PDA

View Full Version : Bearing noise from gbox x2

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 04:34 AM
Hi!
I saw someone had almost the same problem..but my noise is comming when the drivline is "idle".
I think it is the clutch releasebearing...is it alot of work to disassemble the gearbox? I expect it to be rather heavy... :trink13:

bazz61
15th November 2011, 07:45 AM
gidday, mine only makes the noise when the motor is lugging, and dissapears once revs hit 1200, i'm towing a 2 ton van and hasnt got any worse, just had the box out and heavy duty tuff roader clutch put in ,i''l be pissed if the box has to come bac out ,at 170thou ks you would expect the box to be ok, now for the over heating problem ....... when will it end !!!!

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 08:26 AM
Ahh..overheating sux! I've heard some have mounted bigger radiators, and that solved their problem...may be that their old radiators where clogged up..

Have you checked the timing for the diesel? If that's just a littlebit of, the engine overheat an it won't be as powerful..

AdrianY60
15th November 2011, 11:37 PM
I have this noise too..! For me it's only a noise when the rpm's are under 1400, but not when i am idling, only when i move. As soon the rpm's are over 1400, the noise is gone. The sound is like a bearing that is worn out, anyone have an idea of what this is? Maybe it is the same problem as u have waxfraq?

WaxFraq
16th November 2011, 10:49 AM
yeah...I think it may be...I'll need to replace my clutch soon, and in the clutch kit there was a new bearing. So I'll see if it's worn out...see if noise goes away when you press the clutch..

pearcey
17th November 2011, 08:56 PM
HI Maxfrag
your problem may be one of two things. First the thrust bearing may be touching the pressure plate fingers and if the are uneven the bearing will rattle. To check this you will have to push the clutch lever back so the bearing clears the fingers, you have to do this while the care is idling. If the noise disappears the finger heights are slightly uneven but it wont do any damage, just put up with the noise.
Second the springs in the clutch plate may be weak or broken allowing the hub of the clutch plate to rattle on the front gearbox shaft this is very common with 4.2 diesel. Neither of these faults will cause any real damage ore let you down their just annoying.