PDA

View Full Version : Boost line on 4.2 turbo GU

Lewy
1st December 2011, 09:44 PM
Gday all,

I have been reading about where to install my boost gauge line and reckon I have it worked out but was just hoping for someone to confirm it for me. I gather that if I attach my boost gauge line into a T piece in the little black pipe coming from the back of the turbo actuator that my boost gauge will work fine from there. Is this correct? I have added a pic of the line.

Cheers Steve

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 08:45 AM
O well Im about to go put it in there now So will see what happens.. If anyone has any ideas don't be scared to post them

Lewy

AB
2nd December 2011, 09:37 AM
I tapped mine onto the cross over pipe of the turbo that usually goes to the aneroid/boost compensator but mine was TD42 N/A so I dont have aneroids on mine so I tapped it in there....Tony's suggestion!

Personally I would rather keep the boost line away from the turbo but hopefully someone can advise otherwise.

A better spot would be to drill and tap into the elbow on top of the inlet manifold. Easy DIY job, 4 bolts, take the elbow off, drill and tap...

See what other's say first....

The bottom of this thread is my set up (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42/page5)...

patch697
2nd December 2011, 11:32 AM
Is yours intercooled?

I would recommend installing the boost gauge fitting after the intercooler if it is as this will give you a more accurate boost reading.

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 12:00 PM
Gday Guys,

Yes it is intercooled.. I have just put it in where I said and it dose work but will be going out and getting a tap and die set to put it in after the intrecooler...

Cheers lewy

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 12:12 PM
You can cut into your boost line in your intercooler really simply mate. while you are there you can remove the butterfly gate in your intercooler. I will try and take a pic for you.

That pic you have is actually where you would place your Variable Boost Controller actually but i am not sure how it would go as a boost measure point?

I'll try and get or find a pic for you mate.

Cheers MR

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 12:18 PM
Try this pic mate. not taken by me by i lifted it from a thread elsewhere.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/azzaz_42tdi/15-01-08_17331.jpg

note also the square box in the foreground of that pic, open that up and remove the butterfly while your there.

Easy as.

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 12:37 PM
Wow that would be a lot easier LOL So what dose removing this butterfly do?

P.S thanks for the pic that helps heaps.... I have fitted it to where I took that pic and it works well but if thats where the boost control gose then Ill have to move it as thats getting done soon :-)

Lewy

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 02:15 PM
Wow that would be a lot easier LOL So what dose removing this butterfly do?

P.S thanks for the pic that helps heaps.... I have fitted it to where I took that pic and it works well but if thats where the boost control gose then Ill have to move it as thats getting done soon :-)

Lewy

yep you dont have to cut into that alloy part but put a 'T' into the rubber hose going to that point and you should be right. Easy As mate.

The butterfly is part of the EGR on the TD42Ti and will retard the airflow going into your intercooler when the EGR engages. (I think??) Rip her out mate, she's in the way ;)

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 02:57 PM
Yep done it and it works well :-) So If I just take out the butterfly Will that stop it from using burnt gasses and will then only breath fresh cool air??

Cheers for all your help MR

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 03:33 PM
Ok I have now removed the butterfly... So now if I put somthing in to block of this (Please see pic) then thats it it will no longer use burnt gasses??

Lewy

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 05:34 PM
exactly right. either cut a piece of flat plate or pm Ferret as he make the blanks ad he will send one over to you for a small charge.

Lewy
2nd December 2011, 06:21 PM
Wicked Mate all done!!! Inlet blocked off, intercooler flushed out and butterfly removed....

Thanks for all your help MR :-)

Lewy

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 10:34 PM
No Problem Lewy, Glad you have got something out of being a member here. Stay a while mate there is heaps to learn and share. Glad your here.

This thread will become a great resource for others too because it turned out to be an informative thread with good pics from both sides. Good job mate.

Sir Roofy
2nd December 2011, 10:36 PM
Was interesting to follow this thread yes its going to help out a lot

thanks to you both

Wizard52
27th September 2012, 01:05 PM
OOPPPSSS reply to wrong thread

Many thanks to all involved. I have similar noise coming from my variable boost controller. Any suggestions on what could be done to enclose controller to reduce noise yet still let air escape?
I have just wrapped a bit of rag around it with a cable tie to go for short run to test and it definately reduced the noise but need something more fire resistant and permanent.