PDA

View Full Version : thermostats

ozzyboy
25th November 2011, 04:22 PM
just wondering what thermostat is best to run in a gq 4.2 litre fuel injected?

from my understanding, 82 is standard, 76.5 is another?
does different temperature thermostats make a big difference to over all engine temps?

cheers in advance

ozzy

patch697
25th November 2011, 04:26 PM
I'd stick with a STD rated thermostat mate as the ECU relies on water temp info to help control some of the engine tuning. ie, timing & injector pulse rates.

ozzyboy
25th November 2011, 04:35 PM
cool. reason i looking is:

took gq out for first run at ormeau, owned it 2 weeks.
Started climbing a hill in 4h, temp shot to the roof about a third way up.
turned heater on, put in 4l, walked her up to the top.
sat there with choke on at 2000rpm and temp dropped to normal. Has not raised temperature since(weird?)
Now being new to 4x4, that scared the sh&% outta me, thinkin ima gonna cook it first run
So am currently running through all the cooling system to be sure of no faults

ozzy

patch697
25th November 2011, 04:43 PM
cool. reason i looking is:

took gq out for first run at ormeau, owned it 2 weeks.
Started climbing a hill in 4h, temp shot to the roof about a third way up.
turned heater on, put in 4l, walked her up to the top.
sat there with choke on at 2000rpm and temp dropped to normal. Has not raised temperature since(weird?)
Now being new to 4x4, that scared the sh&% outta me, thinkin ima gonna cook it first run
So am currently running through all the cooling system to be sure of no faults

ozzy

When you say shot up, to what? & on what type of gauge, dash or after market?

The reason I ask is the temp gauge in the dash on a GQ is only hitting the 100 degree mark when its in the red so half to 3/4's is only just getting above running temp.

Most of us run after market temp & oil pressure gauges so we know what is actually going on rather than rely on the sh1tty dash gauges Nissan supplied.

ozzyboy
25th November 2011, 07:03 PM
it shot up to line at top of dash factory gauge

has been fine since, including the rest of the day at ormeau, which kinda has me stumped as to why

ozzy

ozzyboy
25th November 2011, 07:04 PM
When you say shot up, to what? & on what type of gauge, dash or after market?

The reason I ask is the temp gauge in the dash on a GQ is only hitting the 100 degree mark when its in the red so half to 3/4's is only just getting above running temp.

Most of us run after market temp & oil pressure gauges so we know what is actually going on rather than rely on the sh1tty dash gauges Nissan supplied.

might need to look at that myself

Bigrig
25th November 2011, 07:20 PM
Hmmm ... I run a cold thermostat (new radiator also) and mine is good as gold now as it used to shoot to the top of the temp gauge the minute I put it under extended load ...

Personally, especially on a dual fuel vehicle (lpg burns hotter) I'd be using one ...