PDA

View Full Version : Bump smash ohoo my steering....

HippoNZ
4th December 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Team,

Today I hit a rut rather hard and it took the tyre off the bead both sides at the front and also had oil spewing out of my power steering box. Before I start racing in and pulling it apart is there anything I need to know? Basically I will pull it apart to see the extent of the damage and I'm hoping its just a gasket that needs replacing and some bolts done back up or replaced. From the outside it doesn't look physically damaged much but trying to drive round is like a work out at the gym lmao
Really I'm after some tips from people who have pulled one apart before.
I will also get the front end a good going over since the steering wheel is now upside down while driving in a straight line so hopefully I haven't bent anything.
I have a 92 GQ TD42

Cheers in advance
Brett.

Bigrig
4th December 2011, 04:54 PM
Get a second hand replacement boss and whack it in - then you can pull yours apart and if recoverable, you've got a spare!!

Sir Roofy
4th December 2011, 05:27 PM
Excellent idea bigrig ,man you must have been pushing the berries to get it to that state

AB
4th December 2011, 05:46 PM
Just curious to know mate did you hit the rut straight on, full/half lock.....What gear were you in?

HippoNZ
4th December 2011, 07:10 PM
Are power steering units expensive?? I was in 2nd low range doing about 3000 rpm. Got stuck in the same place yesterday and was determined not to get stuck today. At the end of the rut it had a slight cliff not very high and I hit that with a slight off set to the left. Starting to regret this but I dont like being beaten! lmao

HippoNZ
5th December 2011, 05:23 PM
Pulled out the steering pump today and started pulling it apart. Now I have never done one of these before so my question is. I took off the plate at the end of the dog leg to drain the left over oil and I had bearings fall out..... is that what's suppose to happen? The unit itself is looking alright but a little nervous having the bearings fall out like they did. All I can say it is one messy job to work on these puppies.

growler2058
5th December 2011, 06:08 PM
Foters dont forget the foters :-) hahaaha

HippoNZ
5th December 2011, 06:33 PM
Some rough photo's from a rough garage setup lol

Finly Owner
5th December 2011, 08:40 PM
oops too much momentums not the KEY!

Tim

Ade
5th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Bearings fell out is normal mate..I've done this once when I first bought the my safari. It's a bit tricky to repack the bearings..bummer I didn't really remember how to do it. I wish I could help..

HippoNZ
6th December 2011, 02:55 PM
Bearings fell out is normal mate..I've done this once when I first bought the my safari. It's a bit tricky to repack the bearings..bummer I didn't really remember how to do it. I wish I could help..

When you say tricky.... lol Do you remember where the bearings go? I rang my mechanic today and he said "ohh why did you pull it apart" my typical response was, because I'm curious about how it works lol
If you remember where the bearings go, what makes it so tricky on putting them there?

Cheers
Brett

Ade
6th December 2011, 09:27 PM
If you really pull everything off..you will see there is a 'C' shape tube sort of thing where all the bearings live mate. You have to put in one bearing at a time, push it in and sort of turn the shaft so the bearing will drop in..

Ade
6th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Just a little tricky mate..hehe

HippoNZ
20th December 2011, 04:55 PM
Ok, update for you lot with questions lol
I got my hands on a 2nd hand steering box in good nik. bolted it on but where the steering arm connects to the pitman arm with one bolt is where im screwed at the moment. The thread is stuffed and when I get the nut onto the bolt the bolt just spins where you put the grease into. How the hell do I get around this?
Got frustrated so left the job for today now scratching my head.

Help will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Brett

Sir Roofy
20th December 2011, 05:48 PM
Try a pair of multi grips so you can get the nut started

HippoNZ
20th December 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks roofy, will give it a crack.
Does anyone know how the bolt is held in there?

HippoNZ
21st December 2011, 04:33 PM
Turns out the ball joint is shagged. The downside of this is I have the tie rod that doesn't have removable ball joints so looks like I'm up for replacing the bar aswell. Anyone know if a tie rod from a 87 safari would fit a 92 safari?

Ben-e-boy
21st December 2011, 08:48 PM
Brett, I just measured the stock one of the ute (96 model) 1115mm centre to centre. through a tape across yours. if its the same as mine there is a good chance its the same as the other one. Also I would invest in some stronger aftermaket steering arms
cheers
benny

HippoNZ
22nd December 2011, 03:35 PM
Brett, I just measured the stock one of the ute (96 model) 1115mm centre to centre. through a tape across yours. if its the same as mine there is a good chance its the same as the other one. Also I would invest in some stronger aftermaket steering arms
cheers
benny

Thanks mate, I've ended up biting the bullet and bought a heavy duty drag link, sorry I cocked up before when I said tie rod, got myself confused! lol Pick it up tomorrow and will install. Just gotta get the tyres reset on the bead then I'll be back in business! hopefully...... lol

Cheers
Brett.

Sir Roofy
22nd December 2011, 06:49 PM
glad you got it sorted brett just in time for xmas

HippoNZ
22nd December 2011, 07:42 PM
glad you got it sorted brett just in time for xmas

Thats what I said! xmas pressie for myself lol