PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temps

Maxhead
14th November 2011, 05:49 PM
Just a quick one boys and girls,

Those with a CRD and a scangauge or coolant temp gauge what are your temps??

I get between 89 and 94 degC. Have had it to 101degC towing my camper up Clyde Mountain (pretty steep and long).
Just wondering if that sounds about right

Maxhead
14th November 2011, 05:57 PM
Or any GU 3.0l with a gauge should give me a good indication...Cheers

Skull
15th November 2011, 02:00 AM
Tis bout the same as my 03 but it was not a CRD. Check your radiator. After getting stuck in silty bog holes my truck began to over heat. I wash it thoroughly everytime i go out but obviously not good enough. My radiator was chocked full of sand. Pulled the fan and shroud off and you should have seen the stuff I hosed out. Filled the bloody driveway. You can't get to it from the front for the A/C condenser and other coolers. Going to make a hose attatchment to get in there without removing shround me thinks (staun maserjet). If you are worried do a flush with good alkaline salts then top her back up with the best quality coolant you can afford (trust me it makes a huge difference if your car is borderline boiling each day). When you flush make sure that you flush the whole engine as well. Most blokes drop the bung on the radiator and thats it. Thats less than half the coolant volume. You top that off with pre mix coolant and it is now half strength. I find the best way is to pull the thermostat so it can drain the block. Flush with a hose via a heater hose (heater on), top radiator hose and resvoir pump suction to ensure anything left in the block is just clean water. Then top off with concentrate ( Not Pre mix) so anything that is left will not dilute the coolant just become part of the mix. Should fix any issue. In a truck that young however I don't think you have one. By the way. Beware the plastic tanks. Not so bad for an 08 radiator but my 03 the top tank was fingered. Hose clamp crushed the top hose and it blew off. And the small barb for the resevoir blew off aswell. Cheap shit. Get an ally radiator. Tough as nails and will help with cooling as bigger capacity and more surface area for heat transfer.

Maxhead
15th November 2011, 05:40 AM
Cheers mate, good info! Interesting getting that much sand in it, I better go and have a look at mine...lol

Mate of mine has an 05 and he's getting similar temps as well but thought I'd check just to make sure.

May be I could ask this differently. What is normal operating temperature for these?

Skull
15th November 2011, 08:44 PM
Will let ya know end of the month when I am running in my new one... Can't F#@!ing wait.