PDA

View Full Version : bolt on bits from a GU to a GQ

yort
21st November 2011, 10:02 PM
ok this might have been done before, but, what GU bits bolt straight onto a GQ?
what bits need a little fiddling around to fit?
what is not going to fit with out so much farking a round, that it's not worth the head ache?

troy

Maxhead
21st November 2011, 10:09 PM
G'Day Troy, AB(Andy) might be able to help you here mate, half his truck has been converted to a GU...LOLOLOL

I'm sure others might be able to help soon as well

yort
21st November 2011, 10:25 PM
cool, at the moment, I'm after a power steering pump. mine has died a horrible death, and she's a bitch to drive with out it! especially with 12.5" tyres on the front

troy

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2011, 10:32 PM
Why would you want 2 put GU parts on a GQ?

yort
21st November 2011, 10:44 PM
cause GQ parts are hard to get in townsville and if I can get a wrecked GU for the right price it would be good info to have and maybe just maybe save me from swearing a lot for no good reason :)

troy

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2011, 10:52 PM
Heaps of stuff mate other than panels.

I reckon the steering pump will go straight on. The GU diffs are considered an upgrade and sort after. They come with stronger internals and bigger brakes.

Most thing non body will be a winner if your looking for a wreck.

yort
21st November 2011, 11:01 PM
cool just got to find one and break the news to my 1st born son, he's gunna be moving out to whom ever I've got to pay :)

troy

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah but it's for a good cause mate! He'll understand!

yort
22nd November 2011, 06:58 PM
he's laughing now but not for long:) wait till i've got him out at the wreckers under a busted up troll hanging on to a spanner or something like that. then it'll be really funny ha ha ha ha ha look out for that joe blake

troy

-ET 4wd-
24th November 2011, 02:08 AM
Ok here goes, Steering box, Diffs, all control arms, body, springs, shocks, tailshafts, fueltanks,
Only thing with the diffs is you will need a adjustable drag link and you will have to retain the GU relay rod for the steering.
If it is a 4.8 then you will need to run 16 inch rims as the front calipers are HUGE!....unless like me you give them a bit of lovin then they fit good!...and do they stop!
Also some of the GU use a in-the-drum handbrake assembly so you will have to remove that to keep the GQ one. (thats what i did!)
gearbox is interchangeable but the shfter will sit back further, the transfers are exactly the same, unless of course it has the above handbrake which will mean there will be no hand brake drum on the back of the transfer.
thats about all i can think of at the mo!

Steve.

yort
26th November 2011, 06:39 PM
sweet thanks steve

YNOT
26th November 2011, 06:58 PM
Ok here goes, Steering box (GU box is stronger and has a better turning circle), Diffs (GU diffs are 40mm wider and have stronger CV joints) , all control arms, body, springs, shocks, tailshafts, fueltanks,
Only thing with the diffs is you will need a adjustable drag link and you will have to retain the GU relay rod for the steering.
If it is a 4.8 then you will need to run 16 inch rims as the front calipers are HUGE!....unless like me you give them a bit of lovin then they fit good!...and do they stop!
Also some of the GU (4.8 auto) use a in-the-drum handbrake assembly so you will have to remove that to keep the GQ one. (thats what i did!)
gearbox is interchangeable but the shfter will sit back further, the transfers are exactly the same, unless of course it has the above handbrake which will mean there will be no hand brake drum on the back of the transfer.
thats about all i can think of at the mo!

Steve.

ET nailed it, I just added a bit more info, thought it might help Todd to understand that a GQ can be improved by adding GU parts!

Tony