PDA

View Full Version : Oilly Rear Disc Brake

judea05
15th November 2011, 02:26 AM
Hey Guys,

Today i noticed alot of oil on my rear disc/rim/tyre.......

Im thinking a leaking line or a broken seal in the brake calipers....????

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jude

Silver
15th November 2011, 02:53 AM
has the fluid level in your brake master cylinder reservoir dropped, or your brake warning light on? If not, that would probably rule out brake fluid.

Brake fluid smells different to diff oil as well.

canuck
15th November 2011, 05:57 AM
It is likely the rear inner oil wheel wheel bearing seal. The left-hand side tends to go more often. I did mine last March with the help of a neighbor, Alex, who is a retired mechanic. We changed both sides, even though only one was leaking. Because gear oil had washed out some of the bearing grease, we pressed off the bearings, cleaned them and repacked them with fresh grease. When you pull off the bearings, you will also need to replace the outer bearing grease dust seal. Setting the bearing back on the shaft is a bit of a pain, as the FSM requires 325-362 ftlbs or torque. This is when you wish the rear was a full floater. Alex made up a modified socket welded to a piece of spring steel from a brake pedal (about 14' long) and hit it with a BFH to adequately tighten the nut.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh33/canucksafari/DSCF4905.jpg?t=1321295177

About 20,000 kms later, all is still good. Be careful to put the shaft in straight into the axle housing or you will nip the inner oil seal and be doing is all over again.

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 09:44 AM
Need to support canuck on this one I'm afraid...I had this done on the front axel last friday...at a autoshop..pretty expencive, but has to be done! It washes away the grease on the wheelebearing, and trashes up the breakpads.

It isn't impossible to do by your own, but it's alot of job..so a workshop manual is to prefer(?).

Good luck!!!

YNOT
15th November 2011, 03:11 PM
Need to support canuck on this one I'm afraid...I had this done on the front axel last friday...at a autoshop..pretty expencive, but has to be done! It washes away the grease on the wheelebearing, and trashes up the breakpads.

It isn't impossible to do by your own, but it's alot of job..so a workshop manual is to prefer(?).

Good luck!!!

Check this thread for information and photo's showing how to remove CV joints to replace the front inner axle oil seals; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Tony

canuck
15th November 2011, 03:32 PM
If you don't have all the tools, I am sure you could just remove the axle(s) and take it to a shop to press off the bearing, then repack or replace the old bearing and put it back on to the correct torque. You could save a bit of money on the labor going this route. I was just lucky that Alex had everything their from his old business.

judea05
16th November 2011, 04:56 PM
Hey Mate,

Nah the fluid in the reservoir hasn't changed................ and brake pedal doesn't feel different........

So like Canuck said it maybe the wheel bearing.......

Thanks Jude

judea05
16th November 2011, 04:57 PM
Hey Canuck,

Thanks for your post, ill have to check it out tomorrow...

Thanks Jude