PDA

View Full Version : vibration in front end of GU 4.2 Turbo Patrol

bones5
30th November 2011, 02:07 PM
I have a 1999 Nissan Patrol Gu 4.2 Turbo and have just in the last week or so felt a vibration in the front .It occurs when I hit a small pot hole in bitumin road only on the left hand side. If I hit a pot hole on the right hand side nothing happens only on the left.
I have checked the wheel bearing by giving the wheel a shake whilst on the jack but they do not move.Can someone please help
Bones5

Dhuck
30th November 2011, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Your issue could be a number of things. You may wish to ask you question in the General-Mechanical-Discussions Thread (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-General-Mechanical-Discussions.)

AB
30th November 2011, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, good to see a local from me on board!

My misses old's live in Eltham and I'm originally from Warrandyte....Great area!

As Dhuck mentioned, put up the question in that category as a lot of people don't read the intros.

Enjoy!

Finly Owner
30th November 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

Silver
30th November 2011, 10:19 PM
Welcome Bones5

Clunk
1st December 2011, 12:22 AM
G'day Bones and welcome aboard mate

Maxhead
3rd December 2011, 06:47 AM
G'Day Bones, welcome to the forum mate

patch697
3rd December 2011, 09:06 AM
Welcome aboard mate.

Vibrations are a bugger of a thing to track down in a full chassis as the noise can travel, so what you thinks coming from may actually originate from somewhere else entirely.

That being said shaking/ pulling on a front wheel when its on a stand will not always give you a clear indication of bearing movement.

If you have a live axle front diff try putting it up on axle stands leaving around 2 inches or so clearance at the bottom of the tyre, stick a leaver under the tyre itself & lift up applying a fairly reasonable amount of force.

With your other hand on the sidewall at the top of the tyre repeat this process several times lifting the leaver up then letting it down & if you feel a clicking at the top of the wheel you have movement in one of two things, either your wheel bearings or your swivel hub bearings.

The same process can be used to check IFS front ends but in this case you will be checking for excessive wheel bearing & ball joint movement as they do not have swivel hubs as such.

A second pare of eyes looking in from the front at the the swivel hub (live axle) or the stub axle & control arm assembly (IFS) can help here.

It would also pay to check your tie rod & reaction rod ends ends as well. This can be done on the ground with one person wiggling the steering wheel from side to side with another inspecting the components for excess movement.

altech
3rd December 2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Bones5, try swapping front wheels with the rear wheels and see if that helps because you said that you hit a pot hole ,so I think that rim might have a dent of it's inside side wall which would make it not as round any more regards Altech

wildgu6
4th December 2011, 08:50 PM
Hey Bones, welcome aboard the best site around.
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences.
Hang around and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Check ya wheel bearings, adjusted mine and fixed a similar issue, could of even thrown a weight when you hit the pot hole, so check balance as well.
Could be a number of things really, just a process of elimination.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete