PDA

View Full Version : problem with fuel system

Steves01
28th November 2011, 05:52 PM
I am after any information about the fuel system in a 1999 GU 4.2 turbo diesel. I had dirty fuel (water) which I have drained and cleaned the tank. I have replaced the fuel filter and check for a filter under the banjo plug (not there). When the car is idling there is no problem however as soon as the engine is revs tonnes of white smoke comes out and the engine sounds like it is labouring. Please help me any ideas

growler2058
28th November 2011, 05:58 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta mgood friendly mob here full of great info and advice.
Jump over to the intro section and say gday youll get heaps of response

patch697
28th November 2011, 07:38 PM
Im no diesel expert but how long have you had it running? It may still have a build up in the cylinders thats coursing the issue & just needs a good run to burn it out or you could have a blockage in one or more injector but wait for others to reply & see whats said.

AB
28th November 2011, 07:46 PM
Hey mate, I replied to your question in your intro...

it sounds like you could just have air in your lines.

Did you bleed the air out when you changed the filter, etc?

My money would be on air in the lines mate so bleed the air out of the filter for starters by plunging the top of the filter with the plastic screw thinngy undone and see how you go.

Let us know if that helps or not. There's a few other things we can check out too...

It is possible you got a dodgy fuel filter too. You could try to put another one on, bleed it, and try that or possibly bypass it for a second to see how that goes...Bit of trial and error but you'll get there...Let us know how you go with bleeding the filter first.

Steves01
29th November 2011, 07:24 PM
Afternoon All,
Well after triating a few things suggested my patrol is starting to run much better. after bypassing the filter it seem to run much much better, so i remove the filter to find that it was not completly full and may have been starving the engine of fuel whilst under load. So in the end it appears that there is just air in the system as suggested. Thank you to all for the brain storming this has been very helpful.

AB
29th November 2011, 07:59 PM
Afternoon All,
Well after triating a few things suggested my patrol is starting to run much better. after bypassing the filter it seem to run much much better, so i remove the filter to find that it was not completly full and may have been starving the engine of fuel whilst under load. So in the end it appears that there is just air in the system as suggested. Thank you to all for the brain storming this has been very helpful.

Good stuff mate, get a new fuel filter on that right away mate and hopefully that fixes it...

Steves01
5th December 2011, 08:28 PM
Well I am back and I was wondering if anyone knows a good diesel mechanic in Cairns. The Bloody thing is not running the best after the fuel problem that I had.