PDA

View Full Version : problem with auto

frank1
30th November 2011, 09:07 PM
hi im frank i have nissan patrol GQ1992 auto
i was driving it yesterday and it had a winding noise in it and then all off a sudden i had no gears at all whn car cooled down i could only get reverse
can anyone help me please
cheers frank

AB
30th November 2011, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Frank, don't forget to post up an intro about yourself in the introductions section.

I'm sorry mate but I have to ask the obvious question first. How's the transmission fluid level?

Just checking...

NissanGQ4.2
30th November 2011, 09:52 PM
yep with with AB check fluid first, and let us know, could be many things, auto gearboxes are complex in a way *L*

check my thread out on a 1992 Auto gearbox rebuild: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5942-RE4R03A-Gearbox-Rebuild&highlight=gearbox+rebuild

and don't forget that intro

Cheers

Todd

Sir Roofy
30th November 2011, 09:56 PM
hi im frank i have nissan patrol gq1992 auto
i was driving it yesterday and it had a winding noise in it and then all off a sudden i had no gears at all whn car cooled down i could only get reverse
can anyone help me please
cheers frank
depending on what you paid for your gq and what your mechcanical skills are you maybe ok dollar wise
but to get a box for it you maybe up for big dollars had a mate in the same position as yours and also my gu has done the same its about 4k to do
good luck with it mate

Finly Owner
30th November 2011, 11:03 PM
The answer to your question is based on these assumptions:

Lack of transmission fluid-cooked box-needs replacing/rebuilding
Poor quality fluid-damaged drive clutches(hence revers still works)
Oil cooler blocked in cooling fins or no cooler: cooked box replce/rebuild

IN a nut shell thats it with a scale of symptoms and damage that could be more specific with more info.

Tim

Silver
30th November 2011, 11:47 PM
hopefully could be low fluid = froth and bubbles = no go. Sitting for a while consolidates froth and bubbles, and low level only allows reverse.

It's been ages since I had auto problems, and that was in a C4 behind a Clevo in an f100. When hot it used to blow ATF past the torque converter seal.

I am furiously touching wood now, as loverly Wife's Camry has an auto.

frank1
3rd December 2011, 10:05 AM
hi guys thanks for tht
i started the car this morning had tht winding noise got under car while it was running noise sounded like it was coming frm bell housing area could it b a dodgie troque converter

frank1
3rd December 2011, 10:15 AM
hi guys thanks for tht
i started the car this morning had tht winding noise got under car while it was running noise sounded like it was coming frm bell housing area could it b a dodgie troque converter

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2011, 10:16 AM
Just at a guess most likely drop the oil and see what falls out
and whats on the end of the plug

sorry mate but if theres noises in there --well its sick

frank1
3rd December 2011, 11:35 AM
drained oil nothing fell out

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2011, 01:30 PM
drained oil nothing fell out

is the oil discolored, smell kinda burnt

Silver
4th December 2011, 02:46 AM
The first thing I'll say is that I know nothing about Patrol autos, and only a tiny bit about Ford C4s that rubbed off from a mechanic mate of mine as he was fixing mine.

The second is that I assume the problem continued when the box had the right amount of some nice fresh oil?

Third, if there is an oil cooler, are the lines to and from free of kinks and crushes? Not that I know that would cause the problem, but it is easy to look for.

Is it easy to take the pan off the that auto? Kinda like removing the sump from the engine? That may reveal more yuck, and will show a filter, probably dacron fabric stuff that strains out the lumps - which again may tell a story to the experienced.

frank1
4th December 2011, 07:09 AM
sure did it was bad

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 03:16 PM
Is it easy to take the pan off the that auto? Kinda like removing the sump from the engine? That may reveal more yuck, and will show a filter, probably dacron fabric stuff that strains out the lumps - which again may tell a story to the experienced.

yep very easy 2 remove :)

frank1
5th December 2011, 06:36 AM
we cleaned it out put new oil & filter runs sooo smooth now

Silver
5th December 2011, 09:35 AM
great news!