PDA

View Full Version : Warn Winch 9.5xp

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 12:18 AM
just a point of concern for everyone to learn from my mistake!!!
i went to have a new cable on my warn winch and a service and guess what... it would not work, now after it has been pulled apart it has been realised that the drain hole had not had the silicon taken out of the drain at installation and because i have not used it for a while the entire motor has rusted and seized as it was holding water in the motor, as it was installed a few years ago and i have not had it serviced (not thinking it needed it) , ARB have said "too bad" and i have to buy a new motor which will apparently take 3 weeks to get here... and because it is not my fault they will give me an arb gift "like a snatch strap" for the 500 dollar inconvenience!!!
i guess the good news is the rest of the winch still looks brand new and considering up until 12 months ago has been used to resccue quite a few "Toyotas"..

so guys... check the drain holes!!!!!

Scotty

the evil twin
22nd November 2011, 12:48 AM
Who installed it? ARB? Got the Receipt?

If so, head straight for consumer affairs or at least threaten to do so. There are cases of this happening which have been repaired FOC 3 years after install as it is stated in the manual.

The 9.5's are 'factory' for feet down and the feet forward drain port is sealed. If the installer did not remove the silicone from the feet forward drain port and seal the feet down drain then he is totally at fault.

Even if you only get a 50/50 deal you are better off

It is easily proved as you will have the 'tide mark' level with the drain port.

Note to everyone... you should seal up the 'other' port not just unblock the one with the silicone (or buy a sealed winch like the Tigerz 11)

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 12:54 AM
Who installed it? ARB? Got the Receipt?

If so, head straight for consumer affairs or at least threaten to do so.

The 9.5's are 'factory' for feet down and the feet forward drain port is sealed. If the installer did not remove the silicone from the feet forward drain port and seal the feet down drain then he is totally at fault.

Even if you only get a 50/50 deal you are better off

It is easily proved as you will have the 'tide mark' level with the drain port.

Note to everyone... you should seal up the 'other' port not just unblock the one with the silicone (or buy a sealed winch like the Tigerz 11)

this is exactly what happened.... the "tide mark" was there and being that it went into an arb bull bar the drain was not changed... the guys at action 4wd (kelmscott) made the call while i was there as they believed the condition of the winch was excellent except the motor and tried to get it replaced...... no hope, it was done ar osborne park arb....... but to let you know, the guys at action seem to be really helpfull.... i cant fault them, 3 weeks is also a bit steep to wait for a motor!!!
Cosumer affairs..... would be difficult because the first thing the guy said on the other end of the phone said was it was meant to be serviced every 12 months by them as wasnt!!!
good little get out of jail free card....
oh well good learning curve (again)

the evil twin
22nd November 2011, 01:09 AM
Well, there ya go... yet another example of what the A in ARB stands for ... and the B for that matter. Nah, being a bit harsh I guess. I have had nothing but top notch customer service from them at Canning Vale

Still worth another phone call to ARB methinks. Maybe even try the Head Office. If Action 4WD indicate the damage was soley caused by and limited to the faulty install then I'd fight the good fight.

But then again, if I am pee'd off at something I make sure I pee off as many other people as I can just out of spite