PDA

View Full Version : Only 2 Maxtrax

NewDan
4th December 2011, 07:09 PM
Hey Guys, want to get some maxtrax for a bit of sand driving this summer but budget will only stretch to one pair. My question is are they effective on only 2 wheels or should I not bother if I can't get 4. Also if 2 wheels will do what is better... front or rear. Thanks Dan

Woof
4th December 2011, 08:10 PM
You will find that most people have and need only one set Dan, when I have used mine I used them at the front wheels and drove straight out and over them....but it still depends on the circumstances.
Tyre pressure mate, just make sure that you lower the pressure before going on any sand and just take off very slowly when using them.

Just go here and find out all about them http://www.maxtrax.com.au/

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 08:32 PM
Do you know anybody with a set, so you can practice ? Like Wayne said- tyre pressure is critical on sand. I never go on sand alone - unless I know help is within a uhf radio call. I have a set and skinny tyra and haven't been stick yet.

Rossco

Ps. Forgot to say that I have a set too

the evil twin
4th December 2011, 10:33 PM
Spend some sweat and make sure your diff pumpkins are clear, your not bellied up etc
Going back put them under the rear, going forward put them under the front
Don't put them cross axle (1 front, 1 rear) unless you are fully locked or know what you are doing
Gentle, confident application of power, the Maxi's may move a bit initially and you don't want to break traction and spin up

IMHO they are an excellent self help device altho the price is a bit uuummmm steep? Maxi's and a long handled shovel will get you out of a lot of problems

NewDan
5th December 2011, 12:13 AM
Unfortunatly we will be travelling alone but in a place where someone comes by every 20 minutes or so. Plan with pressures in to start at maybe 16/18 psi and go down from there if required. My tyres are 275/70/16 with a highway type tread on them ( can't change them at the moment) and I'll have a pair of Maxtrax, long handled shovel, snatch strap UHF... if it gets too soft may shy away and stick to the easier stuff till I get a bit more experience. Thanks for your help guys. Dan

gruntlet
5th December 2011, 08:30 AM
Unfortunatly we will be travelling alone but in a place where someone comes by every 20 minutes or so. Plan with pressures in to start at maybe 16/18 psi and go down from there if required. My tyres are 275/70/16 with a highway type tread on them ( can't change them at the moment) and I'll have a pair of Maxtrax, long handled shovel, snatch strap UHF... if it gets too soft may shy away and stick to the easier stuff till I get a bit more experience. Thanks for your help guys. Dan
Great stuff.

Know the terrain,know your vehicle and a capabilities,and know your own capabilities. I'M reasonably knew to 4wd'ing and use the principle of "if in doubt, don't go". I always wear my seat belt. You never know who or what is coming around the corner. Enjoy.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Sir Roofy
5th December 2011, 09:20 AM
X2 if in doubt dont go,if it looks to steep for you it probably is
the best and safest way is to know your limits

cheers

Silver
5th December 2011, 12:13 PM
I think others may have a different view, but my experience is highway pattern tyres are a good choice for sand compared with more aggressive patterns.

Bigrig
5th December 2011, 12:30 PM
I think others may have a different view, but my experience is highway pattern tyres are a good choice for sand compared with more aggressive patterns.

I've got muddies and with every level of respect, tyre pressure and momentum are more important than tyre pattern IMHO. I drop to around 16-18 pounds and have never been bogged on sand (have done Fraser, Stradbroke, Moreton and Bribie islands and Inskip Point, Cooloola/Teewah etc etc).

When stopping let the sand pull you up where possible on soft sand rather than heavy braking (so you don't bury in), reverse back through your tracks when you take off if in doubt of how soft it is and whether you can go forwards, stop facing 'down' or 'up' the beach rather than flat/level along the length of the beach to let gravity do its thing where possible, keep steady momentum (4 high - others will have differing opinions on this, but I rarely if ever use 4L on sand), etc, etc, and bobs your uncle!!

Dw86
5th December 2011, 05:31 PM
I only have 2 and i have never felt like i needed a second pair.

04OFF
6th December 2011, 02:06 PM
I've got muddies and with every level of respect, tyre pressure and momentum are more important than tyre pattern IMHO. I drop to around 16-18 pounds and have never been bogged on sand (have done Fraser, Stradbroke, Moreton and Bribie islands and Inskip Point, Cooloola/Teewah etc etc).

When stopping let the sand pull you up where possible on soft sand rather than heavy braking (so you don't bury in), reverse back through your tracks when you take off if in doubt of how soft it is and whether you can go forwards, stop facing 'down' or 'up' the beach rather than flat/level along the length of the beach to let gravity do its thing where possible, keep steady momentum (4 high - others will have differing opinions on this, but I rarely if ever use 4L on sand), etc, etc, and bobs your uncle!!

I agree, and great advice.

If you drive a Auto, and the sand is a bit soft, (not just hard beach surface) try and keep overdive off, don't be afraid to make it easy on your car and go into Low, its best to go into Low range and have the gearbox cruise along in third gear, rather than stay in H4 and have the gearbox in second gear (or change between 2 & 3rd all the time)

2 Maxtrax is fine, ive done lots of sand driving and never got into trouble, but while waiting for the tide/s over on straddie one day, i got myself stuck on purpose (Big sand hill, tyres @ 45PSI , car fully loaded with gear) to test my out Maxtrax , they worked quite well (i only have 2)

I found under rear tyres worked best on the hill, but its easy to try both, BTW, i went back to the same hill with tyres set low, and could drive up it easy.

nowoolies
7th December 2011, 10:58 AM
we have two sets
and that came in very handy on a beach run we did with a few of the lads from on here
Timba`s bus lost his front locking hub`s and he was starting to get a washing in the surf
4 max tracks saved the day but ended up using 3 sets a mate had a set with him
with 1 set i dont think we would have got him out

Dw86
7th December 2011, 12:00 PM
we have two sets
and that came in very handy on a beach run we did with a few of the lads from on here
Timba`s bus lost his front locking hub`s and he was starting to get a washing in the surf
4 max tracks saved the day but ended up using 3 sets a mate had a set with him
with 1 set i dont think we would have got him out

Argh, don't say that man!! I think you have just jinxed me haha can't say I've been caught like that but never say never I guess.

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 10:46 AM
Has anyone found Maxtrax for a cheaper price than the $289-$299 range?

Clunk
15th July 2012, 11:40 AM
Has anyone found Maxtrax for a cheaper price than the $289-$299 range?

Supercrap had them for 240 last week..... Not sure about now

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 11:57 AM
Cool thanx .. Might go have a little look then

ozzyboy
15th July 2012, 04:47 PM
i was looking at these. seem equivalent product, 100 bux cheaper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRED-TOTAL-RECOVERY-EXTRACTION-DEVICE-800MM-UNIQUE-ALTERNATIVE-MAXTRAX-/370629987679?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564b44cd5f

ozz

TimGU
15th July 2012, 05:13 PM
Supercrap had them for 240 last week..... Not sure about now

When I went to super heap they had sold but the manager rang bcf (same company) and they matched the price. Not sure I quite the same deal as you , think I paid $275.

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 07:35 PM
Every cent counts although I just saw the "limited edition" colours ... LOL ... They have PINK!!!

growler2058
15th July 2012, 08:12 PM
Every cent counts although I just saw the "limited edition" colours ... LOL ... They have PINK!!!

Wow that'll help hahahahahahahaha

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Clunk
15th July 2012, 08:24 PM

But the LE ones are only available on line aren't they?

Clunk
15th July 2012, 08:31 PM
i was looking at these. seem equivalent product, 100 bux cheaper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRED-TOTAL-RECOVERY-EXTRACTION-DEVICE-800MM-UNIQUE-ALTERNATIVE-MAXTRAX-/370629987679?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564b44cd5f

ozz
Fair bit shorter than the maxtrax, does that mean anything..... probably not.

Could be a goodcheaper option

T0nka
15th July 2012, 08:49 PM
Another good option is an exhaust jack

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 09:03 PM
Wow that'll help hahahahahahahaha

OF COURSE IT WILL YOU DOPE!! hahahahahaha

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 09:03 PM
But the LE ones are only available on line aren't they?

I beleive so - have been searching online all day and only direct from the Maxtrax website

2TROLLFAM
15th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Another good option is an exhaust jack

Thought of that too - had one of those but my ex husband got it in the custody battle, and MY boat ...

Only used it twice - was a pain in the buttocks but it did work

Clunk
15th July 2012, 09:56 PM
I beleive so - have been searching online all day and only direct from the Maxtrax website

Pretty sure you wont get the pretty lil pink ones el cheap unfortunately ......... only ever seen the orange ones come up on special

2TROLLFAM
16th July 2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah think I'll stick to orange eh!! LOL now if they were PURPLE that'd be a different story .....

growler2058
16th July 2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah think I'll stick to orange eh!! LOL now if they were PURPLE that'd be a different story .....

Oh yeah they're heaps better for recovery hahahahaha hahahahaha

taslucas
16th July 2012, 05:55 PM
Pretty sure you wont get the pretty lil pink ones el cheap unfortunately ......... only ever seen the orange ones come up on special

..................................:)

DX grunt
16th July 2012, 07:08 PM
Hey Guys, want to get some maxtrax for a bit of sand driving this summer but budget will only stretch to one pair. My question is are they effective on only 2 wheels or should I not bother if I can't get 4. Also if 2 wheels will do what is better... front or rear. Thanks Dan

Here's my set of Maxtrax. It's the original version and I believe there's a newer version with a different pattern and a strap. It's orange, orange and more orange. lol
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntandMaxtrax005.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntandMaxtrax007.jpg

I love my Maxtrax. It even got our Commodore Wagon out of the sand!!!! lol

macca
16th July 2012, 07:52 PM
Bloke in the club swears by them, he likes to go solo on the Madigan line for example.

They have saved his bacon on may occasions.

A fault with them is in that sand they get driven down and get burried, he has spent some time on the shovel finding them!!

Now he has tied a length of nylon rope in a bright colour to them as a tell tale so he knows where to dig!!!!

He has 2 plus a pair of metal ramps about the same size.

2TROLLFAM
17th July 2012, 10:03 AM
..................................:)

LMFAO wrong colour .. I want purple bit it's orange all the way :)

threedogs
17th July 2012, 04:39 PM
New ones out are called TREDS no doubt a very close copy of the Max Traxx

bschotty
9th September 2012, 11:26 PM
I was debating whether to buy TREDS or MaxTrax all week.
Ended up buying a pair of maxtrax yesterday.
Went out to the beach hoping to get bogged today... didn't.
I did try them out on a bogged X-Trail and another Patrol. Worked even better than I thought they would. These guys were pretty deep. They dug a channel and I wedged them under the front tires.
I've been told you need to be careful about wheel spin so I guided the driver as they accelerated until they gripped so as to avoid spin. The x-trail had highway tires, not an issue.
For beach driving I think a pair is fine.

Rocket55
13th January 2015, 06:35 PM
Bit of a thread dig, looking for storage options, but couldn't help noticing, you can get PURPLE ones online now :toot:

Hodge
13th January 2015, 07:19 PM
It's a Patrol, no need for these.

Patrol'n
13th January 2015, 08:52 PM
I have 2 pairs, got a cheaper type, yet to use em in a really serious bog, got 2 sets for the price of 1 set of max trax coz they were on for a really good price. I went for two pairs as when I was first starting with my patrol I was told 2 sets were better, since it could help reduce wheel spin with a track at every wheel, and that saved damage to the tracks. So far only ever used 1 set of tracks in recovering a bogged car...

2TROLLFAM
25th January 2015, 08:38 PM
We've now got 2 sets as well - 1 in the original orange for Brads troll and a blue set for mine .. Still sitting in the garage unused :(

We haven't been ANYWHERE for nearly a year - it's a sad sad sad state of affairs

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Stropp
25th January 2015, 10:44 PM
Yep I have two sets one blue one orange, only been used once to recover a bogged tourist.

Patrol'n
26th January 2015, 02:38 AM
I almost needed em yesterday, that sand was VERY soft....

HappyCamper*
26th January 2015, 10:10 AM
I brought the TRED brand , Very happy with them as I have put them together & used them to break beads on tyres in the bush for tyre repair . Put them on so back of TRED was on tyre close to rim . Than drove car up them no damage first time I did it but second time just a little to close to rim & small piece of plastic came off . They still work well & I was surprised they held the weight of the car with out breaking in the middle . I have used them 4 times for this & would not know it except for the small piece missing .
I only take brothers second set with me when we are towing something , if not one set has served well .