PDA

View Full Version : Torque Convertor / Auto Operation

Barney56
21st November 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Guys
I have a 2004 3LTD/Auto (148k) . This is my first 4WD auto but I'm used to auto cars having a higher idle speed in park/neutral and the engine speed dropping a few hundred rpm when selecting gear as the torque convertor loads up.
I have noticed that the Patrol engine idle rpm does not change when changing from park or neutral into gear but you can hear something "loading up" (presumably the T/C). It doesn't change whether hot or cold.
Is this normal?
Is it something like a high stall convertor that doesn't produce enough "torque" at idle to affect engine speed?
Car seems to drive alright and oil colour and level are fine.
Thx
Barney

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 07:35 AM
Mines the same mate and asked a similar question when I bought it - all normal apparently and mines never missed a beat ...

Barney56
22nd November 2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks BigRig - always pleasing to know you're not the only one with the same question

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks BigRig - always pleasing to know you're not the only one with the same question

That's it mate - always good to revisit this stuff too. As with my answer, I knew I'd asked things before, but couldn't remember the exact answer!!! lmao - need refreshers!!