PDA

View Full Version : auto trans cooler

rottodiver
3rd December 2011, 11:36 AM
I am going to either replace or add a second auto trans cooler with a fan to my 4.5 petrol.. Any suggestions as to whether replacing or adding a second one will be greatly appreciated.. Also if a second one is suggested where to mount it...

Thanks heaps
Scotty

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2011, 02:41 PM
if your auto is getting that hot that you need another cooler
it maybe time for a bit of maintenance,oil change ,take the sump plate of and ckeck filter

rottodiver
3rd December 2011, 03:05 PM
if your auto is getting that hot that you need another cooler
it maybe time for a bit of maintenance,oil change ,take the sump plate of and ckeck filter

hey roofy,
This is purely preventitive, I am off to Exmouth etc over Xmas and the simpson next year.. The car carries a fait bit of weight with all accessories etc..
Do you not think it is worth it?
Scotty
P.s the fan will be in a switch for hot days and off road

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2011, 04:53 PM
well mate if your not over loaded you shouldnt need an extra fan mr nissan didnt think it needed it either

good luck with it mate

patch697
3rd December 2011, 05:36 PM
Most common thing done here is the factory trans cooler is replaced with a much bigger after market number.

I don't see any harm in doing both cooler upgrade & aux fan as even with a small load on board its still going to be working pretty hard doing the Simpson.

rottodiver
3rd December 2011, 06:10 PM
that is what I guessed... I have ordered a big one with the fan, anything to keep the transmission cooler!! Thanks for that

canuck
4th December 2011, 01:58 AM
When you install the tranny cooler, make sure you install it before the rad and keep the fluid going through the rad. The ATF needs to be at a certain temp for your tranny to operate properly. I've known people here in Canada who by-passed the rad cooler and wonder why their auto box stopped shifting properly or would not go into OD.

cliff
4th December 2011, 08:58 PM
One thing we dont have a problem here with is the AT's getting to operating temp, keeping them cool on the other hand is a problem. I'm just about to do an ally radiator with the largest davies craig trans cooler. Biggest problem is mounting it, I'll be throwing in a bonnet scoop and mounting it on top of the engine, that will keep the front of radiator clear too!

robbo0001
5th December 2011, 07:11 AM
Cliff could you throw some photos up of the set-up when its done? Be interested to have a look, something I have been considering for a future mod.

Cheers

cliff
5th December 2011, 10:42 PM
Yep will do

Ade
5th December 2011, 11:11 PM
I put my secondary cooler behind the radiator (in between rad and fan), it is not the best place but it works on mine.

Ade
5th December 2011, 11:15 PM
One thing we dont have a problem here with is the AT's getting to operating temp, keeping them cool on the other hand is a problem. I'm just about to do an ally radiator with the largest davies craig trans cooler. Biggest problem is mounting it, I'll be throwing in a bonnet scoop and mounting it on top of the engine, that will keep the front of radiator clear too!

Cliff, what was the highest atf temperature on yours mate?

Skull
6th December 2011, 02:27 AM
The way I see it mate the increase in oil capacity and the ability to maintain cool is above all else with auto's. Better to spend a lil on a good cooler, tis cheap insurance I say. How much for a new tranny? Know what I would prefer.

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:30 AM
Yeap..I've got 2 aux coolers in series with the factory's

Ade
6th December 2011, 02:37 AM
Seems a bit tricky to mount them but it can be done. I moved my a/c condenser under the chassis, mount the big cooler in between the radiator and the fan, the other one is under the radiator. Plus I have an intercooler in front the radiator.