PDA

View Full Version : LWB vs SWB vs Ute (GQ)

Patrol Freak
27th November 2011, 06:53 PM
G'day all not sure if this is where this post belongs as I'm pretty new to the forum but I was wondering what would you prefer to drive as an all rounder vehicle?
Cheers
Jarrod

Clunk
27th November 2011, 06:56 PM
Thats a hard one mate, all boils down to personal preference and what ya need it for. Fow example, I went and got a LWB because I've got family to haul around otherwise I would have gone SWB.

growler2058
27th November 2011, 06:59 PM
Ok open can of worms, here we come hahahahhabaahaha I luv me wagon as Ivan put the back seats down an roll the swag out an I've got a quick setup. No good when out with the family but for a boys trip it's sh1thot. It's got excellent wheel base to cover all terrains and looks tuff! But in saying that I got a soft spot for the utes especially the GQ version and if I was a younger single man a ute would be my preference I reckon! So probably no help to your Q sorry hahahahahaha

YNOT
27th November 2011, 07:07 PM
For me the ultimate would be a wagon cut down to a dual cab ute with a removable pod on the back. This would give me a family wagon with the versatillity of a ute.
Similar to the one below.

Tony

Clunk
27th November 2011, 07:11 PM
For me the ultimate would be a wagon cut down to a dual cab ute with a removable pod on the back. This would give me a family wagon with the versatillity of a ute.
Similar to the one below.

Tony
mate of mine does these for a living, he wants to do mine but I'm not so sure yet

Patrol Freak
27th November 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm buying a LWB GQ off me old man when he buys a new car which I will be keeping, but I too have a soft spot for GQ utes and I'm thinking one of them next to the LWB in the driveway will make a house a home so to speak haha
Cheers for your input fellas keep 'em coming
Jarrod

taslucas
28th November 2011, 09:17 PM
Thats a hard one mate, all boils down to personal preference and what ya need it for. Fow example, I went and got a LWB because I've got family to haul around otherwise I would have gone SWB.

As far as traction and hills go, I reckon the wagons have better weight distribution (to beat the utes) and better wheelbase (to beat the SWB). If your looking at going the harder tracks, a utes lack of panels will lesson the damage. If you want to take more gear or sleep in the back then its a wagon. If you want to take your motorbike or be able to carry a load, its a ute. If you want more manouverability in the tight bush tracks but still keep some gear dry in the back, then its the SWB.

Clunk
28th November 2011, 11:37 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm well I can't make my mind up........ how about just have all 3, once for any occasion!!!!!!! lol

DX grunt
28th November 2011, 11:42 PM
Jarrod,

IMHO this is a no brainer. Go the utes.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?139-DX-grunt...-in-the-flesh&highlight=grunt+flesh

Good luck with your decision.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Ben-e-boy
29th November 2011, 06:28 PM
I like the utes. there is less body to damage than a LWB you dont need to take passengers and a shorty is not a ute
camping is easy in a ute roll out the sway on the tray

menis
29th November 2011, 07:25 PM
easy decision mate!! (even tho its a gu, still gives u an idea)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/denismenis1/IMG_0545.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/denismenis1/netversion.jpg

growler2058
29th November 2011, 07:32 PM
Wow man theres a ghost on your truck.....of a genie maybe hahahahahaaha

menis
29th November 2011, 07:54 PM
Wow man theres a ghost on your truck.....of a genie maybe hahahahahaaha

hahahha yeah mate! i got photos of the genie in the back of my ute later on too:thumbup: LOL na i get bit funny bout puttin personal stuff on this thing called net? ha

growler2058
29th November 2011, 07:58 PM
:bigthumbup:No worries mate fully understand

tusman
4th December 2011, 09:53 AM
Hi mate, I love my SWB and find it is great around tight spots with the better turning circle etc. Going up and down very steep hills can get a bit hairy, the swb is more inclined to pick a wheel up and will try and turn you around alot quicker than the lwb if you lock up the wheels going up and down hills. The shortys have plenty of pros too like less likely to bottom out and more agile, as most of the guy's have said above it's more a personal thing than one is better than the other. Me, I would have the SWB any day. Good luck mate

jazza_v
30th December 2011, 05:40 PM
couldnt agree with you more, you pretty much somed it up, cause i have a swb n i feel its a much better rig. but your right its a personal thing for what people want from there 4wds