had not been vandalised to ring our friends no matter what the weather and then have to deal with their parents answering phones and wanting to know why we were ringing them.

Camera's
and another was the cameras with film that needed developing, so often we would buy a 24 or 36 exposure, after taking all the pics (sometimes over a few months) then go to the camera shop to get them developed to find out sometimes only 4 or 5 worked and never the ones we wanted, the amount of out of focus, heads cut off pictures!!!

i am interested in other stories where technology has changed your life...for better or worse

happy writing or reading

Scotty

Bigrig
5th December 2011, 11:19 PM
I was discussing this with a mate just recently post watching a show on it ... the essence was "is anything ever truly a new idea".

Here's the example they used:

Isn't it awesome how many apps are available on the iPhone etc to do random tasks for us ... like an alarm clock (none of us had one of them before) to wake us up, and of course there's games - on a tiny 2" screen with no controls, and don't forget the ability to carry music around with us (just like a walkman, but more expensive, more theft attractive, and more detrimental if lost/broken due to containing all our worldly networks on it), and not to mention things like being able to order a pizza via an app on the phone that you have to type into rather than talk - how awesome is that???!!! Pick up the phone and you can order a pizza!!! Who would have ever thought it?? Truly amazing stuff!!!! lmao

Not quite what you're after, but similar concept - we find technology 'funky' but once the hype cycle dies off on each new advancement, we quickly realise its not a 'technological advancement' as much as an 'alternative' to the methods already tried and trusted!! The marketing obviously works though - just ask the owners of Apple, Microsoft, etc!!

Ade
5th December 2011, 11:21 PM
Just wondering how would it like to be without the internet these days. How are we going to even know how to fix our troll..??

rottodiver
5th December 2011, 11:46 PM
see!!! just reading these already brings a small chuckle.... all so true!!!!

Scotty

p.s and as for the size of the mobile phones we would happily carry around... "the bricks"

Ade
5th December 2011, 11:55 PM
Yeah..am smiling to the computer and missus asking why was I..?? hehehehe...

belzi82
6th December 2011, 12:06 AM
I am struggling here guys, I remember the old 286 computers at school and how we used to play 'Where in the world in Carmen Santiago', I had my first mobile phone when I was 15, I don't remember a world without internet or ever using a phone box. However I have learnt to apprechiate that I was lucky enough to grow up with these things. My mother often tells me how she did not get black and white TV until she was late teens (I don't remember telly being anything but colour).
However I do remember sitting around a cassette player with my friends recording ourselves which is now hard to do with CD's. I do remember film for the camera however have used digital most of my life.

Ade
6th December 2011, 12:14 AM
I barely touch a computer until I was 26..hahahaha

Ade
6th December 2011, 12:17 AM
Never really in to this internet things, not until I own Nissans especially the Safari

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2011, 12:28 AM
I find it hilarious that the most popular ring tone on an iPhone4 is the "Old Phone" LMAO, It drives me nuts that every man and his dog reckons is the most pleasing tone, i should find a different tone, every time i hear it is watch as everyone checks their own phone. lol

Finly Owner
6th December 2011, 12:36 AM
Ah I remeber having to learn how to sew a badge on my own scout scout uniform by hand, wash the uniform by hand, was aloowed to iron it with electri iron though. Put up a teht that could sleep ten kids using canvass tent, three poles, two lashing hemp ropes, to hemp guy ropes and I thinl from memory ten pegs belted in with a steel hammer.

Boiled a billy of tea at the age of 13, geez could actually collect and chop firewood so i could build the fire to start with. And knew how to clear around it to prevent grass from catching on fire. Could cook brekky and dinner on it.

I was a poor kid,sheesh still am, but anyway, had "grand prix" slot car track not the "scale electrix", had a hand me down haminex tv game not an Atari, and remember writing a program on the apple computer at high school to create a price list, now called a "table".

When all the kids had "redlines" I had a friggin motorcross push bike, as heavy as with front suspension forks (motorbike style) motor bike type handle bars and coil spring over shockie suspension mid mounted in the frame. Didn't fly real far! But I grew up with my feet planted on the ground and my nose smelling the real life, not with my head up...............!

And these days, I'm probably in the middle of the modern technology world, I don't buy the latest new gadgets, but I do watch the process of them and get something I've researched and am happy with about two years after it was released.

Tim

Silver
6th December 2011, 12:37 AM
ice blocks 3 cents, paddle pops 5, bags of mixed lollies for a few cents - and all at the school tuck shop :-)

the ferret
6th December 2011, 12:45 AM
Ha, 20 Rothmans filters fer four and threepence!!
Didn't even know how to turn a computer on till 2007!!

Ade
6th December 2011, 12:53 AM
Atari..not a Nintendo. These day kids plays on line games with play mates from around the whole world. I play real combats game with home made wood rifle and sling shot..

the ferret
6th December 2011, 01:48 AM
I know my Dad had about 20 gings he had confiscated lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
6th December 2011, 01:57 AM
Ha, 20 Rothmans filters fer four and threepence!!
Didn't even know how to turn a computer on till 2007!!

viscount and fiesta turf corktip black andwhite ciggies 2shillings and sixpence

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:12 AM
Rothmans. hehe..long time no hear. do you guys still have it there? We still have Lucky Strike (Chuck Norris) and Benson & Hedges (the wealthy) here though..hahaha

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:20 AM
How much does a pack of 20's cigarette cost you in Australia these day? Here it'll cost you AUD3.10 (RM10) a pack of 20's Marlboro now compared to 20 years ago it'll only cost us Aud70 cents (RM2.30)..

the ferret
6th December 2011, 02:21 AM
Yep, still get them, $20 for 20 Thank you Juliar!

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:24 AM
:jawdrop: $20 for 20's..??!!

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:40 AM
I'll be smoking pipes then, cheaper I reckon

my third 256
6th December 2011, 04:19 AM
going to school with a kit bag then progressed to a satchel

macca
6th December 2011, 07:47 AM
I was talking to my wifes grandad in the mid 80's, he was alive when the Wright brothers first flew, and at that time NASA was using the space shuttle.
Often wondered what change would happen in my lifetime....
When our youngest was born I had all the phone numbers of the customers I would be working for that day by the phone so my wife could track me down when she went into labour.
Then we used a pager, a brick that stayed in the car and who knows how many mobiles, was looking at a smart phone yesterday so I can have internet access on the job, what next?

gruntlet
6th December 2011, 07:58 AM
We used to knock on the front door, not sit in the car and text our friends to come out.

AB
6th December 2011, 08:03 AM
My olds bought their property back in 1975 for $8000. Dad earn't a decent wage back then with computer engineering roughly $250 a week. They moved to France for work for a year and had the property paid off in just over a year to build their mudbrick house when they returned.

Now, in my generation I would like to see anyone buy a block of land and pay it off in one year...LMAO

If expenses and wages are supposed to incline together then I would go buy a block for around $200,000-$400,000 and pay it off in one year I would need to be on around $450,000....LMAO

gruntlet
6th December 2011, 08:04 AM
ice blocks 3 cents, paddle pops 5, bags of mixed lollies for a few cents - and all at the school tuck shop :-)

A box of matches- 2 cents.

AB
6th December 2011, 08:07 AM
2011 = Ice blocks $4, Paddle Pops $2.50, bag of mixed lollies = $1.50 (you get about 5 lollies not a "bag"

Box of matches = 80 cents...

Loving it!

gruntlet
6th December 2011, 08:07 AM
One that MOST of you won't remember.....decimal currency...1966 !!!!

Bob
6th December 2011, 08:16 AM

1 Pound = $2

10 Shillings = $1

5 Shillings = 50c

Six Pence = 5 c

I can remember when we had Kero Lamps (No Electricity)
Black & White Cigarettes 10 Pennies for a packet of 10
Beer 10 Pence (10c a Glass)
My first Mobile Phone the size of a small Briefcase
Tax Returns were 4 Pages
No Television (Listened to Radio) Dad & Dave was a great serial

My first Wage was 13 Pounds a fortnight ( That is $26)

God i am old

AB
6th December 2011, 08:17 AM
10cents a beer...lol

I went to RSL last night $4 a pot...You beauty!!!!

gruntlet
6th December 2011, 08:19 AM
Our treat for the week was a roast on Sundays

Bigrig
6th December 2011, 08:30 AM
My olds bought their property back in 1975 for $8000. Dad earn't a decent wage back then with computer engineering roughly $250 a week. They moved to France for work for a year and had the property paid off in just over a year to build their mudbrick house when they returned.

Now, in my generation I would like to see anyone buy a block of land and pay it off in one year...LMAO

If expenses and wages are supposed to incline together then I would go buy a block for around $200,000-$400,000 and pay it off in one year I would need to be on around $450,000....LMAO

Dad and mum bought the house I (mostly) grew up in in 1976 for $63000 - just after that, dad had an opportunity to buy a "couple of acres" in a place called Bli Bli in Queensland (those who know the area will know where I'm going!!). He simply couldn't even afford the deposit having just bought the house, but was interested. Long and short of it was they decided not to 'waste' money on a potential investment in what was then remote bush land, and subsequently didn't buy it. That same parcel of land today has houses on it on standard 800 square metre blocks and each one (land alone) is worth about $450-500K!! 5 of them to an acre, just under 3 acres equates to about $6-7 million in value!!!

Those fools!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao

rottodiver
6th December 2011, 09:05 AM
I remember the days when on a weekend we would go knock on peoples doors to see if they wanted there car washed for a few dollars.... i dont think i have ever had someone knock on my door to wash the patrol..... or do they see the size if it and just skip my house???

Scotty

Dhuck
6th December 2011, 09:52 AM
I used to watch a few geek mates back in the 80's set up to play a games on there back then pearler of a computer, the Commodore Vic 20 (I pretty sure thats what they were called) They put the tape in, write 30 minutes of code then we would go outside and create a bit of havoc on our fibreglass and u-beaut flash as ply skateboards for another half hour. We'd go back inside to see how it was going, still not finished, quick bite to eat and finally the game had loaded. Damn, time to go home see ya later. lol

Bob
6th December 2011, 09:59 AM
Ok for those who can remember BASIC (Begginners allpurpose symbolic instruction code)

What does the following code do

10 For A = 1 TO 500
20 Print A
30 NEXT A
40 ENd

Sir Roofy
6th December 2011, 10:04 AM
i remember the days when on a weekend we would go knock on peoples doors to see if they wanted there car washed for a few dollars.... I dont think i have ever had someone knock on my door to wash the patrol..... Or do they see the size if it and just skip my house???

Scotty

i would think that kids these days are not motivated enough to wash cars mow lawns

with all there gadgets apps and stranger danger and keeping up with there idole

i remember years ago going out and leaving the door unlocked
askids we would leave the house at say 8am and didnt return till dinner
time

Sir Roofy
6th December 2011, 10:12 AM
our treat for the week was a roast on sundays

our treat now is fish+chips every now and then

2TROLLFAM
6th December 2011, 10:19 AM
Going out on ya pushy with your friends/cousins and not coming home till it was dark - no mobile phone for Mum & Dad to check up on you.

Got my first computer at 15 - a green screen Commodore64!!! Thought I was king dick LOL

And when you had the "latest" computer system with a whopping 4gb hard drive LMFAO boat anchors now...

the ferret
6th December 2011, 11:15 AM

Yep, 14th Feb, 1966.
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
6th December 2011, 11:20 AM
:jawdrop: $20 for 20's..??!!

Welllll, I might have exagerated a smidgen, but ya only get small change when ya hand over a $20
On the bright side tho, once you turn 60, you get FREE public transport on weekends, but us oldies can't have to much exitement as they have the FUN police here.!!
Diesel fuel heading for $2 a litre.
We ARE the lucky country ya know!

patch697
6th December 2011, 11:21 AM
Ok for those who can remember BASIC (Begginners allpurpose symbolic instruction code)

What does the following code do

10 For A = 1 TO 500
20 Print A
30 NEXT A
40 ENd

Its an old Dos command but its been so long I'd have to look it up to know what it did.

DX grunt
6th December 2011, 11:04 PM
I joined the Navy when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel.

I've gargled more salt than you've sailed over.

lol

A couple of people will relate to these sayings. hahahahahaha

2TROLLFAM
6th December 2011, 11:23 PM
I joined the Navy when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel.

I've gargled more salt than you've sailed over.

lol

A couple of people will relate to these sayings. hahahahahaha

LOVE IT!! But I ain't one who can relate :)~

patch697
7th December 2011, 12:22 AM
Does anybody remember an interactive TV game in the 80's called "TV Pow"?

Back in the early 80's I was living in regional Victoria and our local TV station (channel 6 in Shepparton) had a 5 minute program on Saturday evenings called TV Pow. People would enter a draw (probably by mailing their name and phone number in to the station) for a chance to play this game. Channel 6 would call the weekly winner and the phone call would be put to air. On the TV screen the station broadcast a computer game which consisted of crosshairs set in the middle of the screen and a randomly moving UFO flying around. While on the phone, the caller would watch the crosshairs and UFO on their TV. When the UFO moved behind the crosshairs they would yell "POW!" into the telephone (which would be heard on the TV). If the UFO was in the crosshairs when they yelled "POW!" it would be shot and they would win!!! Can't remember if there was a prize but as a kid I thought this was a pretty cool game!

Does anybody else remember this game? I wish they would play it again!

They didn't have that where I was living as a young fella but it sounds like it wound have been fun..... Could even be call a pioneer in interactive TV.

Woof
7th December 2011, 10:20 AM
I remember when people had manners and also respect for each other, those days are long gone now.

rottodiver
7th December 2011, 10:50 AM
I remember when people had manners and also respect for each other, those days are long gone now.

seems so long ago!!

rottodiver
7th December 2011, 03:36 PM
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the fashion( or lack of) ... The hypercolour t-shirts that changes colour with body temp(or sweat... Horrible in hignsite) and not to mention the clothes our parents dressed us in...what were they thinking??

DX grunt
7th December 2011, 04:28 PM
Now to really show my age to all you Victorians......remember Zig and Zag?? lol

Bob
7th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Now to really show my age to all you Victorians......remember Zig and Zag?? lol

Graham Kennedy
Ding Dong (Denise Drysdale)
Young Talent Time
Bert Newton (Oh sorry he is still around)
Gus Mercurio
TV Ringside
Kahoo Mahunga
Lionel Rose beating Fighting Harada for the World Title

Bob Menzies PM

World of Sport every Sunday on Channel 7 from 1959-1987 Lou Richards-Jack Dyer

boots
7th December 2011, 08:07 PM
When I was a boy I had a paper round . up at 0430 am and rode to the newsagent on my bmx pushie with stolen modified milk crates on the handlebars , no lights or vi viz clothing or helmat . load up with papers which were not wrapped up in gladwrap and ride off and do my round .6 days a week 2 hours each morning . and place the paper into the customers letterboxes .rain hail or shine . Told my 7 year old daughter this last month and she was shocked and stunned , she asked me why I didnt get me mum or dad to drive me around and do it . ??

Sir Roofy
7th December 2011, 08:16 PM
now to really show my age to all you victorians......remember zig and zag?? Lol

what about happy hammond on channel 9

6oclock rock with brian henderson

boots
7th December 2011, 09:36 PM
Yep not wrong Plasnart , those saturday age papers were no fun at all .

Sir Roofy
8th December 2011, 02:02 PM
speed tapes across the road

2TROLLFAM
8th December 2011, 11:13 PM
Sitting in my dads lap steering when I was 11 whilst doing 120klms - oh, in a fully loaded car carrier heading to Melbourne. Plus driving to the shops at 13 on a Sunday morning to get the paper - that was cool - my dad let me drive his then, brand new HiLux

ozzyboy
8th December 2011, 11:31 PM
i remember a dollar would get you enough chips to feed a small country, and 6 scallops to go with it !!!
to get this dollar, on a saturday we would go around pinching peoples hose fittings of their taps, and then sunday go back around and try sell
them back for 20 cents.

rate of success = possibly 5% get the 20 cents / 95% get a boot in the back side

ozz

Finly Owner
10th December 2011, 01:19 AM
Matlock Police, Solo One, Cop Shop, Homicide, Holiday Island, Sons and Daughters, Prisoner, The Sullivans, The Restless Years.

Scouting: Bob a job or in my days it was Jobweek, jam pot jamborees, Parade Drills, Uniform Inspections, Races/contests for Knots, tent pitching, fire lighting.

Games: Red Rover, What was the other one (bedlem) (run away from person counting. on mass, then try to sneak up to them without being spotted). Egg and spoon races, 3 leg races, potato sack races with real hession sacks! tunnel ball, water relays.

Bikes: dragsters with gear shift on the frame, First BMX, Hanimex bikes, cyclops trikes and scooters, The first mountain bikes( a cross between BMX & 10spd racer). Dyno Light systems that ran on your tyre to supply power for the light. Bag rack for the back and front. Cardboard clackers and pegs to hold them on. Handle grips with streamers. Handle bar mirrors. Ape hangers.
What about the skinny skate boards?

Events: James Hardie 1000 with all classes of cars race together, Lakeside raceway, Australia II wom American Cup with that Keel, The Opening of Dreamworld on the Gol Coast, The Commonwealth Games in Brisbane with Matilda in the Opening Ceremony, Matilda went to live at CADES COUNTY now Wet 'n' Wild. The Big Top at Myers Centre Brisbane, Grundys Surfers Paradise, Magic Mountain Gold Coast, Expo 88, Bullens Lion Park at Yatala ( i remeber going out with a bloke who worked there, on school holidays to help him read maps how to get to places, wher he would put down injured horses and cattle by shooting them with a 303, then winch them onto a old TJ Bedford truck and cart them for miles back to the park as food for the big cats. Clarks Transport used to cart hides from Teys Bros meat works, with a trail of blood all the way through Beenleigh. I remember Beenleigh Bakery on City Rd, Uptons Diposal on City Rd selling army diposals and guns when you didn't need a licence. Savages arcade with the large fruit and veg shop which was owned by the Owen-Jones'. Heilbrons Herbadashery(is that how it's spelt).

I have met over the years the late Sir James Ramsay(was guard of honour for him) when he opened the (then) new Senior Citizens centre in Beenliegh, Ivan Gibbs( Honourable) Liberal Member, a lady whom was the last surviving member of the original Lehmans' Family in Beenleigh (Lehmans Hill and Rd was named after them as they were cattle people in the area long long time ago, as were the Hammels and Feilds.K Fields used to own Midway Metals in Beenleigh which moved to Yatala eventually. Eric Sommers when he visited the Scout Jamboree at Collingwood park whie he was doing a show called Wombat that ran on channel 7, he also was Boris the Black Knight on Boris' Breakfast Club.

Travelling on the Red carriages behind a Diesel Locomotive Train, Or the "Silver Bullets" (2 & 3 carraige trains). The Workers Huts and camp at Bethania Rail station.

The Beenleigh Rail station on George St, Beenleigh cop shop in a demountable in James St , PO & Masonic Hall in James St, Scout Den in Kent St, The Beenleigh Dump being a open tip where the transfer station is now(actually adjacent). Did you ever see the Fountain and clock in Beenleighs town Centre. What about a Cane train, Steam Train or even the level crossings that used to be there? Not to mention the Turntable not far from the now non existing water hole. Did you ever buy a part for your pushy from Ol Mr Wolf?

How many lanes of highway do you remember between Brisbane and Gold Coast? How Many Old Servos can you tell me about?

Calling family friends Uncle/Aunty out of respect, or Mr and Mrs for neighbours and shopkeepers. Fearing Headmasters and cops and addressing them as Sir(not many women in those jobs then). Giving a seat to an adult on a bus/train.

Stop. Look, Listen and Look again before walking onto a crossing, it was your fault if a car had to brake for you when you stepped onto a crossing, you weren't automatically in the right!

Billabong is still famous, but do you remember Mango T's and tank tops? Speaking of brands, Golden Fleece Petrol, Ampol, TAA(trans australia airlines), Bonox, Scalens Bubble Gum with colector Cards. Weet-bix cards.

Any way, I've stolen enough space, so hope this was a small insight for at least one person.

Tim

growler2058
10th December 2011, 06:48 AM
Strewth Tim there's a show you forgot tho....... The young doctors hahahahahahahaha

Sir Roofy
10th December 2011, 07:47 AM
To much information

Woof
10th December 2011, 12:02 PM
Just went back to the beginning of our General Banter thread, see copied post below, seems so long ago now.

Originally Posted by patch697
Well here it is you lot my 1000th post & I decided it should go here as the thread seemed appropriate......lol

Hitting the post quick reply button............................................ NOW

Post edit: & so it come to pass... A bit of a milestone to WooHoo

p.s well Rossco it seems we are safe???? The counter go's over 999 after all......lol
Congratulations on being the first member to crack 1,000 posts. Seems we think about writing a post and the counter ticks over. lol.

Well done Paul. Somewhere in those 1K posts have been some good info. lol

gruntlet
10th December 2011, 01:31 PM
Strewth Tim there's a show you forgot tho....... The young doctors hahahahahahahaha Who could forget 'Skyways'. Lol

Plasnart
2nd January 2021, 11:24 PM
Watched a couple of episodes of A Country Practice recently. Reflections of a simpler Australia only 38 years ago. So much change. Fwiw, Nissan Australia were sponsors and a few nice old Patrols being used on the show!

MB
3rd January 2021, 07:23 AM
First real job out of school, being dropped off on the side of a road alone with shovels/crowbars/picks to find a water or gas main that needed attention. No mobile phones then, boss would just flick you 20cents and suggest you run to a nearest Tardis to ET phone home if anything exploded [emoji51][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brissieboy
3rd January 2021, 11:17 AM
I knew the old General when he was only a Lieutenant.

Plasnart
3rd January 2021, 02:00 PM
Watched a couple of episodes of A Country Practice recently. Reflections of a simpler Australia only 38 years ago. So much change. Fwiw, Nissan Australia were sponsors and a few nice old Patrols being used on the show!

MB
1st November 2022, 06:36 PM
With this relentless rain thought our old bush surf stomping ground wave machine as crazy kids might’ve been working to show our youngest what not to do today [emoji848]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/11/4.jpg

Unfortunately the rock shelf below must’ve eroded over the decades and aint curling back like the old days.

We used to tie a ski rope off a tree up top and used our surfboards and boogie boards to injure ourselves properly.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/11/5.jpg

Later as teens we’d kayak all the way through at lower river levels but I think that might be banned now too.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/11/6.jpg

BrazilianY60
1st November 2022, 08:02 PM
We used to tie a ski rope off a tree up top and used our surfboards and boogie boards to injure ourselves properly.

Hahahaha! Legend!

BrazilianY60
1st November 2022, 08:04 PM
Definitely a local thing, as I have never seen any old timer movies showing kids doing this elsewhere, but a pack of kids would run around the neighborhood collecting any piece of wood board we could find, asking any mechanic shop for old ball bearings and making ourselves some "downhill go karts" for a GP later on the same day.

As precisely described by MB, looking for ways to properly injure ourselves, LOL.

MB
1st November 2022, 10:31 PM
Light Gastro & Tonsil Issues were the worst of Calculated Ailments recorded in the Day there BZ Mate [emoji23]
Thankfully ALL the Yuppies Upstream now are eating plant based Fertilisers pooping through same infrastructure [emoji23][emoji23]

BrazilianY60
1st November 2022, 11:43 PM

Plasnart
1st November 2022, 11:51 PM

Brilliant stuff mate! Over here we called them "Billy Carts" but they usually had a seat and backrest. Anyway my old man built me a couple of billy carts as a kid, and one of them had ball bearing wheels. I still remember he said "don't take this off the concrete". I had no idea why and it wasn't until after riding it through a mud patch on day 1 and the bearings seizing up, and him cracking the shtis with me, did I realise why he said that! :D