PDA

View Full Version : SAFETY ALERT - Energy Saving Light Bulbs

belzi82
15th November 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi All
I have included an email through work in regards to the Energy Saving Light Globes, please see email below.

"SAFETY ALERT – POTENTIAL HEALTH RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH ENERGY SAVING LIGHT GLOBES

We have just received an e-mail from the ACCV (Aged & Community Care Victoria) in relation to the health risks associated with the now commonly used Energy Saving Light Bulbs. The risks are only present in the event that a globe is broken or damaged significantly.

In the event that an Energy Saving Globe breaks at work or at home, it is recommended that you:

 Clear the room immediately for 15 minutes – as the Globes contain Mercury which is poisonous and when inhaled as a vapour can cause symptoms such as migraine and disorientation. All persons and animals should leave or be removed.
 Where possible continue to ventilate the room for 12-24 hours after the initial spill/breakage – open windows and close internal doors
 Do NOT touch or handle (directly) the globe, glass or parts of the globe. Make sure you wear gloves and shoes with thick soles. Contact with the skin can cause skin irritation and allergic like symptoms. If you cut yourself, seek medical attention.
 Avoid inhaling the dust
 Do NOT clean the debris using a vacuum cleaner – as this can spread the dust throughout other areas. Clean up using a piece of stiff paper/card, and place fragments into a rigid and sealed container (such as a plastic container). Dispose of the sealed container in the rubbish – not in the recycling.
 Wash your hands after disposal/cleaning"

AB
15th November 2011, 02:38 PM
Have you seen the picture of the guy who was changing these lightbulbs on a ladder and stepped on the broken glass?

He's foot started to rot after a few days. Kind of looked like a severe case of gangrene.

Maxhead
15th November 2011, 03:48 PM
Holy cow!!!! I was changing one of these globes when I first moved into this house and it smashed in my hand while I was unscrewing it....All the glass and and powder looking stuff went all over my head and face...
So I picked up a vacuum cleaner and cleaned it up!!!!

At least now I know what's wrong with me :)...LOLOL

Bigrig
15th November 2011, 03:53 PM
At least now I know what's wrong with me :)...LOLOL

Helps us with our assessment too!!! lmfao!!

Seriously though - good tip and thanks!!

Silver
15th November 2011, 04:19 PM
that's why LEDs are the next big thing in household lighting according to our sparkie neighbour

wildgu6
15th November 2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up Bel, Got the bloody things right through our place, maybe as they blow they must go. Technology working for us or against us. I wonder.

macca
15th November 2011, 06:49 PM
Another one of our governments great decisions
There are high efficiency bright LEDs ready to be manufactured, they won't be as the big manufacturers have too much invested in the latest good thing, yep you know the compact flouro.
Honestly we dont put them (flouro's) in new homes unless basic's says we have to, we put the 42watt halogen in as it gives better light without the mercury etc.
I really hate being dictated to by beurocrats with a pocket full of pens, a degree and no bloody idea.
Sorry about the rant, I'm going to have another beer now
Macca
EDIT And while I'm at it what do you reckon the carbon footprint is to make and dispose of these things at $23 a tonne
AAARRRRGGGGHHHH