PDA

View Full Version : Ask all your general ( none related forum ) computer questions here

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DX grunt
1st December 2011, 07:43 AM
I thought it would be a fantastic idea to keep all the computer questions and answers in the one thread. :clapping:

Maybe, if I beg enough, a mod could make this a sticky. :bananarock: lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Any advice given in this thread is done so with the best knowledge & intentions of the person providing it & is based solely on the information they have at hand. Anyone attempting to carryout any repairs on there own or any other computer with the advice given here does so of there own free will & with the express knowledge that any & all exorcizes are to be attempted/performed "AT THERE OWN RISK".

DISCLAIMER Please be advised the forum, its Administrators & Moderators will not be held responsible or accountable for any & all damages that may be incurred by any & all individuals & or equipment as a result information or advice given & or any costs associated forthwith.

Regards

Forum Administration.

DX grunt
1st December 2011, 07:45 AM
I have a lappy with a usb stick so that the mouse and keyboard can go wireless. My problem is that when I take the stick out, they keyboard reverts to the lappy keyboard, but I can't move the lappy mouse. Any ideas? It's a Logitech usb stick.

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 07:54 AM
I have a lappy with a usb stick so that the mouse and keyboard can go wireless. My problem is that when I take the stick out, they keyboard reverts to the lappy keyboard, but I can't move the lappy mouse. Any ideas? It's a Logitech usb stick.

My idea is its because computers are technology that went wrong......... useless pieces of cr!p
And probable because your using Microsoft as an operating system *LMAO*

Do you just rip the memory stick out or do you use the "Safely remove hardware and Eject media" that should be located on the taskbar somewhere?

patch697
1st December 2011, 08:04 AM
My idea is its because computers are technology that went wrong......... useless pieces of cr!p
And probable because your using Microsoft as an operating system *LMAO*

Got it in one mate.......hahahahahaha

patch697
1st December 2011, 08:10 AM

A lot of those cordless USB mouse units are detected at start up, some even require being detected at start up before they'll work & when detected become your default.

I'd try what Todd suggested & see if it works but most times the simplest way around it is a restart without the component plugged in to restore the mouse pad as the default.

The other is to go into the control panel before disconnecting the mouse & change the default manually or via hot keys.

Like I said the simple way around it is a restart.

Hope that helps.

ZTG
1st December 2011, 02:25 PM
I don't seem to be able to put up a profile pic on this site, I have tried to do so, and when I look on my profile settings it is there, but nothing is coming up on my posts (see left)

any ideas????
ZTG

ZTG
1st December 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't seem to be able to put up a profile pic on this site, I have tried to do so, and when I look on my profile settings it is there, but nothing is coming up on my posts (see left)

any ideas????
ZTG

disregard I worked it out, I had it saved as a profile pic, you need to save it as an avatar sorry.

snicko
3rd December 2011, 10:16 PM
How do you get photos off a portable hard drive when the computer it's plugged into doesn't recognise it?

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:18 PM
Why does the touch pad on my lappy freeze every now and then? And what can I do to get it working again without restarting the computer?? I don't use a mouse so this is frustrating.

It may have a corrupt driver & be in need of a driver update.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:29 PM
How do you get photos off a portable hard drive when the computer it's plugged into doesn't recognise it?

Whats it asking for when you plug it in first off?

If the computer can't see it when its first plugged in, try going into control panel & going through "add new hardware" the computer will then do a manual search for any new hardware or devices recently added to it system. Once its detected the device it should install a suitable driver for the hardware automatically & if it cant find one, it will prompted you to give it permission to use the internet to search for a suitable driver. If it finds one it will install it & your on your way.

If this isn't the problem it could be a partition or format issue but try the above first & get back to us if you find you need more help with it.

snicko
3rd December 2011, 10:34 PM
Whats it asking for when you plug it in first off?

If the computer can't see it when its first plugged in, try going into control panel & going through "add new hardware" the computer will then do a manual search for any new hardware or devices recently added to it system. Once its detected the device it should install a suitable driver for the hardware automatically & if it cant find one, it will prompted you to give it permission to use the internet to search for a suitable driver. If it finds one it will install it & your on your way.

If this isn't the problem it could be a partition of format issue but try the above first & get back to us if you find you need more help with it.

My son has had two stop working.

I wont see him until the end of the week so will ask him.

Thanks

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:40 PM
My son has had two stop working.

I wont see him until the end of the week so will ask him.

Thanks

If the portable HD's have stopped working for some reason & can't be accessed via a computers OS not all is lost. Either myself or I could recommend someone else to extract the info off the failed drive & transfer it to another drive.

Just an option if he gets stuck.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks mate. And how would I do that?

What OS is your computer running?

XP

Vista

Windows7

snicko
3rd December 2011, 10:49 PM
If the portable HD's have stopped working for some reason & can't be accessed via a computers OS not all is lost. Either myself or I could recommend someone else to extract the info off the failed drive & transfer it to another drive.

Just an option if he gets stuck.

Thanks

It is very expensive to have done??

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:54 PM
Where do I look to find this out?? LOL! :clownredpuff:

Click on the start menu. right click on computer this will give you a drop down menu. click on properties at the very bottom & this should bring up a basic information page which will have the version of windows your running in it.

unless your using Apple & in that case I can't help you cos I wont touch them myself.

Clunk
3rd December 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks

depends on who does it!!!!!! lol

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks

No not really but that depends largely on how much HD reconstruction work it needs.

Myself & the guy I would recommend won't continue doing any work on a customers equipment without consulting them first after our initial inspection has been carried out.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 11:09 PM
Microsoft Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Be right with a Plass7y im on a caal.

snicko
3rd December 2011, 11:09 PM
"May be infected by unknown virus Win32/DH.00000000{00008001-00000000-00000000}";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP662\A0133883.exe";"Object is inaccessible.";"2/12/2011, 8:22:05 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

This keeps coming up on my laptop.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 11:33 PM
Microsoft Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Ok..... with yours I nned you to go back & do the same as you did before to get to the basic info page, then find the hardware tab at the top of the page click that & in the new page find the device manager button.

Once you click on that it will open a new page with a list of items in it. If you only have one item here it should be the word computer with an "X" marked box. click on the "X" marked box & should brop down a list.

In that list if the is any listing with a question make or an exclamation make post back which item is marked please.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 11:40 PM
"May be infected by unknown virus Win32/DH.00000000{00008001-00000000-00000000}";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP662\A0133883.exe";"Object is inaccessible.";"2/12/2011, 8:22:05 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

This keeps coming up on my laptop.

Yours is bit more serious.

Is this coming up when you do a virus or spyware scan as well? If you haven done this yet please do it & get back to me.

Something has either shut down or corrupted your "Service Host Process exe " with is a major part of your system main operations & this will course your computer to slow down & become sluggish through high CPU demand & needs to be rectified asap.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 11:42 PM
Everything in that list has a + symbol. No ? or !

Yeah click on them all mate to open everything right up & tell me if you find anything which I mentioned above.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 11:47 PM

Is this coming up when you do a virus or spyware scan as well? If you haven done this yet please do it & get back to me.

Something has either shut down or corrupted your "Service Host Process exe " with is a major part of your system main operations & this will course your computer to slow down & become sluggish through high CPU demand & needs to be rectified asap.

A quick question.... Have you installed any software Or have you been asked to download anything recently? The reason I ask is cos I suspect you may in fact have a virus on your computer.

snicko
3rd December 2011, 11:52 PM

"Trojan horse FakeAV.SHA";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP600\A0121919.dll";"Moved to Virus Vault";"15/09/2011, 10:17:07 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

"Trojan horse FakeAV.SHA";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP600\A0121919.dll";"Object is inaccessible.";"15/09/2011, 11:06:45 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

Since my antivirus found this I have had the other one come up on a regular basis. (A Youtube vid had this in it!!)

If I leave the laptop on overnight and I check it in the morning there are lots of lines "threat detected" etc

The lappy is set to do regular scans and I have also done manual ones. Sometimes it finds is and sometimes it doesn't!! Does this make sense??

patch697
4th December 2011, 12:07 AM
In Portable Devices section there is a red X next to Nokia 6300 and Nokia 6500c. Nothing else has a mark next to it.

Well that Nokia thing is nothing to worry about for now cos it software to an old phone im tipping.

I reckon I'll need to get up close & personal with your lappy old mate in order to try & get to the bottom of this one so best we organize a trip up my way or down yours.

In the mean time a good quick fix would be to go get yourself a USB PC or laptop mouse & plug it un to see if you still have that same problem.

If you cant get a loan of one down your way don't go out & buy one, let me know & I'll post you one you can keep for nicks. (have a few spare ones here)

patch697
4th December 2011, 12:09 AM
"Trojan horse FakeAV.SHA";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP600\A0121919.dll";"Moved to Virus Vault";"15/09/2011, 10:17:07 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

"Trojan horse FakeAV.SHA";"c:\System Volume Information\_restore{233BEA63-C0D4-46EF-8798-50C0E8520D96}\RP600\A0121919.dll";"Object is inaccessible.";"15/09/2011, 11:06:45 AM";"file";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"

Since my antivirus found this I have had the other one come up on a regular basis. (A Youtube vid had this in it!!)

If I leave the laptop on overnight and I check it in the morning there are lots of lines "threat detected" etc

The lappy is set to do regular scans and I have also done manual ones. Sometimes it finds is and sometimes it doesn't!! Does this make sense??

OK, can you scheduled a boot time scan in your anti virus software at all? (what is it you use BTW)

patch697
4th December 2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks pauly, I've got a mouse at work I can bring home. It's not a major problem as it only happens very occasionally, but has happened twice today which is very unusual so that's why I asked the question. The problem has never occurred with the mouse. Thanks for your guidance mate.

Given the OS your running im tipping its getting pretty long in the tooth as far as computer are concerned mate & it might be time to thing about an upgrade as well.

patch697
4th December 2011, 12:30 AM
Pffft!! Try telling the boss that!! (its a work lappy).

hahahahahaha........... Right then......Give me he's number..........hahahahaha

snicko
4th December 2011, 12:38 AM
OK, can you scheduled a boot time scan in your anti virus software at all? (what is it you use BTW)

Sorry Patch not sure what a "boot time scan" is? Is this "Run on computer start up"?

I am using AVG version: 10.0.1152

At the moment I am running "Whole Computer Scan" and this takes ages (a couple of hours!!) to see if the "threat is detected" again.

Maybe fixing this "threat" will fix all the other problems the lappy has! ( I can only live in hope!! hahahaha)

patch697
4th December 2011, 12:44 AM
Sorry Patch not sure what a "boot time scan" is? Is this "Run on computer start up"?

I am using AVG version: 10.0.1152

At the moment I am running "Whole Computer Scan" and this takes ages (a couple of hours!!) to see if the "threat is detected" again.

Maybe fixing this "threat" will fix all the other problems the lappy has! ( I can only live in hope!! hahahaha)

Yes it is does run on start up but it needs to be scheduled to do it. If your running AVG freeware then I don't think it will do this but not 100% on that as I don't use it myself.

Best of luck sorting this out & im happy to help you if & ware I can.

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 09:52 AM
I plugged in a Logitech usb stock which allowed me to run a wireless keyboard and mouse.,,The laptop set up the software itself. I took the stock out and the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. Plug it back in and everything works. Turned the laptop off, pulled the stick out turned it back on and the keyboard works but the mouse wouldn't. Silly me disabled the mouse and now nothing works. Even tried control alt and delete, and nothing. Any ideas before it goes back to the shop in pieces. Rossco.PS...IT.ag still under warranty.

patch697
4th December 2011, 11:10 AM
Have you got or can you get hold of a USB mouse with a cord Ross?

It would be handy if we could at least see if we can get a mouse working for you in order to better navigate in a Windows environment.

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 01:14 PM
This thread should be renamed 2 Paul's help desk and put into the vendors thread for Paul *LMAO*

patch697
4th December 2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah his workrate has gone through the roof for sure. We might have new members signing up just for IT advice!

In that case maybe I should sign up to Paypal................hahahahahahahahaha

Nah..... Better still..... Its over to you Toddy..........hahahahahahaha

patch697
4th December 2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/13.jpg

?????....................

patch697
4th December 2011, 02:04 PM
You're not familiar with "The IT Crowd"? It's a hilarious British comedy show starring the people in the pic I posted. The two fellas are the IT gurus and are completely off the planet. The lady is their manager. You should check it out mate, you will crack up.

Just been watching some of it on Youtube..............................hahahahahahah ahahahahaha

Can you guess what my new catch phrase is going to be..................hahahahahahahahaha

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 02:18 PM
Nah..... Better still..... Its over to you Toddy..........hahahahahahaha

No passing the buck Paul, would love 2 help but I know nothing about fixing computers *L*

patch697
4th December 2011, 02:23 PM
No passing the buck Paul, would love 2 help but I know nothing about fixing computers *L*

Me neither mate, I've just been winging it this far....................hahahahahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
4th December 2011, 02:38 PM
I plugged in a Logitech usb stock which allowed me to run a wireless keyboard and mouse.,,The laptop set up the software itself. I took the stock out and the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. Plug it back in and everything works. Turned the laptop off, pulled the stick out turned it back on and the keyboard works but the mouse wouldn't. Silly me disabled the mouse and now nothing works. Even tried control alt and delete, and nothing. Any ideas before it goes back to the shop in pieces. Rossco.PS...IT.ag still under warranty.

Have you tried logging into windows under Safe Mode? This loads all basic drivers and you should be able to reset your user profile to enable the mouse/keyboard etc ..

Short of that, the computer should have come with a build disk - you should be able to boot off this and select specific driver installations to rectify the issue ...

And that be the end of my technical knowledge!!!

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:01 PM
Have you tried logging into windows under Safe Mode? This loads all basic drivers and you should be able to reset your user profile to enable the mouse/keyboard etc ..

Short of that, the computer should have come with a build disk - you should be able to boot off this and select specific driver installations to rectify the issue ...

And that be the end of my technical knowledge!!! The problem is the mouse won't move at all and the keyboard won't work, either. I've turned the lappy off, waited a bit then turned it back on, and still nothing. I don't have a mouse with a cord. Missus is taking it back next week. Now my new phone won't hold the call register. This will be the 4th new phone in about 15months and if they replace the lappy....the 3rd. It's a min 300k round trip! :1092::trink13::blowup:

patch697
4th December 2011, 04:04 PM
The problem is the mouse won't move at all and the keyboard won't work, either. I've turned the lappy off, waited a bit then turned it back on, and still nothing. I don't have a mouse with a cord. Missus is taking it back next week. Now my new phone won't hold the call register. This will be the 4th new phone in about 15months and if they replace the lappy....the 3rd. It's a min 300k round trip! :1092::trink13::blowup:

Ring me you bloody goose.

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:10 PM
Ring me you bloody goose. Goose here. The goose didn't answer. It went to message bank. Will try shortly. Lol

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 04:10 PM
Ring me you bloody goose.

He can't, his phone doesn't work!!! *L*

patch697
4th December 2011, 04:12 PM

You can only lead a horse to water Toddy..............lol

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:14 PM

While I'm on a roll, MY NEW PRINTER SHEET ITSELF, TOO. Tell me when I can lol....

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:19 PM
Paul. Yr phone goes straight to message bank. R u gossiping or is it my phone.

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 04:24 PM
Paul. Yr phone goes straight to message bank. R u gossiping or is it my phone.

Paul doesn't gossip, must be your phone, time for phone number 5 *L*

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:31 PM
Paul doesn't gossip, must be your phone, time for phone number 5 *L* you are lucky you live so far away! Lol

This is so frustrating.

gruntlet
4th December 2011, 04:33 PM
I've made a decision:-) I'll use what I have and shut my mouth until it'fixed

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 05:35 PM
you are lucky you live so far away! Lol

This is so frustrating.

mate I know how frustrating it can be. My touch pad and keyboard lock up all the time on my lappy, I can't really be bothered trying 2 fix it anymore, It freezes..........I restart it..............It freezes...........I restart it.............its a never ended cycle :)

wildgu6
6th December 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi guys, So what determines your download speed and can i speed it up, very frustrating trying to download files ?????

NissanGQ4.2
6th December 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi guys, So what determines your download speed and can i speed it up, very frustrating trying to download files ?????

lots of things Pete, do you run cable / ADSL or wireless????

SCADA
6th December 2011, 10:02 PM

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and press "begin test" (recommended server) wait for the test to end and tell us what your download speed is...you can post it up if click on "share results" and copy & paste the URL from the "forums" section. This is mine...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/2.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

wildgu6
6th December 2011, 10:06 PM
lots of things Pete, do you run cable / ADSL or wireless????

wireless mate, optus mini wi-fi modem

NissanGQ4.2
6th December 2011, 10:09 PM
Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and press "begin test" (recommended server) wait for the test to end and tell us what your download speed is...you can post it up if click on "share results" and copy & paste the URL from the "forums" section. This is mine...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/2.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I wish I had those speeds.......crappy useless wireless :(:(:(

NissanGQ4.2
6th December 2011, 10:12 PM
wireless mate, optus mini wi-fi modem

Throw it in the bin, wireless su!ks and maybe the only thing I can think of 2 gain better speed is an wireless booster if you have poor signal strength.

wildgu6
6th December 2011, 10:29 PM
OK SCADA, done cant share, note that bright.....hahaha

Readings:
Download speed..0.32mb/s
Upload speed..0.54mb/s
ping..94ms
Grade...D

isp optus internet
server..Canberra (-300ms)

very very poor...might be time to update

wildgu6
6th December 2011, 10:31 PM
by the way.....just took an hour to download 22mb file.....C%*#

NissanGQ4.2
6th December 2011, 10:39 PM
by the way.....just took an hour to download 22mb file.....C%*#

Welcome 2 my world, I would rather what 1 week and go 2 my olds and download a file that size in a few mins using his there cable connection than sit here 4 an hour or so 2 download the same size file :( so would love 2 go back 2 adsl :)

patch697
6th December 2011, 10:45 PM
Todd's right on the money here Pete, get rid of that crappy internet you have & get rid of your problems at the same time mate.

SCADA
6th December 2011, 10:48 PM
OK SCADA, done cant share, note that bright.....hahaha

Readings:
Download speed..0.32mb/s
Upload speed..0.54mb/s
ping..94ms
Grade...D

isp optus internet
server..Canberra (-300ms)

very very poor...might be time to update

Whoa! That's dialup speeds! Do you have a phone line into your house? My speed is nothing special...It's not even ADSL2.

rkinsey
6th December 2011, 11:19 PM
mate I know how frustrating it can be. My touch pad and keyboard lock up all the time on my lappy, I can't really be bothered trying 2 fix it anymore, It freezes..........I restart it..............It freezes...........I restart it.............its a never ended cycle :)

Hi Toddrhind,

Sounds like the operating system is locking up or at least the HDD may be having trouble.

I'm assuming you are running Windows XP or Win7? If so, run the following instructions:

1. Click on START and choose RUN
2. Type "CMD" (without the quotation marks) and press the enter key. This will open the command prompt.
3. At the flashing cursor, type "CHKDSK /R" (without the quotation marks) and press the enter key. It will say :

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

4. Press the "Y" key and then press the enter key.
5. Now restart the computer.

Check Disk will run when Windows restarts and will run 5 different checks on the hard drive. Here is a link to the explanation of what this program does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

In a nutshell, chkdsk /r will check the file system, partition tables, Operating system files etc. If it finds any inconsistencies and can repir them, it will.

This program can take a while to run depending on the size of the hard drive and what problems it encounters.

Once the program finishes the computer will continue to boot to Windows and you can log in as normal.

Straight after CHKDSK is completed, run "Disk Defragmenter" to tidy up the files on the HDD.

This is the first step in troubleshooting this type of system failure.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Rob

wildgu6
7th December 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, have phone line but young fella runs off that and it's upstairs, might look into running off his net with USB connection or upgrade mine.

DX grunt
7th December 2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, have phone line but young fella runs off that and it's upstairs, might look into running off his net with USB connection or upgrade mine.

If he 'arks up', just remind him who wears the pants and who pays ther bills in your house. lol

SCADA
7th December 2011, 09:18 AM

You should be able to hang off his network with either a Ethernet network connection, or a wireless setup. Does his modem have some spare ports on it or is it wireless? Is your PC a desktop or a laptop?

wildgu6
7th December 2011, 01:43 PM
You should be able to hang off his network with either a Ethernet network connection, or a wireless setup. Does his modem have some spare ports on it or is it wireless? Is your PC a desktop or a laptop?

I got a lappy mate and he has a spare wireless modem as he runs from phone line, he also has unlimited downloads, I only got 8 gig,
Sounds like a plan...hahaha

SCADA
7th December 2011, 01:57 PM
I got a lappy mate and he has a spare wireless modem as he runs from phone line, he also has unlimited downloads, I only got 8 gig,
Sounds like a plan...hahaha

What?! Why don't you run your laptop from his wireless router? Your laptop would have to be ancient not to have wireless built in...

wildgu6
7th December 2011, 05:44 PM
What?! Why don't you run your laptop from his wireless router? Your laptop would have to be ancient not to have wireless built in...

Like I said earlier mate, not to bright with $&@? Like this, please explain. Got a good little lappy, just don't understand all the tech talk

SCADA
7th December 2011, 07:10 PM
Like I said earlier mate, not to bright with $&@? Like this, please explain. Got a good little lappy, just don't understand all the tech talk

Can you get your son to set it up for you?

NissanGQ4.2
7th December 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Toddrhind,

Sounds like the operating system is locking up or at least the HDD may be having trouble.

Thanks for reminding me about that command Rob......... 3 and a bit hrs later and its finally finished, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Todd

rkinsey
8th December 2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for reminding me about that command Rob......... 3 and a bit hrs later and its finally finished, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Todd

Hi Todd,

Check the Event log under Application. Look for an event called "Winlogon" at the time the computer logged on after CHKDSK finished. This will give you a report on what it found and fixed.

Your specifically looking for "Bad Sectors" or "Bad Clusters" this means you have a faulty HDD and it should be replaced.

Cheers,

Rob

wildgu6
8th December 2011, 08:07 AM
If he 'arks up', just remind him who wears the pants and who pays ther bills in your house. lol

LMAO, will do mate, give him a smack in the ear to go with it and remind him of mums car too...haha

NissanGQ4.2
8th December 2011, 08:56 PM
The drop down tabs at the top of the forum page drop behind the top advertisement. Is this just me, or can this be changed?

what drop down tabs??? what advert??? you shouldn't have adverts being a forum sponsor..... You've lose me mate, time for another bourbon :)

DX grunt
8th December 2011, 08:59 PM
I stole the missus's lappy, that's why I'm back to DX grunt. Mine goes back to the shop tomorrow for, hopefully, warranty repairs. lol

I miss gruntlet. lol

NissanGQ4.2
8th December 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi Todd,

Check the Event log under Application. Look for an event called "Winlogon" at the time the computer logged on after CHKDSK finished. This will give you a report on what it found and fixed.

Your specifically looking for "Bad Sectors" or "Bad Clusters" this means you have a faulty HDD and it should be replaced.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, I'm pretty computer literate, but you have lost me, I'm running Win 7 and I can't find Winlogon anywhere. I did find a winlogon.exe under c:\windows\sytem 32 but nothing happens when I run it???

I hate computers!!!

NissanGQ4.2
8th December 2011, 09:36 PM
I still have a banner ad at the top (can this be gotten rid of as a forum sponsor?)

If you go to the top of the page youre looking at right now (don't change the page, just scroll up to the top) and click on Forum Actions button, well that drop down goes down behind the banner ad on my computer.

Can this be fixed?

Ask for your money back Plassy, I have no add and if I click on the forum actions button the drop down is fine................Think you where ripped off! *LMAO*

NissanGQ4.2
9th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Toddrhind,

I'm assuming you are running Windows XP or Win7? If so, run the following instructions:

1. Click on START and choose RUN
2. Type "CMD" (without the quotation marks) and press the enter key. This will open the command prompt.
3. At the flashing cursor, type "CHKDSK /R" (without the quotation marks) and press the enter key. It will say :

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

4. Press the "Y" key and then press the enter key.
5. Now restart the computer.

Check Disk will run when Windows restarts and will run 5 different checks on the hard drive. Here is a link to the explanation of what this program does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

In a nutshell, chkdsk /r will check the file system, partition tables, Operating system files etc. If it finds any inconsistencies and can repir them, it will.

This program can take a while to run depending on the size of the hard drive and what problems it encounters.

Once the program finishes the computer will continue to boot to Windows and you can log in as normal.

Straight after CHKDSK is completed, run "Disk Defragmenter" to tidy up the files on the HDD.

This is the first step in troubleshooting this type of system failure.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Rob

For anyone else that try's this, I found I couldn't run it in Win 7 64bit without restarting the computer and going into safe mode first.

Thanks again Rob, so far so good :)

AB
9th December 2011, 11:02 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of all kinds of knowledge on here...lol

patch697
9th December 2011, 11:42 PM
For anyone else that try's this, I found I couldn't run it in Win 7 64bit without restarting the computer and going into safe mode first.

Thanks again Rob, so far so good :)

You can schedule chkdsk on win7/64bit in a normal windows environment by right clicking on the drive in question going to properties, once in properties select the tools tab then click on the check now tab in the check error box (the top one) check both options boxes then press start. A message will appear asking you to schedule for next startup which you do & your done.

Chkdsk will take a while to complete its task & should reboot the system automatically when its done. If not it will prompt you ro reboot the system manually.

rkinsey
10th December 2011, 01:34 AM
Rob, I'm pretty computer literate, but you have lost me, I'm running Win 7 and I can't find Winlogon anywhere. I did find a winlogon.exe under c:\windows\sytem 32 but nothing happens when I run it???

I hate computers!!!

I hear ya brother.. and I'm an IT Administrator!!!! hahahaha

Find it in Event Viewer. Open the Start Menu and "Right" click on "Computer" and choose "Manage" from the menu.

rkinsey
10th December 2011, 01:39 AM
You can schedule chkdsk on win7/64bit in a normal windows environment by right clicking on the drive in question going to properties, once in properties select the tools tab then click on the check now tab in the check error box (the top one) check both options boxes then press start. A message will appear asking you to schedule for next startup which you do & your done.

Chkdsk will take a while to complete its task & should reboot the system automatically when its done. If not it will prompt you ro reboot the system manually.

Hi Patch,

you can run CHKDSK in Windows Safe or normal mode but this will only do a minimal disk and environment check. It wont repair any problems it encounters but it will report if it does find any problems.

When running diagnostics on any HDD no matter what OS, you should run it with the drive "not mounted" meaning an operating system hasnt been started from it.

You can only run CHKDSK /R in a "DOS" environment before the OS has loaded. Win 32 or 64 bit.

Cheers,

Rob

patch697
10th December 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Patch,

you can run CHKDSK in Windows Safe or normal mode but this will only do a minimal disk and environment check. It wont repair any problems it encounters but it will report if it does find any problems.

When running diagnostics on any HDD no matter what OS, you should run it with the drive "not mounted" meaning an operating system hasnt been started from it.

You can only run CHKDSK /R in a "DOS" environment before the OS has loaded. Win 32 or 64 bit.

Cheers,

Rob

Yep agreed & the method I mentioned gives you the option to schedule a boot time scan same as running chkdsk /R & /F from cmd.

NissanGQ4.2
10th December 2011, 03:44 PM
I hear ya brother.. and I'm an IT Administrator!!!! hahahaha

Find it in Event Viewer. Open the Start Menu and "Right" click on "Computer" and choose "Manage" from the menu.

Need an off sider???? I need a new job! Have no qualifications, but I am a hard worker *L*

Thanks mate, will have a look..........still locking up after running the chkdsk :( have a feeling its not the o/s freezing but more a touchpad / driver issue.

rkinsey
10th December 2011, 09:37 PM
Need an off sider???? I need a new job! Have no qualifications, but I am a hard worker *L*

Thanks mate, will have a look..........still locking up after running the chkdsk :( have a feeling its not the o/s freezing but more a touchpad / driver issue.

If thats the case and you have a USB mouse connected, You should be able to set the touchpad to automatically disable itself when a USB mouse is connected to the computer.

rkinsey
10th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Yep agreed & the method I mentioned gives you the option to schedule a boot time scan same as running chkdsk /R & /F from cmd.

I'm still an old fassioned type. I prefer using the command line I suppose.

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
10th December 2011, 10:17 PM
If thats the case and you have a USB mouse connected, You should be able to set the touchpad to automatically disable itself when a USB mouse is connected to the computer.

No usb mouse, always use the touchpad

NissanGQ4.2
10th December 2011, 10:42 PM
Errr........how do I uninstall a program I downloaded today but doesn't work?

XP: I think its. Control Panel then add / remove programs
Win 7: Control panel then program and features

rkinsey
11th December 2011, 12:48 AM
No usb mouse, always use the touchpad

When it "locks up", if you press the "Windows" key on the keyboard, does the Start Menu pop up?

or is the computer just "Frozen"?

NissanGQ4.2
11th December 2011, 07:17 PM
When it "locks up", if you press the "Windows" key on the keyboard, does the Start Menu pop up?

Pretty sure its frozen,I always just reboot, will test it out when it happens next.

Sometimes when I reboot it after it locks up it says it can't find the o/s sytem, but then I reboot again and its fine.

The other thing I have noticed is I use fingerprint scan for login, and sometimes that doesn't come up and I have 2 use password instead.

I just put it down 2 microsoft windows and bad programming *LMAO*

NissanGQ4.2
12th December 2011, 07:21 PM

Windows key does nothing at all.

briano
16th December 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi i cant change the profile picture,can any body help Cheers

patch697
16th December 2011, 11:13 AM
Hi i cant change the profile picture,can any body help Cheers

What have you tried to do so far?

nowoolies
16th December 2011, 11:15 AM
wot is computor lol

patch697
16th December 2011, 11:18 AM
wot is computor lol

Its that thing you kick, curse & swear at on a daily basis other then your dog.....................hahahahahahahaha

nowoolies
16th December 2011, 11:38 AM
Its that thing you kick, curse & swear at on a daily basis other then your dog.....................hahahahahahahaha

witch is furry one
both called fred

patch697
16th December 2011, 11:42 AM
witch is furry one
both called fred

hahahaha.......... I always said you had a limited imagination...............hahahahahahaha

belzi82
18th December 2011, 07:13 PM
Google freezes when I type "Let it snow"

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2011, 08:11 PM
just found this 4 google

Searching for "anagram" shows "Did you mean: nag a ram".
Searching for "do a barrel roll" or *"Z or R twice will rotate the results page a full 360 degrees. This is a reference to the Nintendo video game Star Fox 64.
Searching for "recursion" shows "Did you mean: recursion", which allows you to recursively run searches for recursion.
Searching for "ascii art" shows the Google logo as ASCII art.
Before and during the span of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, searching for various terms which Google has statistics related to, such as "world cup", "world cup usa vs england", or "world cup brazil", causes the result index at the bottom of the page to read as "Gooooooooooal!" instead of "Goooooooooogle".[48]
Searching for "tilt" or "askew" using a Webkit based browser (such as Google Chrome, Safari, or Android/iOS built-in browsers) or a recent version of Firefox (7+), makes the page 'lean' to the right a bit.
Searching for "let it snow" simulates snowfall and frost on the search results. After a while, the blue search button changes to "defrost" and clicking it removes the frost.
[edit]Google Maps/Earth

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2011, 08:14 PM
Google freezes when I type "Let it snow"

I can't get it 2 work.

Ok works,

just goes 2 show programmers just have way 2 much time on there hands

belzi82
18th December 2011, 08:14 PM
just found this 4 google

Searching for "anagram" shows "Did you mean: nag a ram".
Searching for "do a barrel roll" or *"Z or R twice will rotate the results page a full 360 degrees. This is a reference to the Nintendo video game Star Fox 64.
Searching for "recursion" shows "Did you mean: recursion", which allows you to recursively run searches for recursion.
Searching for "ascii art" shows the Google logo as ASCII art.
Before and during the span of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, searching for various terms which Google has statistics related to, such as "world cup", "world cup usa vs england", or "world cup brazil", causes the result index at the bottom of the page to read as "Gooooooooooal!" instead of "Goooooooooogle".[48]
Searching for "tilt" or "askew" using a Webkit based browser (such as Google Chrome, Safari, or Android/iOS built-in browsers) or a recent version of Firefox (7+), makes the page 'lean' to the right a bit.
Searching for "let it snow" simulates snowfall and frost on the search results. After a while, the blue search button changes to "defrost" and clicking it removes the frost.
[edit]Google Maps/Earth

Ummm I think I have done each and everyone of them several times!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2011, 08:20 PM
Ummm I think I have done each and everyone of them several times!!!!

Must be an anderson thing, my missus would do it over and over again as well. I only tried 2 see if it worked

belzi82
18th December 2011, 08:23 PM
Must be an anderson thing, my missus would do it over and over again as well. I only tried 2 see if it worked

How do you know I am an anderson???

NissanGQ4.2
18th December 2011, 08:32 PM
How do you know I am an anderson???

uummmmmm next question..........I know all Bel *L*

face ache of course

belzi82
18th December 2011, 08:36 PM

face ache of course

nah I think you are stalking me!!

belzi82
18th December 2011, 09:00 PM

face ache of course

sooooo who are you on Face ache??? hehehehe

NissanGQ4.2
19th December 2011, 04:36 PM
sooooo who are you on Face ache??? hehehehe

Thats easy Bel.........Todd Rhind *L*

Just sent you a friends request

belzi82
19th December 2011, 07:56 PM
Thats easy Bel.........Todd Rhind *L*

Just sent you a friends request

I was wandering who that person was!! hahaha - Have accepted!!
Thanks

chester
24th December 2011, 03:59 PM
I have a laptop with a wireless stick,sometimes when i log on to the net it comes up with a message saying thet windows has detected a windows address conflict another computor is using the same IP address as you.What the hell does that mean??????
When that comes up you close it and continue but this forum and facebook are really slow,any ideas???

patch697
24th December 2011, 05:40 PM
I have a laptop with a wireless stick,sometimes when i log on to the net it comes up with a message saying thet windows has detected a windows address conflict another computor is using the same IP address as you.What the hell does that mean??????
When that comes up you close it and continue but this forum and facebook are really slow,any ideas???

It generally means your service provider runs a shared IP network for it clients. A pretty common practice with a dongle type internet access.

2TROLLFAM
2nd January 2012, 03:36 PM
WINDOWS XP - HOME

Hey Guys & Girls .. Happy New Year !!! Hope you all had a good Xmas & New Year celebration. Been staying under the radar the last few weeks but that's a whole other story...

Need some help - my kids have a an EeePC that had windows xp on it when it was bought. My &*&&^^ exhusband recently had it at his place and updated the software to windows 7 BUT it's a freeking pirated copy and authorisation code (or whatever you call it) has expired.

I need to reinstall Windows XP on this bloody thing so that a) we can use it and b) it's legal. It has as sticker on the back with the authentic, original key code but I don't have a copy of the software?? A friend said to look on uTorrent which is all well and good cept I have NO IDEA what I'm looking for ...

Please help .... (playing damsel in distress here .. LOL) Thanks

2TROLLFAM
2nd January 2012, 03:37 PM
Oh and NO, asking that individual for a copy is out of the question !!

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 04:36 PM
WINDOWS XP - HOME

Hey Guys & Girls .. Happy New Year !!! Hope you all had a good Xmas & New Year celebration. Been staying under the radar the last few weeks but that's a whole other story...

Need some help - my kids have a an EeePC that had windows xp on it when it was bought. My &*&&^^ exhusband recently had it at his place and updated the software to windows 7 BUT it's a freeking pirated copy and authorisation code (or whatever you call it) has expired.

I need to reinstall Windows XP on this bloody thing so that a) we can use it and b) it's legal. It has as sticker on the back with the authentic, original key code but I don't have a copy of the software?? A friend said to look on uTorrent which is all well and good cept I have NO IDEA what I'm looking for ...

Please help .... (playing damsel in distress here .. LOL) Thanks

Your better off ringing Asustek ( I think they do the Eee PC ), and seeing if they have a recovery disk or Reinstallation discs.

U could get it of one of many u torrent sites, just search for winxp home, If you do chose this method be very wary of viruses, also I don't think your product key will get it "genuine" anyway, so even though you have a original key code, its still classed as an illegal copy.

Some of the other Computer guys probable have better knowledge about it than I do

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 04:43 PM
Try this, as long as you have the support dvd

http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=1718&t=1

DX grunt
4th January 2012, 06:30 PM
Everything on my lappy screen has doubled in appearance - print, pics everything.

I'm using the built in mousepad to navigate and it's so sensitive. I've done something and don't know how to fix it.

I'm using Windows 2010 home premiuim edition.

Rossco

Please help me? lol

Rossco

NissanGQ4.2
4th January 2012, 06:51 PM
Everything on my lappy screen has doubled in appearance - print, pics everything.

I'm using the built in mousepad to navigate and it's so sensitive. I've done something and don't know how to fix it.

I'm using Windows 2010 home premiuim edition.

Rossco

Please help me? lol

Rossco

Try holding down the CTRL key and pressing the - sign a few times....makes the text smaller......... if you hold CTRL and press the + sign it will make it bigger.......

Well does in Win7 anyway

Cheers

Rossco's freind

DX grunt
4th January 2012, 08:24 PM
Try holding down the CTRL key and pressing the - sign a few times....makes the text smaller......... if you hold CTRL and press the + sign it will make it bigger.......

Well does in Win7 anyway

Cheers

Rossco's freind

PM me your address for the carton!! You're a bluddy legend, Toddie!!!!!!

2TROLLFAM
7th January 2012, 04:31 AM
Thanx Guys I'll look into what you've suggested. Sorry for delayed reply :(

taslucas
7th January 2012, 04:49 PM
Ha usually when i ask my computer questions, i just yell at the screen!!!!!!!!! hahaha sorry but i couldnt resist

Maxhead
13th January 2012, 09:01 PM
Guys, my lappy is doing some strange/weird stuff. Keeps switching on/off, the screen blinks and wrong letters come out when I type. I also noticed it goes to wrong websites when I enter the web address. I have all this Patrol porn everywhere as well. Funny thing is it only happened when I got this screen saver from here.

Anyone got any ideas what is going on????

:):):):):):):):):):):):)

ozzyboy
13th January 2012, 09:10 PM
start, control panel, system and security, "restore your computer to an earlier time " = win

Wine_maker
13th January 2012, 09:33 PM
May be

http://internyfan.ru/content/photo/1272493941.jpg

to prevent your personal radiation?

But joking apart try to open site in internet cafe, mostly they have good condition of system and hardware if all will be good there try scan your system by antivirus program then reinstall your internet browser first, if it is not help try to restore the operation system as ozzyboy wrote.

patch697
13th January 2012, 11:08 PM
Guys, my lappy is doing some strange/weird stuff. Keeps switching on/off, the screen blinks and wrong letters come out when I type. I also noticed it goes to wrong websites when I enter the web address. I have all this Patrol porn everywhere as well. Funny thing is it only happened when I got this screen saver from here.

Yep know exactly what the problem is....................... Your an idiot................hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha

Only said in jest Fella ................... You know we love you here.....:)

patch697
13th January 2012, 11:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C2Ph8zwpNyI

DX grunt
14th January 2012, 10:52 AM

Lay off the turps before you turn your lappy on. lol hahaha

Maxhead
14th January 2012, 01:13 PM
Lay off the turps before you turn your lappy on. lol hahaha

Hey Rossco, you should know me better than that by now. You know I don't drink...LOL

growler2058
14th January 2012, 01:44 PM
Hey Rossco, you should know me better than that by now. You know I don't drink...LOL

What............water hahahahahhaha

NissanGQ4.2
15th January 2012, 06:29 PM
how the fn hell do I take my Toshiba Qosmio X500 Lappy apart???? Have taken all screws from back and nothin. About 2 hit i with the angle grinder and sledge hammer.

aarrrrggggghhhhhhhh i need a bourbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HippoNZ
15th January 2012, 06:31 PM
how the fn hell do I take my Toshiba Qosmio X500 Lappy apart???? Have taken all screws from back and nothin. About 2 hit i with the angle grinder and sledge hammer.

aarrrrggggghhhhhhhh i need a bourbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you trying to get at mate?

NissanGQ4.2
15th January 2012, 06:55 PM
A few things,

1, most importantly: there is something ( more so on boot up ) that sounds like a fan spinning and hitting something else.
2, want 2 clean he fan vents and give it a good clean in general.

looking around on the net now, trying o find out how 2 destroy :)

HippoNZ
15th January 2012, 06:59 PM
If you have undone all the screws on the base, open the laptop lid and on the keyboard some laptops have little clip slots that run along the top, I think there are 4 or so. slide them backwards and the keyboard should lift out giving you access to the inside. This may not be the case on your model though, just food for thought.

NissanGQ4.2
15th January 2012, 07:35 PM
If you have undone all the screws on the base, open the laptop lid and on the keyboard some laptops have little clip slots that run along the top, I think there are 4 or so. slide them backwards and the keyboard should lift out giving you access to the inside. This may not be the case on your model though, just food for thought.

its grinder time :)

HippoNZ
15th January 2012, 07:38 PM
haha you sound like some of the mechanics I deal with who get frustrated with their laptops in the field, I can honestly say some of them have backed over them with a digger from time to time lmao

NissanGQ4.2
15th January 2012, 07:42 PM
haha you sound like some of the mechanics I deal with who get frustrated with their laptops in the field, I can honestly say some of them have backed over them with a digger from time to time lmao

normally I would run over it with the 4b, buts its pouring down with rain at the moment and I'm not in the mood 2 get wet *L*

I'll get there eventually :)

Wine_maker
15th January 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi mate!
Please be careful with your laptop.
I'm ex IT worker so I saw a lot cases of vandalism over laptops, printers, PC and etc.
Please, in case if you want to DIY your computer, ask google first for disassemble manuals.
For your laptop please use this http://tim.id.au/laptops/toshiba/qosmio%20x500.pdf

Wine_maker
15th January 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm sure when you first time try to fix something in your Patrol you read manual first ))

NissanGQ4.2
16th January 2012, 07:46 PM
I'm sure when you first time try to fix something in your Patrol you read manual first ))

nah, I smash, crash, bash, blowup, destroy first...... then if hat doesn't work.......read manual :)

Wine_maker
16th January 2012, 10:58 PM
Everyone come through this education method ))

wildgu6
17th January 2012, 07:39 PM
anyone now how the screen saver ended ?? Cant find the thread, did it end up on the scrap heap or still a WIP.
Still enjoying the original with no issues....

growler2058
17th January 2012, 08:01 PM
Think it copped a nasty std virus and died a nasty death, gotta wear protection :-)

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2012, 08:05 PM
anyone now how the screen saver ended ?? Cant find the thread, did it end up on the scrap heap or still a WIP.
Still enjoying the original with no issues....

yeh it died a nasty death, I advise you 2 remove it, you may think you have know issues until one day you find your bank account empty.

I don't have that problem as they can't steal whats not there *L*

wildgu6
17th January 2012, 08:12 PM
you may think you have know issues until one day you find your bank account empty.

I don't have that problem as they can't steal whats not there *L*

X2 mate, but thanks for the advice, Ok next Q Toddsta, why do i have to keep logging in when i leave the lappy sitting idle for toooooo long ???

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2012, 08:30 PM
X2 mate, but thanks for the advice, Ok next Q Toddsta, why do i have to keep logging in when i leave the lappy sitting idle for toooooo long ???

This is on your lappy with wireless connection????

wildgu6
17th January 2012, 08:42 PM
Yer mate, all comp Qs are related to the lappy, and yes wireless connection,

NissanGQ4.2
17th January 2012, 08:54 PM
when you say you have 2 log back on after to long idle,

does it always happen or only sometimes?

Is the browser still open or have you closed it down?

Are you using Tappa Talk at any period while not on lappy?

wildgu6
17th January 2012, 10:57 PM
when you say you have 2 log back on after to long idle,

does it always happen or only sometimes?

Is the browser still open or have you closed it down?

Are you using Tappa Talk at any period while not on lappy?

Happens all the time, browser is still open and use tappa talk only sometimes while on lappy, but tappa talk dosnt log off ever unless i log it off which i dont.

NissanGQ4.2
18th January 2012, 10:16 PM
Happens all the time, browser is still open and use tappa talk only sometimes while on lappy, but tappa talk dosnt log off ever unless i log it off which i dont.

not 2 sure mate, will have a thinkie on the weekend with a bourbon in hand :)

wildgu6
18th January 2012, 11:13 PM
not 2 sure mate, will have a thinkie on the weekend with a bourbon in hand :)

no sweat mate, no biggy.. a few bourbs will flood the mind with ideas.....hahahahah

Steve cooper
21st January 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone,

A question for all the IT gurus out there..........

My work laptop is a Durabook S15S, running vista business SP2.

Latley it has become real slow to boot and execute programs, and im worried its gona die soon...

I need a serial port for work, i use some outdated but essential automotive based programs, tryed USB/serial converters but no real luck with them. Cant seem to buy a laptop with a serial port anymore other than this one, at $3000 id like to ressurect this one if possible.

So, i would like to try and do a complete system restore, wipe the hard drive and start agian.
Im pretty sure i have all the CD's that came with it somewhere, but is it possible to create a mirror image of my harddrive, wipe it and restore it agian?
Im sort of tech savvy, computer stuff is usualy no problem for me, but i tryed to restore my wifes asus laptop when it died from a backup made through windows vista and was unsuccessfull, although a complete wipe fixed hers but we lost everything on it.

I have backed up all my important data incase this thing dies,, but would like to retain all my programs in their current config and not have to relicence them.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance guys

Steve

NissanGQ4.2
21st January 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi everyone,

A question for all the IT gurus out there..........

My work laptop is a Durabook S15S, running vista business SP2.

Latley it has become real slow to boot and execute programs, and im worried its gona die soon...

I need a serial port for work, i use some outdated but essential automotive based programs, tryed USB/serial converters but no real luck with them. Cant seem to buy a laptop with a serial port anymore other than this one, at $3000 id like to ressurect this one if possible.

So, i would like to try and do a complete system restore, wipe the hard drive and start agian.
Im pretty sure i have all the CD's that came with it somewhere, but is it possible to create a mirror image of my harddrive, wipe it and restore it agian?
Im sort of tech savvy, computer stuff is usualy no problem for me, but i tryed to restore my wifes asus laptop when it died from a backup made through windows vista and was unsuccessfull, although a complete wipe fixed hers but we lost everything on it.

I have backed up all my important data incase this thing dies,, but would like to retain all my programs in their current config and not have to relicence them.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance guys

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm not a tech guru, but if you create an mirror image, I believe you just copy your problems across.

Steve cooper
22nd January 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Steve, I'm not a tech guru, but if you create an mirror image, I believe you just copy your problems across.

Yep, was thinking along the same lines..........................

Another interesting note is i cant do a disc defrag, i left it on for 2 days with the defrag running and it wouldnt move past 8%........
Im not above getting a pro to do this, but dont want to flog a dead horse so to speak.......

HippoNZ
22nd January 2012, 08:22 AM
Depending on the age of the PC you could always do a defrag on the HDD. Also when the PC is running check what's using all the resources in task manager. If a lot of memory is in use either get more ram or increase the page file size. You can always image/ghost your hdd but make sure you don't do a sector by sector copy, that way you can reformat the drive and chuck the image back on it and it will be the closest thing to a rebuild you will get without actually starting from scratch. Also check to see if you have any background programs that are using a fair amount of CPU, if there are google them and see if you can remove them without any side effects. If it turns out to be the OS at fault it can be hard to determine whats causing it to run slow and is generally just easier to wipe and reload. As for the USB/serial, I know the problem your having as we had the same issue at work but try experiencing with different drivers and hopefully you should find one that will do the trick but in my experience they can be rather flackey to work with.

Steve cooper
22nd January 2012, 12:40 PM
Hipponz, thanks for that I'll check the processes and go from there.

Is there a disk defrag program I can use instead of using windows, I tried a defrag again overnite and no go....

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2012, 12:50 PM
Yep, was thinking along the same lines..........................

Another interesting note is i cant do a disc defrag, i left it on for 2 days with the defrag running and it wouldnt move past 8%........
Im not above getting a pro to do this, but dont want to flog a dead horse so to speak.......

That's windows for you, I have had that same issue with the windows defrag, have a look for a 3rd party defrag program much better in my opinion , also turn any screen saver off

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2012, 12:54 PM
Hipponz, thanks for that I'll check the processes and go from there.

Is there a disk defrag program I can use instead of using windows, I tried a defrag again overnite and no go....

yes there are various 3rd party disk defrag programs out there, just do a search on the net. Some are free but most you will need to purchase.

Maxhead
24th January 2012, 08:18 PM
Hey Boys and Girls, I have managed to catch this virus which is a bit strange. If I Google something and click on the link it takes me to a very different web site....its pretty funny. So I can't get on the site I click on but can get there if I have a favourites/ bookmark link to it. Pretty weird . I couldn't be stuffed re imaging the laptop but might have too...any one know where it;s hiding?

I have deleted a few suss files but can't find where this bugger is

EDIT: Oh yeah by the way this is a friendly virus.....Most of the websites are advertising sites which seem to be user friendly

NissanGQ4.2
24th January 2012, 08:55 PM
Hey Boys and Girls, I have managed to catch this virus which is a bit strange. If I Google something and click on the link it takes me to a very different web site....its pretty funny. So I can't get on the site I click on but can get there if I have a favourites/ bookmark link to it. Pretty weird . I couldn't be stuffed re imaging the laptop but might have too...any one know where it;s hiding?

EDIT: Oh yeah by the way this is a friendly virus.....Most of the websites are advertising sites which seem to be user friendly

Does your anti virus program pick up the virus and give you the option 2 remove it?
Do you run a Anti malware program as well?

You probable caught it from the screensaver virus!!!!

Maxhead
24th January 2012, 09:05 PM
Does your anti virus program pick up the virus and give you the option 2 remove it?
Do you run a Anti malware program as well?

You probable caught it from the screensaver virus!!!!

Yes, both of my anti virus programs pick it up and ask if I want to remove it. Of course I chose Yes, but its still there.

I dont think its the screen saver virus as I haver been on a lot of Porn sites since the Missus has been away >>LOLOLOLOL

Thanks Todd

NissanGQ4.2
24th January 2012, 10:02 PM
Yes, both of my anti virus programs pick it up and ask if I want to remove it. Of course I chose Yes, but its still there.

I dont think its the screen saver virus as I haver been on a lot of Porn sites since the Missus has been away >>LOLOLOLOL

Thanks Todd

Gotta love porn viruses *LMAO*

Reboot Windows in safe mode then run your anti virus software..... say yes to removal, reboot system, then run anti virus again in normal mode.
See if its still there then.

rusty_nail
24th January 2012, 10:10 PM
x2 on that one mate, safe mode will cure all but the most stubborn viruses

wildgu6
7th February 2012, 10:54 PM
Hey Toddsta, LMAO found a way to tap in to the youngins net......hahahahahaha. Use mine for surfin till plan expires, and his for downloading for ever......hahahahahaha
Thanks for your attempts buddy, they did help me get in...

Turtle_au
9th February 2012, 11:59 AM
Wondering if anyone else has come across this problem - it happenned to 2 of the PC's at home within 1 day of each other, both running XP .

can't remember the exact filename but it was a .dll required for explorer ( not internet explorer but the desktop )
pc's would boot up give an error window that the file was missing and a reinstall might fix this. Clear the message and I was left with the wallpaper and nothing else, no icons, no taskbars etc.
Tried to boot in safe mode and copy the file via a usb from a clean pc, could see the file on the usb, but access denied to copy.
Had to do a repair (not recovery) and fixed the problem - bonus it kept all the settings, programs etc.

wildgu6
9th February 2012, 12:07 PM
Had the same prob' back in Oct', lost everything as you did, then ran a repair and all was back, don't know the cause but was relieved to get all back. Was running vista by the way. Got rid of vista now running win7 ultimate and no issues.(yet)....hahaha

Turtle_au
9th February 2012, 02:49 PM
Had the same prob' back in Oct', lost everything as you did, then ran a repair and all was back, don't know the cause but was relieved to get all back. Was running vista by the way. Got rid of vista now running win7 ultimate and no issues.(yet)....hahaha

Refused to use vista, (I prefer ubuntu - windows only if necessary) though wife's PC has Win 7 Ultimate - had 1 issue with a virus. Everything started dissappearing, - icons,documents,programs.
Nothing in trash folder, but disk at same usage. Virus had started changing file attributes to hidden.
Couldn't figure out how to do a global attribute change so had to go into each folder and sub folder and change them back. Took bloody hours.
Traced virus back to a "FED X" hoax email that wife mistakenly opened.

HippoNZ
9th February 2012, 03:29 PM

Boss they call this a "hijack" virus. you havnt got a random tool bar in your browser showing by any chance? If your using antivirus and it has picked it up then if your running IE got to tool --> advanced and reset to default settings. close and reopen IE. If that doesnt work try running a tool called hijack this. It will tell you if anything is out of the ordinary. thirdly there are some settings under runonce in the registry but I wont bother explaining that if the above works. There's also a nifty program called adaware which is free and scans and picks up most virus objects out there.

NissanGQ4.2
9th February 2012, 05:37 PM
Hey Toddsta, LMAO found a way to tap in to the youngins net......hahahahahaha. Use mine for surfin till plan expires, and his for downloading for ever......hahahahahaha
Thanks for your attempts buddy, they did help me get in...

I deny all knowledge of any attempts in helping you hack your sons net connection. It was not me, I wouldn't even dream of doing anything like :)

Glad you some how ( without my help ) got your net problems sorted :).

P.s: Can you teach me how 2 do it please???

taslucas
9th February 2012, 07:07 PM
Refused to use vista, (I prefer ubuntu - windows only if necessary) though wife's PC has Win 7 Ultimate - had 1 issue with a virus. Everything started dissappearing, - icons,documents,programs.
Nothing in trash folder, but disk at same usage. Virus had started changing file attributes to hidden.
Couldn't figure out how to do a global attribute change so had to go into each folder and sub folder and change them back. Took bloody hours.
Traced virus back to a "FED X" hoax email that wife mistakenly opened.

I use windows 7 and for protection I use "Microsoft security essentials"
And have had no viruses (yet). I would recommend this security. It's free from the Microsoft site (if you have a licenced version of windows7) and has free regular updates

Turtle_au
9th February 2012, 11:50 PM
And have had no viruses (yet). I would recommend this security. It's free from the Microsoft site (if you have a licenced version of windows7) and has free regular updates

I use AVG Anti-Virus Free, Zonealarm Free, Adaware and Spybot. Aways updated. All pro0grams are free.
Most viruses are targetted at windows. Ubuntu usually immune. Also ubuntu is free.
hmm... common theme - I like free

rusty_nail
10th February 2012, 01:00 AM
I use AVG Anti-Virus Free, Zonealarm Free, Adaware and Spybot. Aways updated. All pro0grams are free.
Most viruses are targetted at windows. Ubuntu usually immune. Also ubuntu is free.
Yeah Ubuntu is free and it's a great alternative to the regular windows and mac os alternatives. However it does come with sacrifices such as a wayy smaller product base and most of the products that are available are just less capable or more dumbed down. If your just wanting to sort the web, Ubuntu, red hat, and all those other Linux based OS's are a perfectly good option, but for anything more like multimedia editing, or any Complex tasks stick to windows (or mac).

Oh and the best antivirus available on the market is... Self control. Viruses don't just magically jump onto your computer, it's from clicking silly links. So in the future be less trigger happy and think of it like 4bing, sometimes you wanna go flat out, but unfortunately when your not sure what your heading into, you just need to take it slow and safely, and youll always come out ok!

Cheers

Nic

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2012, 07:08 AM

hahahahahha, If Microsoft built a better OS there would be now need for virus protection software, you actually trust something from Microsoft 2 protect your computer

taslucas
10th February 2012, 07:51 AM
hahahahahha, If Microsoft built a better OS there would be now need for virus protection software, you actually trust something from Microsoft 2 protect your computer

Hey, i didnt get a virus from a certain screen saver that was giving other people trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha
What OS do you use?
I agree with rusty above:
Windows has the biggest product base, also heaps of things plug in seamlessly (phone, camera, etc)
And the best antivirus is self control.

Did have AVG on my girlfriends laptop all up to date.......Got about 20 viruses: trojans,worms etc etc all in one hit. Had to do a complete re-install (ended up putting win7 on).

wildgu6
10th February 2012, 08:21 AM
I use to use AVG as recommended to me and thought was pretty good but still got the occasional bug getting in, Now running Avast anti virus as recommended by a TOP comp' geek...hahaha sorry Pauly but anyway have not a one prob to date. It's also free for the basic program.

As for hacking the youngins net Toddsta I followed all your prompts mate, so 90% of the blame must lye with you...hahaha the only thing different I did, when it ask for password there is a button on the wi fi modem that you can press to give you temp access while setting up connection, once it's set up your in when ever you want...hahaha

wildgu6
10th February 2012, 08:27 AM
Oh and the infamous screen saver, even though I was advised to delete it, I haven't and have no dramas running it. Love it
(must add it is the original screen saver) had a few comments on it too
Where did you get that, there's some top rigs there etc. the fella that did it did a top job

taslucas
10th February 2012, 08:54 AM
How many versions of the screensaver is there? Not sure which one I have then. It works fine and looks cooool :-)

wildgu6
10th February 2012, 11:07 AM
How many versions of the screensaver is there? Not sure which one I have then. It works fine and looks cooool :-)

There were 2 but the extension went viral and contaminated both, as I didn't try to download the 2nd I'm still running 1st with no bugs. X2 looks cooool and works a treat
If your the same you would have the original, coz there is no more link to download either.

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2012, 11:18 AM
Hey, i didnt get a virus from a certain screen saver that was giving other people trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha
What OS do you use?
I agree with rusty above:
Windows has the biggest product base, also heaps of things plug in seamlessly (phone, camera, etc)
And the best antivirus is self control.

Did have AVG on my girlfriends laptop all up to date.......Got about 20 viruses: trojans,worms etc etc all in one hit. Had to do a complete re-install (ended up putting win7 on).

My virus program never reported that the screen saver had a virus in it.

I use WIN7 Home Premium X64

Yes the best antivirus is self control, but I also don't believe in paying the prices they want for certain software, so i run that risk. Plus I love P!rn and them sites are STD infected :)

taslucas
10th February 2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah I keep everything backed up on external hd. Just a matter of reinstalling if computer dies.

taslucas
21st February 2012, 12:35 PM
I cant get onto the forum with tappa talk since about 7 pm last night. The internet is working on my phone......u am typing this with the normal browser. I've tried tappa every half hour or so and no luck. Anyone else having trouble?

growler2058
21st February 2012, 01:08 PM
Not right now but have in the past I had to uninstall the app the reinstall and all was good again

AB
21st February 2012, 01:23 PM
I cant get onto the forum with tappa talk since about 7 pm last night. The internet is working on my phone......u am typing this with the normal browser. I've tried tappa every half hour or so and no luck. Anyone else having trouble?

Are you tappering using 3G or wireless to your router.

I have huge issues at home connecting to the wireless and it always drops out.

taslucas
21st February 2012, 01:24 PM
Just says loading and never quite gets there!

taslucas
21st February 2012, 01:26 PM
Are you tappering using 3G or wireless to your router.

I have huge issues at home connecting to the wireless and it always drops out.

Nah just straight off my phone with 3g

wildgu6
21st February 2012, 01:41 PM

Lucas mate, had that issue before with crappa talk, simple, your obviously on some sort of smart arse phone. Close the crappa app and close all the other apps you have been using,, you have to many apps open running in the background, on iPhone they are down the bottom, double click the home button and close them all by pressing on one of them till they show - on them and close them all by pressing the -
Re-open crappa talk, it will load and dissapear then re-open again and all good. If you understand all that. Cheers mate

oncedisturbed
21st February 2012, 02:01 PM
Had no issues with tap talk at all

wildgu6
21st February 2012, 03:06 PM
Had no issues with tap talk at all

I think your IP has a lot to do with it as well, my tappa crappa gets hammered as well as all other apps, too many open is no good for loading speeds.

taslucas
21st February 2012, 03:10 PM
I don't have any apps running! Well, about 2. And have not bought or used any since tappa stopped. I'll try to reinstall tappa when I get a chance. Cheers for the help:-)

wildgu6
21st February 2012, 03:47 PM
I don't have any apps running! Well, about 2. And have not bought or used any since tappa stopped. I'll try to reinstall tappa when I get a chance. Cheers for the help:-)

Bugga, never had to reinstall any app unless I deleted it. Have you tried just rebooting the phone,

taslucas
21st February 2012, 03:54 PM
Just reinstalled tappa, all seems to be working now.

Sent from my LT18a using Tapatalk

Silver
1st March 2012, 01:04 AM
G'day

Seems there is some unrest about google's privacy policy, so I thought I'd look for alternatives. duckduckgo seemed interesting, so I've gone for that, and while at it, decided to look for alternatives to IE 9.

I went for Mo2illa Firefox.

Still learning how to use both and my first question is how to make duckduckgo the default search engine rather than......................google, which somehow is currently the default

Thanks

Rick

oncedisturbed
1st March 2012, 02:17 AM
got to internet options and type in duckduckgo.com replacing the google web name and save it

Silver
1st March 2012, 04:48 AM
got to internet options and type in duckduckgo.com replacing the google web name and save it

Thanks oncedisturbed. I couldn't initially recognise a tool bar on Firefox - too long indoctrinated by Microsoft I guess :-) I can't see anything that looks like internet options.

Armed with your advice, I went looking again, and found something in the 'Add Ons' section, that let me add duckduckgo in a version called SSL to the Search function - which in turn is starting to give me at least one option up where the tool bar would be in IE etc - it added duckduckgo to the foot of half a do2en other search options. After I selected the SSL version, the system decided to show me a couple of other versions of duckduckgo including HTML from memory...anyway I'll persist as it is.

I'll keep looking for 'internet options' as well.

Thanks!

oncedisturbed
1st March 2012, 06:58 AM
No probs, SSL is the secure server licence. Go to the "Tools" tab at the top of the internet page and select it, then scroll down to the bottom of the drop down menu and select "Internet Options". The first tab is "General" on that page there is an option to type in your "Homepage". type in www.duckduckgo.com or whatever you want you're homepage to be and select "Apply" at the bottom and it's all done :)

You can also go to the "favourites" tab and select organise and create quick icons on the address bar as well to save you going all through your saved favourites, that way you have the most used in 1 spot

T0nka
14th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Im loving the fact the forum has gone to tapatalk

AB
14th March 2012, 12:45 PM
May as well post this here....Careful when updating your bloody Apple software on the computer for the Iphone.

I just updated it and restored a back up which was last done in September last year.

I lost hundreds of photos, videos, contacts, apps....EVERYTHING!!!!!

taslucas
14th March 2012, 12:53 PM
I hate crapple.....you just gave me one more reason!
Sorry it had to be at your loss.
Ps. I download photos off my phone monthly. It's quick and easy on the Sony Ericsson. Probably a pain in the neck to do on an eyephone

Lucas

T0nka
14th March 2012, 01:25 PM
Dear oh dear ab, why arent you using icloud?

AB
14th March 2012, 01:42 PM
Dear oh dear ab, why arent you using icloud?
I know I know...lol....I didn't even know about Icloud until it says wheres your Icloud...LMAO

AB
15th March 2012, 09:13 PM
I want to take the lappy to Loveday and was wondering if anyone knows this...

Can I just plug the Iphone into the lap top and turn the hotspot button on the phone to use the phone as a modem or do I actually need to install Apple Itunes software and all that jazz???

Is it just a plug and play thing???

NissanGQ4.2
15th March 2012, 09:22 PM

Can I just plug the Iphone into the lap top and turn the hotspot button on the phone to use the phone as a modem or do I actually need to install Apple Itunes software and all that jazz???

Never used an Iphone before so can't help mate, but you shouldn't need 2 install Itunes crap just 2 run it as a modem.

And nothing is "Plug and Play".

Plug it in and see what happens

P.S: Back up your phone first before trying *LMAO*

Maxhead
15th March 2012, 09:25 PM

With USB you'll need iTunes...bloody apple. But if your laptop has wi-fi than just connect via wireless and you're done.

EDIT: you can also use bluetooth to connect

taslucas
15th March 2012, 09:36 PM

Once iTunes has been installed, any cd you put into your computer will be ripped into iTunes format and then can only be played on an apple device.

tappa slappn about

growler2058
20th March 2012, 08:59 PM
What does this mean it just came up when i clicked on Belz post in the hard case thread

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@nissanpatrol.com.au and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Server at www.nissanpatrol.com.au Port 80

AB
20th March 2012, 09:05 PM
Occasionally we might get this....very occasionally.

We're going to hit almost 100,000 visitors this month which means we have around 3,300 people each day on the forum...Sometimes we may have say 2000 people all clicking buttons at once which can slow up the forum or even give an error as above.

We're on the super platnium plan....lol....We are also on a dedicated server but I'm guessing we might even need a bigger server these days!

AB
20th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Ok, I have a tricky one and not sure if anyone here knows this stuff but I have an animation which was made in a program that I don't know.

The exported file is .FLV....Can you edit an FLV file???????????????

It has loop and needs adjusting thats all...

growler2058
20th March 2012, 09:08 PM
No dramas mate it cleared straight away when i went back a page. Just was a full page error thing i thought id pushed something BAAAAAAAADDDD

NissanGQ4.2
20th March 2012, 09:16 PM
I don't know anything but AVS Video Editor, will edit FLV files, Just checked on mine and works

http://www.avs4you.com

Cheers

Toddie

NissanGQ4.2
20th March 2012, 09:18 PM
What does this mean it just came up when i clicked on Belz post in the hard case thread

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@nissanpatrol.com.au and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Server at www.nissanpatrol.com.au Port 80

Translated that just means send Andy an abusive email *LMAO*

growler2058
20th March 2012, 09:20 PM
Translated that just means send Andy an abusive email *LMAO*

Cheers have done :-)

AB
21st March 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know anything but AVS Video Editor, will edit FLV files, Just checked on mine and works

http://www.avs4you.com

Cheers

Toddie

Thanks mate, will check it out now.

oncedisturbed
21st March 2012, 12:24 PM
AB, you can check out koyote soft as well, video convertors, music etc - all real and legit from there site

rusty_nail
21st March 2012, 01:32 PM

sorry for the late reply, but you should check that it works before you bring all your gear along to do this, some network providers (like mine) block this function on iphone. the internet tethering funtion doesnt even display on my iphone. but if it comes up its relatively simple, just turn it on and you have you very own mobile wifi network.

growler2058
12th April 2012, 01:23 AM
Whys this happening when i click the thankyou button

Maxhead
12th April 2012, 08:42 AM

Mate, you need 25 posts to do that. jump into the intro section and say hello to a few members....Oh shi1t growlers it's you WTF. Probably too many posts of dribble unfortunately...LOLOL

Bob
12th April 2012, 09:09 AM

It is probably because of your Avatar

RAFLMAO

growler2058
14th April 2012, 02:17 PM

Its still happening

rusty_nail
14th April 2012, 02:54 PM
Its still happening

Hey mate, the only thing I can suggest is you may have a cookie issue. Try logging out then clearing your cache, your history, and everything else that the browser lets you clear. Also what browser r u using? try using the forum with Firefox or chrome, I Prefer Firefox, I find it's most stable and I never have problems with it?

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2012, 04:20 PM

because it wasn't on one of my post, if you click "thank you" on one of my post you will not get that problem *L*

growler2058
14th April 2012, 04:27 PM
because it wasn't on one of my post, if you click "thank you" on one of my post you will not get that problem *l*

wrong!!!!!!!

rusty_nail
14th April 2012, 04:54 PM
wrong!!!!!!!

Did you try my suggestion? I'm Pretty sure it will work

growler2058
14th April 2012, 05:08 PM
Did you try my suggestion? I'm Pretty sure it will work

Yeah mate gave it a crack but nup, got a coupla strange things happenin

rusty_nail
14th April 2012, 05:38 PM
What browser r u using? As with all problems information is the key to sOlving it. The problems is likely at your end, it's only localized to you, so I don't think there will be anything AB and the MODS will be able to do for you. On the flip side you could just be an ungrateful b!stard and not thank anyone =P

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2012, 06:11 PM
What browser r u using?

Don't really think it matters.

As with all problems information is the key to sOlving it. Agree

The problems is likely at your end, it's only localized to you, so I don't think there will be anything AB and the MODS will be able to do for you.

There are other members getting similar issues......needing 2 log back into the site after a period of inactivity....etc..... so I don't think its localized 2 one member

On the flip side you could just be an ungrateful b!stard and not thank anyone =P

Thank who???????, nobody is listening 2 him anyway *LMAO*

growler2058
14th April 2012, 07:25 PM
Don't really think it matters.

Agree

There are other members getting similar issues......needing 2 log back into the site after a period of inactivity....etc..... so I don't think its localized 2 one member

Thank who???????, nobody is listening 2 him anyway *LMAO*

Ouch there goes my feelings again hahahahahahaha

Tappin N Crappin

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2012, 07:33 PM
Ouch there goes my feelings again hahahahahahaha

Tappin N Crappin

uuummmm, did you say something mate????? sorry wasn't listening again *LMAO*

hey shouldn't you be able 2 ban me now??? whats going on?

growler2058
14th April 2012, 07:50 PM
uuummmm, did you say something mate????? sorry wasn't listening again *LMAO*

hey shouldn't you be able 2 ban me now??? whats going on?

Soon very soon mate so watch out moderarterus growl has fire at his fingertips oh no its that damn chilli juice hahahaha

growler2058
14th April 2012, 07:57 PM
ow ow ow i just did a thanks and it took me to the top of the page

rusty_nail
14th April 2012, 08:04 PM
haha sorry i wasnt aware that this problem was being had by other people.

Richo460
15th May 2012, 07:18 AM
ok i'm on a work computer and alot of stuff is blocked (forums are supposed to be blocked but lucky this one isn't) but some pics in posts show up and alot don't. For example when i try to look at a thread where everyone posts pics, maybe half will show and the other half i get nothing, refreshing does bugger all and i can't do much with settings as i don't have access. any ideas?

AB
15th May 2012, 08:35 AM
ok i'm on a work computer and alot of stuff is blocked (forums are supposed to be blocked but lucky this one isn't) but some pics in posts show up and alot don't. For example when i try to look at a thread where everyone posts pics, maybe half will show and the other half i get nothing, refreshing does bugger all and i can't do much with settings as i don't have access. any ideas?

That's a strange one...Do you see a broken picture symbol or you just don't see a picture at all knowing a picture should be in that particular post?

Clunk
15th May 2012, 09:40 AM

Could be due to a lot of the photos being linked from photobucket. Maybe the ones you can see have been uploaded straight onto the forum.

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Richo460
15th May 2012, 12:13 PM
yeah there is just nothing where there should be a pic. Could be something to do with photbucket as alot of stuff is blocked from me, i can't get any streaming media, social networking etc etc. I am just really happy that the forum works.

Anyway if anyone is interested when i go to the rolled, bogged and swamped thread i can't see the pics from "four play", but i can from "ben-e-boy". the pic from "04OFF" doesn't load but i can see the square where it should be (refreshing didn't work). I can see the rest of the pics on page 1. On page 2 the i am assuming "bloodyaussie" posted pics but i just get blank space (nothing when i try to highlight). Same thing from "macca" on page 3. Maybe they are classed as streaming media and then blocked by my server, not too sure.

AB
15th May 2012, 12:27 PM
Ok lets figure it out...lol

There are 3 images below...How many and which ones do you see...

The GQ engine bay below from photobucket...
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/Autechenginefront2.jpg

A trusted education site picture.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/175.jpg

Or this uploaded picture of a dog dressed up in a banana costume...

Winnie
15th May 2012, 12:45 PM
I usually can't see photos from photobucket at work, but I can see that one of the engine bay.

AB
15th May 2012, 12:59 PM
Oops, it bought it over as an attachment....Now It's updated to reference from PB only.

Can you see it now???

Richo460
15th May 2012, 01:09 PM
LMFAO, hahahahaha, that dog is hilarious, though it is 5am and i have just done my 10th 12hour night shift in a row.
Anyway yeah i get the hand and pencil pic and obviously the dog one, which is an an attached image box, but nothing else. Must be the photobucket thing. All the vids are blocked too.
Thanks for your help

Winnie
15th May 2012, 01:16 PM
No, can't see it now.

T0nka
17th May 2012, 09:06 PM
People, i have the solution to all your pc problems.. listen up im only going to say this once.

Buy an Apple iMac :)

I did and i bloody love the thing

NissanGQ4.2
17th May 2012, 10:11 PM
People, i have the solution to all your pc problems.. listen up im only going to say this once.

I thought you said you has a solution..................I'm still waiting *L*

Winnie
17th May 2012, 10:15 PM
Macs are for people who aren't capable of using a PC.

Clunk
17th May 2012, 10:18 PM

Uh-hum... cogh cough sputter hach argghhhhhhh.......... hold on while I pick me teeth up of the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!did someone go all Hannibal Lecter on ya and scoop out your brain??????!!!!

Best stop now before I mention iTunes ...... woooops to late

T0nka
17th May 2012, 10:27 PM
ahhhh itunes.. a program i detested all my life. After mac purchase i did a bit of reading on itunes, now i love the bloody thing. i bought a snap on for it which cleans all my files, renames them properly with genre and finds all the album covers.

itunes number 1 oh yeah!

and kristoffa ive been a pc tech for over 20 years, in the last 4 ive also been an apple tech.. i have seen the light, apple computer builds are SUPREME.

2TROLLFAM
20th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Can you divide an external hard drive so that part of it Mac & part PC? Getting sick of transferring movies onto a USB stick but my DVD player doesn't recognize my hard drive cuz its formatted for my Mac

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5njlye

NissanGQ4.2
20th May 2012, 02:30 PM
Can you divide an external hard drive so that part of it Mac & part PC? Getting sick of transferring movies onto a USB stick but my DVD player doesn't recognize my hard drive cuz its formatted for my Mac

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5njlye

You lost me......what are you trying to achieve????

Sounds like you have both a PC and a MAC and have an external hard drive for the mac and want to use it on the PC ( or both machines )

Is that correct.

Why are you transferring movies onto a USB Stick?

taslucas
20th May 2012, 02:46 PM
Can only have one format on a external hard drive. You could buy another external hard drive, they ate cheap now. But would you be able to transfer movies from your mac onto a Windows formatted hard drive? Don't reckon....
Can you get a cord to go straight from the mac to the DVD player?

Tap, crackle, pop

2TROLLFAM
20th May 2012, 02:54 PM
I can transfer movies from my Mac formatted hard drive to USB or to Brads hard drive (formatted for PC) using my Mac & then plug them in and watch on dvd/tv just can't plug MY hard drive into DVD/tv directly.

Thanks - wasn't sure if I could somehow run both formats - will just have to get a new hard drive for movies & music LOL

Sorry I worded the question crappy.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f3td5w

taslucas
20th May 2012, 02:57 PM
ahhhh itunes.. a program i detested all my life. After mac purchase i did a bit of reading on itunes, now i love the bloody thing. i bought a snap on for it which cleans all my files, renames them properly with genre and finds all the album covers.

itunes number 1 oh yeah!

and kristoffa ive been a pc tech for over 20 years, in the last 4 ive also been an apple tech.. i have seen the light, apple computer builds are SUPREME.

I find the problem with itunes (and difficulty with most music libraries) is when you upload your own music from CDs. It's all well and good if get your music online, it comes named and with the genre, album cover etc. But if you upload your own off CDs then it's really a pain to rename. Damn thing tries to automatically find the name etc next time I go on the net but more than once it has put the wrong name and album art onto the music! Aahhh!

Tap, crackle, pop

T0nka
20th May 2012, 04:23 PM
Thats why i use a prog called tune up, its top stuff

rusty_nail
21st May 2012, 11:27 AM
tune up media works well, definately worth the few bucks it costs.

make sure you dont confuse it with tune up utilitues they are completely different things

Richo460
22nd May 2012, 06:19 AM
The great thing about PC's is you can still pirate most software for them, with apple you gotta pay. To swap to apple i would need to buy a new phone and computer and laptop. Screw that.

Clunk
22nd May 2012, 10:04 PM
The great thing about PC's is you can still pirate most software for them, with apple you gotta pay. To swap to apple i would need to buy a new phone and computer and laptop. Screw that.

Shhhhh us respectable Patrol owners wouldn't dream of doing such a thing like pirating software or music or films........ We only download patrol manuals from forums for our pride n joys ;)

Taps a lot!!!!!!

2TROLLFAM
22nd May 2012, 10:11 PM
Shhhhh us respectable Patrol owners wouldn't dream of doing such a thing like pirating software or music or films........ We only download patrol manuals from forums for our pride n joys ;)

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Things that make ya go HMMMM! LMFAO

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5m2gfq