PDA

View Full Version : Pulling G's in a GU

teleman
25th November 2011, 11:11 PM
Id like to take a thread and talk about the road manners of the Patrol.
IT NEVER DISAPPOINTS!!!!!!
I live a stones throw away from Mount Dandenong, an recently have been trekking up the mountain for business a lot more regularly. I have been taking my troll to its limits.
Now dont want to incriminate myself, but i can get up the mountain at an average of 80kms an hour.
The only, and i mean ONLY thing wrong with my trolls road handling, is body roll.

The steering is very communicative and weighted very well. The tire track provided by Cooper ATR's provides massive amounts of grip. Turn in is good, but then the roll sets in, But coming out of the corner in third, my 3.0 litre is more then willing to get up an go.

I love my troll. hehe

I know the Patrol is not a sports car, but ive read tonnes of reviews in mags and online and i really dont think the troll is as "big and round" or "woolly and slow" as reviewers think.

P.S My troll is stock apart from whats listed in my signature.

YNOT
25th November 2011, 11:15 PM
I have to agree with you, but only when sway bars are connected.
I have been surprised just how hard I have been able to push my various Patrols over the years both on road and high speed off road, very high grin factor for such a big car.

Tony

DX grunt
25th November 2011, 11:17 PM
I love my 4.2 TDi, too. Does everything I want it to do and doesn't talk back or question my authority. lol

Took it for a drive with the boot empty and it is sooooo responsive. The only downside is that the pod sticks out about 10cm all round and acts like a sea anchor in a head wind.

I love my troll.

Take care out there.

Rossco

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2011, 11:21 PM
I have to agree with you, but only when sway bars are connected.

Tony

What are they Tony???..........you trying to tell me I should not push my patrol as hard as I can while the sways bars are disconnected *LMAO*

YNOT
25th November 2011, 11:52 PM
What are they Tony???..........you trying to tell me I should not push my patrol as hard as I can while the sways bars are disconnected *LMAO*

You can push as hard as you want without swaybars, but as someone who has Patrols with and without swaybars I can tell you that they handle a LOT better with them.

Tony

Silver
26th November 2011, 12:03 AM
I am only an ordinary driver, but there is a particular off camber corner I used to drive every weekday morning in my old '71 F100 ex ambulance. I eventually worked out the right line, and the max speed for the various conditions. My gauge included the amount of noise the tyres were making.

There were quite a few mornings when I heard horrible noises from cars behind who worked on the assumption that 'If that old dinosaur can get around at that speed, so can I', :-)

I have been impressed with the handling of the GQ - and of course anyone coming from a '71 Ftruck with the much vaunted twin I beam front suspension would be :-) I have had a few other cars along the way It is part of the reason why I have avoided a lift. However, since playing with the Brissie crew I have been weakening :-)

I once tried to keep up with a Lotus Mk1 Cortina up a windy road (Old Bathurst for the Blue Mountaineers) in a current model Laser - not a hope :-) Mind you, she could drive as well as having a nicely set up toy!

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2011, 09:13 AM
I once tried to keep up with a Lotus Mk1 Cortina up a windy road (Old Bathurst for the Blue Mountaineers) in a current model Laser - not a hope :-) Mind you, she could drive as well as having a nicely set up toy!

hahahaha I know Old Bathurst Rd very well Silver, travel up and down it nearly every day..................I once done a 180 while traveling down it in the rain don't know how I didn't manage 2 roll it, go off the mountain side or hit another vehicle.......

95% of the time when it rains someone has an accident, I can't keep track of the amount of times the guardrails have been replaced!

Guido
19th December 2011, 05:47 PM
Yep - once you get used to the body roll and the turbo lag of the 3.0 - is a great handling vehicle. If you know the Inman Valley Road (Victor to Yank) in SA - its a great country 2 laned road with lots of ducks and weaves. You don't have to go too fast to make it work for you. I've had the Saturday morning m/cycle riders pull over to let me pass - as I was not out of their mirrors.

sr06
21st December 2011, 09:59 PM
i've just come from a IFS hilux with a 2" and had the trol 3 weeks before a 3" lift went in and the ride is much better then the lux (before and after the lift) and now with the lift i have less body roll loving it only thing i want is less turbo lag other then that couldn't bad mouth it (and i use to love toyota's how dumb was i lol)