PDA

View Full Version : Spring Spacers - To Be, or not To Be?

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 09:36 PM
What was the question?? lol

Yep, it's been done before, however just looking for the reasons NOT to go with spacers based on my current setup.

Got 5" lift with tough dog shocks, yarda, yarda, yarda ... Essentially just want a bit more clearance on the sills and thinking a 30mm spacer would do the trick - probably stop the tyres scrubbing the inside of the wheel arches on compression also.

Open to your thoughts and opinions - $100 for spacers versus $500+ for new springs ...

Let me have it!!!! lol

growler2058
22nd November 2011, 09:40 PM
Wellllll by putting spacers in my belief is you compress the spring a b it or give it less up travel or something like that, just heard its not real ggod practice

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 09:42 PM
Wellllll by putting spacers in my belief is you compress the spring a b it or give it less up travel or something like that, just heard its not real ggod practice

Heard that also mate - but for example, last time at springs park, it was slight ramp over that let me down, not travel - I've got a tonne of that and could probably afford the compromise.

growler2058
22nd November 2011, 09:44 PM
Ok then for arguments sake by puttin spacers in are you "weakening" the mounting/positioning of the spring? my mate got some pretty serious air time in his jeep and snapped his spacers

NissanGQ4.2
22nd November 2011, 09:50 PM
Heard that also mate - but for example, last time at springs park, it was slight ramp over that let me down, not travel - I've got a tonne of that and could probably afford the compromise.

So when do you stop Scottie , something eventually will stop you, if you have better ramp over..........you will just try something harder...........more travel..........try something harder.......... Leave it as it is and spend your 100 bucks on bourbon for me *LMAO*

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 09:55 PM
Ok then for arguments sake by puttin spacers in are you "weakening" the mounting/positioning of the spring? my mate got some pretty serious air time in his jeep and snapped his spacers

Good point ... anyone know the answer?? lmao

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 09:58 PM
So when do you stop Scottie , something eventually will stop you, if you have better ramp over..........you will just try something harder...........more travel..........try something harder.......... Leave it as it is and spend your 100 bucks on bourbon for me *LMAO*

Hahaha ... orrrrr I could sort out my alcohol requirements also!!!

Silver
22nd November 2011, 10:27 PM
Good point ... anyone know the answer?? lmao

If you put spring spacers in a Jeep, don't do serious air time - take note Sandra :-)

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 11:00 PM
If you put spring spacers in a Jeep, don't do serious air time - take note Sandra :-)

Definitely not mate!! It'd break!! lol

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2011, 11:48 PM
Got 5" lift with tough dog shocks, yarda, yarda, yarda ... Essentially just want a bit more clearance on the sills and thinking a 30mm spacer would do the trick - probably stop the tyres scrubbing the inside of the wheel arches on compression also.

Hey Scotty

Well you've already got 5" springs in there so your thinking a 7 inch spring lift will sort your limitations out?? Not too sure about that lol. Lets face it your way into the territory of pushing the envelope. Your centre of Gravity will be up there and the limitations that you are describing will not really be solved with spacers.

It sounds to me like your in the market for a new set of wheels and tyres. Sorry i am assuming that you are running 33s?? I think you need to look for some bigger tyres for playing on.... A 35" tyre is a much much better way to add to ramp over clearance that spacers. If you buy new rims to go with them then look for a big negative offset and that will sort of the scrubbing on full flex.

Scotty, if you had 2" springs then maybe but not with your current setup bud. I reckon your asking for trouble, Trouble at that height can end badly.

My 2c

Cheers MR

Skull
23rd November 2011, 12:49 AM
I believe that spacers are illegal in all states not that it would likely concern. I personally think they are more trouble than they are worth. As the boys have already pointed out you have weakend you your spring to vehicle riggidity massively. Original fit = spring in a steel mount. You put a spacer in there and it is all on a peice of urathane. Scary if you ask me. It is useless lift to as it will not aid flex or ride except for a lil height. If your truck is without SRS Airbags go a body lift to look after your sils. You will still drag you chasis rails but it will keep your centre of gravity lower and be much safer than spacers.

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 09:02 AM
Hey Scotty

Well you've already got 5" springs in there so your thinking a 7 inch spring lift will sort your limitations out?? Not too sure about that lol. Lets face it your way into the territory of pushing the envelope. Your centre of Gravity will be up there and the limitations that you are describing will not really be solved with spacers.

It sounds to me like your in the market for a new set of wheels and tyres. Sorry i am assuming that you are running 33s?? I think you need to look for some bigger tyres for playing on.... A 35" tyre is a much much better way to add to ramp over clearance that spacers. If you buy new rims to go with them then look for a big negative offset and that will sort of the scrubbing on full flex.

Scotty, if you had 2" springs then maybe but not with your current setup bud. I reckon your asking for trouble, Trouble at that height can end badly.

My 2c

Cheers MR

Thanks mate - I am running 33's and only just got the King Rims (-22 offset, 15"). Thinking 35's originally, but as said, the 33's scrub, and the spring is 5" BUT with the front bar, winch, sliders, rear bar, and drawer system (full of tools an recovery gear) I reckon I'd be lucky if it's 4" higher than standard due to the weight ...

Hmmm ... back to the drawing board ... 35's?? I'm drooling ... lmao

I just want to play ... harder!!!! lol

35's to me also mean diff gear upgrades (currently 3.9:1) to something like a Marks 4.325:1 or something - not cheap, but see your point for sure ...

My impatience is driving a behaviour of compromise ... Have to stop myself and take more time!!

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 09:06 AM
I believe that spacers are illegal in all states not that it would likely concern. I personally think they are more trouble than they are worth. As the boys have already pointed out you have weakend you your spring to vehicle riggidity massively. Original fit = spring in a steel mount. You put a spacer in there and it is all on a peice of urathane. Scary if you ask me. It is useless lift to as it will not aid flex or ride except for a lil height. If your truck is without SRS Airbags go a body lift to look after your sils. You will still drag you chasis rails but it will keep your centre of gravity lower and be much safer than spacers.

Thanks mate - body lift is illegal also I thought, not that it matters much on what I intend for the rig I guess ... As said, I think I need to slow down and reassess priorities and take my time ... damn it!!! lol

Mazodude
23rd November 2011, 09:12 AM
Body lift is not illegal in QLD. You are aloud up to 2"

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks mate - starting to sweat with the seemingly never ending wish list!!!! lmao

growler2058
23rd November 2011, 09:43 AM

Body lift mightn't be but 2"body 2" bigger tyres 2" suspension your 6 " above standard I bet the coppers would have a look then. Not that your worried about that Scotty Ay:-)

Mazodude
23rd November 2011, 10:50 AM
Body lift mightn't be but 2"body 2" bigger tyres 2" suspension your 6 " above standard I bet the coppers would have a look then. Not that your worried about that Scotty Ay:-)

well that is almost my truck. (just with out the body lift)

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 10:58 AM

Body lift is sort of out for the price and effort for the moment ... as per my other thread I got pulled up a few weeks ago for no mud flaps - they're on now - and he went over the rig and quote unquote said "nice truck".!!! lmao ... not so sure others would have the same view, but demonstrates that I'm not pushing the friendship just yet!! lmao

It'll go up in some fashion, but pretty resolved that spacers aren't the way to go now either ...

Oh well ... here's to 6" springs, shocks and 35's at some stage next year!!! lol

growler2058
23rd November 2011, 11:19 AM
Youll look like this soon Scotty

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 11:29 AM
Youll look like this soon Scotty

That's the plan!!! lol

Eventually it'll be deregistered and put on a trailer to be taken out - I'll buy a "street friendly" Patrol as the daily driver ...

growler2058
23rd November 2011, 12:13 PM
That's the plan!!! lol

Eventually it'll be deregistered and put on a trailer to be taken out - I'll buy a "street friendly" Patrol as the daily driver ...

And the cycle starts again hahhahahahahahahahahahhaha Look forward to the "Son Of Tank" build thread mate hahahahahha

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 01:45 PM
And the cycle starts again hahhahahahahahahahahahhaha Look forward to the "Son Of Tank" build thread mate hahahahahha

I'll call it "Spawn"!!! Of satan no doubt!!!! lmao

Silver
23rd November 2011, 07:37 PM
time for a sill chop to match the rear quarter chop - with integrated sliders to maintain body rigidity :-)

Ben-e-boy
23rd November 2011, 08:46 PM
Hey Scotty

My 2c

Cheers MR

He's hit the nail on the head scott,

time for a sill chop to match the rear quarter chop - with integrated sliders to maintain body rigidity :-)

X2,3and4 thats a good idea silver

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 08:58 PM
He's hit the nail on the head scott,

X2,3and4 thats a good idea silver

Like you know anything!!!

LMFAO!!!

Yep .. I know boss, I know .. just needed a dose of reality!

Ben-e-boy
23rd November 2011, 09:01 PM
Like you know anything!!!

LMFAO!!!

Yep .. I know boss, I know .. just needed a dose of reality!

yep thats me srtong like ox and smart like tractor

Bigrig
23rd November 2011, 09:07 PM
yep thats me srtong like ox and smart like tractor

Hahaha ... clown!!!

-ET 4wd-
24th November 2011, 01:55 AM
Steer away from spring spacers.
I have had a few customers come to me and offer me all types of money to do them but i refuse everytime! if you have to put spacers in it means ya rig is sagged or ya just goin a bit too sick.
Jackin the body up higher on shagged springs is a recipe for disaster as the body will be higher which will move ya COG higher which means the weight has a higher mechanical advantage over the spring which are already suffering.....can cause scary situations on heavy braking and sudden steering inputs....be warned!

Steve.

Bigrig
24th November 2011, 04:41 AM
Steer away from spring spacers.
I have had a few customers come to me and offer me all types of money to do them but i refuse everytime! if you have to put spacers in it means ya rig is sagged or ya just goin a bit too sick.
Jackin the body up higher on shagged springs is a recipe for disaster as the body will be higher which will move ya COG higher which means the weight has a higher mechanical advantage over the spring which are already suffering.....can cause scary situations on heavy braking and sudden steering inputs....be warned!

Steve.

Thanks mate - yep, as said I'll consider myself as having been steered clear of them - back to the grindstone to save some coin for the next batch of upgrades it seems ...

aaron
24th November 2011, 06:25 AM
Ive onley used 50mm spacers once to fix up the sagg in the front they fell out in extream flex so i soon got new springs .....

like the other boy's say stear clear of them use the coin for other mods........

-ET 4wd-
25th November 2011, 01:47 AM
Go to Dobinsons in QLD, ask for Ben and tell him Steve with the green GQ from Sth Aus sent ya. He'll look after you ;)

Steve.

Bigrig
25th November 2011, 09:07 AM
Go to Dobinsons in QLD, ask for Ben and tell him Steve with the green GQ from Sth Aus sent ya. He'll look after you ;)

Steve.

Thanks boss!! It'll be early next year, but have to do something ...